Mangusta thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nice looking wheel. The one I posted is the wide rear wheel. We did add some small details before sending it for printing. I wish I knew you had such nice pictures of the front wheel!!

The model wheels we did are tiny(less than an inch in diameter). What do you plan on doing with your wheel?

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 2010

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I just saw Fantasy Junction has a very original < 10k mile car.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #128 F1tommy, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are the wheels we did, only they are less than an inch tall. Both front and back Mangusta prototype wheels with Dunlop racing tires in 1/24th scale. They still do not have wheel bolt holes yet as I am making several versions.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #129 Mang, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  5. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    That certainly is a gorgeous machine!! I love the Mangusta in black, I would have bought one but can't part with my car and would need to in order to make it a possibility. I don't think that car is going to go much higher though.

6. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Mike is your goose gone???

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #132 Mang, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    nah, kinda put away for now...

o/t I am now a Subaru NUT! I drive the snot out of my WRX and can't get enough of that thing! I actually look forward to snow, I heard these things are an absolute beast in the snow!

now back to THE most beautiful car ever penned, the mighty Mangusta! :)

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #133 Mang, Sep 29, 2009
    NEP likes this.
  9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    When I was at the factory in the '80s on a tour, I found the dark gold car with the
    sunroof and looked inside and the dashboard instruments were painted on so it was evident it was not a running car. But later on, maybe decades later, I saw a story on DeTomaso and the car was running so I think they lifted the body off the non running prototype and installed it on a production chassis, with the extra wide wheels.

I also met Dean Martin Jr. When he was driving the brown car with the big sunroof. He had smashed the front and was at a body shop getting a bid. Coincidentally he had earlier smashed a Vallelunga.

I once talked to a guy around Encinitas who said he had the ex-Dean Martin Goose still smashed to the windshield.

The Sports Car Graphic car once belonged to Don Vordermann Automobile quarterly editor, who pictured the car in his magazine.

I believe it belonged to Amory Haskell Jr. Mrs. Detomaso's brother, who was killed in a plane crash after joining DeTomaso as an exec. He had a personalized license plate on the car AH were two of the letters.

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    VeloceToday.com is going to do a Mangusta story. They need a couple cars pictured.
    Here's your chance to plug the shop that you like that did the work, by writing a caption mentioning them "paint was by Pete of Yadda yadda"

The net mag is VeloceToday.com and the editor Pete Vack reachable at [email protected]

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #136 Mang, Oct 21, 2009
  12. vyprgt2

vyprgt2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #137 vyprgt2, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    Is this photo of a Prototipo Mangusta copper metallic?? http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=939531&stc=1&d=1242694270 If so, t is very different from Pantera copper metallic http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/3071794333_55d6b67967.jpg

Does anyone have any photos of a Mangusta in copper metallic? I want to repaint my car that color (its original color) and cannot find much reference material...Thanks for any help!

13. chrispy2926

chrispy2926 Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    victoria,australia
    Full Name:
    christopher davies
    #138 chrispy2926, Jan 25, 2010
    NEP likes this.
  14. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #139 jm3, Jan 28, 2010
    Did you pull the door panels all the way off? there is a pretty good amount of overspray in there, but may have already been painted over. If not, the area where the back window and the upholstery meet will reveal the true color. It is pretty infrequent that the rear window was pulled out to repaint the car.

15. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Greetings, fellow Mangusta enthusiasts. While I've never owned nor ridden in a Mangusta, I've admired it as a rolling piece of sculpture since I saw orange #8MA-882 in my adoptive hometown of Puebla, Mexico in 1969, soon after it was purchased new by Gustavo Díaz Ordaz Jr, son of the then-President of México. This Mangusta's thorough restoration (in its original orange color) is nearing completion in Mexico City, and its owner periodically sends me photos of ongoing work. I found it (and its owner) thanks to qv500 and Mangusta Int'l's records, and some web sleuthing.
    A question: while attending the 1994 Monterey Vintage & Historic Races, I saw a burgundy Mangusta in the De Tomaso "corral" bearing a California lic. plate which read "1 of 401". Anyone know anything about it?
    My thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and insights about Mangustas on this thread, and I look forward to more of same.

16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    puebla, cool story, you mentioned the owner periodically provides you with photos of the restoration underway....I LIVE for that ****p! PLEASE post photos of the orange beauty!

mangusta = "rolling sculpture" :)

17. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Mang,
    thanks to the internet, I think I've ascertained the identity of the 1967, burgundy Mangusta (California lic. plate "1 of 401") I sighted at 1994 Monterey Vintage & Historic Races, to wit:
    Chassis #8MA-652
    First owner: who knows?
    Sold/shipped to a John Britton, in England, circa 1994
    Repainted yellow (appeared in a Kylie Minogue music video, circa 2001)
    Sold to a Mark Baxtrem
    Mark Baxtrem attempting to sell the Mangusta, as of Feb. 2010

Re. orange Mangusta #8MA-882: I respect the privacy of my fellow Mangusta enthusiasts, so I cannot share any info/photos from the present owner of same, until he gives me permission to do so.

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    thats cool about the photos and I understand,

Kylie Minogue = HOT....Kylie Minogue in a Mangusta = SMOKIN' HOT!!! :D

19. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Is it spring yet? Can't you just put them on your killing me here. :D

20. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    so nice choice!!!

Mike, i am sure it will look KILLER with them!

:)

21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    .....you guys are KILLING me! With up to two feet of snow expected in the next 24 hours, don't you think a little patience is in order??? It's still Feb.! lol

I promise more 'teaser' shots at least as she sleeps warmly under blanket for the winter! :D

by end of day today!

22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #147 Mang, Feb 26, 2010
  23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is going to be fantastic looking!! i am so happy you found those wheels!!

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice wheels and tires. Your car will look great with them.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 24th 2010

25. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i cannot wait to see them

p.s. drop me a line whenever you will feel the need to get rid of it ;)