Manual F430 or 458? DIY maintanance? | FerrariChat

Manual F430 or 458? DIY maintanance?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HairyAsHell, Aug 5, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which would you get if you had a choice?

1. Manual F430

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. 458 Italia

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Hey all,

I am about to buy my first Ferrari and was considering the above as I would prefer that it holds its value or appreciates in the future. Although the 458 is stretching my budget a bit but probably the better car to get, I'd love to hear from you all. Furthermore, I am considering doing my own DIY maintenance as much as I can to save on regular maintenance costs as I am quite handy with tools etc. So my question would be, how much of the regular maintenance can you do by yourself and which would you engage a workshop for? What are the kind of yearly maintenance cost am I looking at for these cars? Please share your thoughts!

paulchua likes this.
  2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The manual 430 purchase price is every bit of that of a 458, and in many cases more!

tfazio likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you like a manual, that would be your best choice in a fun car....both my fun cars are manuals.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    over here in Singapore, the manual F430 are rare but not as expensive as the 458.

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I bought a 2009 F430 two years ago and have done engine oil/filter changes, F1 fluid change with a Launch X431 I bought off Amazon, power steering fluid changes, and brake fluid flush also using the Launch. I haven’t done the coolant yet because it was just changed before I bought the car. I bought the coolant system vacuum tool, also from Amazon, to do this with. YouTube has been an incredible help.

If you can change the oil on a Honda or Toyota, you can do all of it on your Ferrari. There’s lots of people willing to help on the Forum.

To be honest, I couldn’t afford the car if I had to take it to a dealer for the simple maintenance. $500-$600 for an oil change is ridiculous. It costs me $100 and a couple hours. It takes a couple hours because I like to drop the entire belly pan instead of using the maintenance panel. If I just used the panel it would take 30 minutes. Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is $28 for 5 quarts at Walmart. Oil filters are shipped to my house from Amazon.

F1 fluid flush was $30 in fluid and the cost of the Launch, which I’ll have forever.

Brake fluid flush was $40.

Power steering fluid change was $15 in fluid and the cost of a turkey baster.

PM me if you need help with your car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Andy1M3

Andy1M3 Rookie

Jul 23, 2022
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You can 6 speed swap an F430, or pay to get it done. Parts are getting more and more available as time goes on.
    F430 is undoubtedly more DIY-friendly than a 458, but also a bit less reliable.
    I think the answer to your question lies in your preference of 6 speed or F1 transmission.

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Forgot to mention the spark plug change. That was $120 and a couple hours. Spark plugs were sent to my door by Amazon.

HairyAsHell likes this.
  8. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Lol, and the accessory belt. $25 for the belt, and 5 minutes when I was doing the oil change.

The best part of all this is I know it was done, and done right! A mechanic doesn’t care about you or your car like you do.

RedTaxi and HairyAsHell like this.
  9. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Thanks for all the info! I was thinking the same thing about taking it to a dealer for regular maintainance. I'm usually a fast learner and able to DIY things myself. Although I have not personally worked on an engine before but I do understand some of its components. Would you say those services you mentioned would be difficult to do?

10. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Isn't the 458 a dual clutch and not F1?

11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    They were all very easy to do. The first time I was nervous, which made it difficult. Now it’s very simple. Just like maintaining my other cars and toys.
    Don’t freak out because it’s a Ferrari, it’s just a fuel injected, internal combustion engine, like all the other cars on the road.

12. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Yes, the 458 is a dual clutch and I’ve heard it doesn’t wear out. The F430 is a single clutch and it will wear out. I’ve got 14,000 miles on mine and I have 72 percent remaining.

F1 refers to the paddle shifting system, as compared to a stick shift.

The 458 was out of my price range. Read up on 458 transmission failures before you buy a car.

13. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Yes I've been talking to some Ferrari mechanics locally. They said the dual clutch on the 458 can last upto 100k miles while the F1 needs to be changed every 30k miles. Is your F430 manual or F1 transmission?

14. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    It’s an F1. I had a Porsche Boxster that was stick, I was tired of shifting.
    There was a manual Spider next to my car in the showroom, but it was $60,000 more. Looking back I should have bought it.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you're comparing a manual shift to a DCT, the key is how are you going to drive the car? If you're a Sunday, back-road driver, get the manual. It will be more fun. If you're a track rat, get the DCT. There is no way a manual can keep up with a DCT on the track.

USMCS6, technom3 and RedTaxi like this.
  16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I've had my 430 manual for 5 years now I love it and I do all the basic maintenance myself. I have toyed with "upgrading" to a 458 but they are $100k more in my country. Also every DCT car I've driven, I've gone wow this gearbox is amazing but within 5 minutes have found it boring/sterile. Oh and there is plenty of big $$$ horror stories about DCT's.

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  18. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Im based in Singapore... one of the most expensive places in the world to own a car lol

Yes while DCTs are reliable but replacing them is costly. If you think about it... DCTs last 3 times as long as a single clutch transmission but costs 3 -4 times as much to replace. I guess they add upto about the same in terms of cost.

Not going to be tracking it often actually. It's more for the occasional drive.

19. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes

20. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    We’ll that’s a little too far for me to stop by and help you lol. I’m in California.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Just a word of caution, the 458 is definitely not designed to be friendly to people who work on their cars. Even with a lift, a lot of simple things are not simple. Without a lift, just forget it.

Texas Forever and technom3 like this.
  22. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Single clutch transmissions last forever. The clutch doesn't but it's easy and relatively cheap to replace. A world apart from a DCT.

23. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    good point. I did plan to get a lift for the car but the F430 definitely seems easier to DIY than the 458

24. HairyAsHell

HairyAsHell Rookie

Aug 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Adeeb Md
    Oh btw... I was wondering how much mileage affects these cars. Is it safe to buy these cars with high mileage? I mean, higher mileage is cheaper but if maintained well, do they have reliability issues?

25. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Service history, service history, service history…

HairyAsHell likes this.