Manual Transmission 360/430 or New 911 GT3? | FerrariChat

Manual Transmission 360/430 or New 911 GT3?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Need4Spd, Mar 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    360s and 430s are great cars, but as we know, they are hardly maintenance-free. But if you really want a high performance sports car manual transmission experience, those have been the main options. Until now. The new 911 GT3 can be had with a DCT (PDK in Porsche-speak) like the more modern 458s and 488s, but they can also be had with a true three pedal manual! Yes, the price points of manual 360s and 430s on the used market are lower than that of a new 911 GT3, but the GT3s are reliable (or should be; more so than 10+ year old supercars), fast, and come with a new car warranty. It won't check the box for Ferrari ownership, but for many, it's a good alternative. Evidently, 2/3 of new GT3 buyers agree with this, as manuals being ordered outnumber PDKs.

http://flatsixes.com/cars/911-gt2gt3gt3-rs/report-2-3rds-porsche-911-gt3s-sold-us-ordered-manual-transmission/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    i was on the waiting list for that 991.2 GT3, also seeking a manual, and it didn't seem likely that I would be moving off the waiting list at my local dealer (I was #4 in line but during the entire 3 year run of the 991.1 GT3, they only got 2 cars) so instead of fruitlessly continuing to wait, and me not being willing to pay any sort of additional dealer mark up, I decided to pull my deposit and bought a gated 360.

There probably isn't any metric for this but I feel like it's easier to find a gated 360 than it is to get a GT3 dealer allocation....of course there's one in the classifieds right now....yours for the low low fee of $25k + cost of the car!

3. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    The new 911 GT3 is a great car and credit to Porsche for offering a manual, and credit to 2/3rds of the buyers who actually ordered the manual. But along the same lines it makes the gated 430 and 360 look like a great deal! I’d easily pay less money and go with a gated 430. How can you argue with the last gated manual mid engine Ferrari vs. a Porsche (a great Porsche nonetheless, but still not a Ferrari).

Not to mention the gated 430 will be a lot more rare since there are so few of them out there. With the new 911 GT3 (correct me if I am wrong) they will sell as many as they can build, so there will be many over the production run and it won’t be a rare car like the 911r.

4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    They'll sell as many as they can build but they're still not building enough to satisfy the demand. But since they only built 991 units of the 911R, there's definitely going to be way more GT3s than that!

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well are you asking which one to buy. Take it another way, buy a nice 997S manual car (add 50K in modifications), and you will have a car that can do 98% of what the GT3 can for 90K. It will leave a stock 360/430 in the dust and no it wont check the Ferrari owners box, but it will sure be fun. I went just a bot over board (as usual), and spent almost 130K in modifications on my 997S conversion.

6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    That’s a tough choice depending on what you want. Unfortunately unless you’ve already been allocated a .2 or are on the top of the list it will be very hard to find one anywhere near MSRP. At MSRP the GT3 is amazing but I would never pay an ADM on it. The F430 are very reliable so I wouldn’t worry about that. For street driving I would go with F430 no questions asked especially for the price difference. For track GT3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The Gt3 in a manual, base, silver and black interior with the Touring option is the Porsche I'd LOVE to buy new. It's basically the 911R. I'm with you guys @MSRP it's worth it, above it...No.

The rub is getting an allocation. Porsche isn't a company to hold back on potential profit, so I expect they'll keep building until demand is satisfied. I expect they'll be easier to source in a year or so.
    Really cool car. Not sure it's the same as a Ferrari... but definitely from a performance standpoint it's a car that would tick some boxes with a warranty and reliability.

8. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    So, I just sold my 2018 gt3(pdk) and picked up a f430 manual convertible. Haven't driven the new gt3 in manual form, but the f430 manual is very impressive and way more fun to drive then my pdk gt3 was. I was able to get a warranty(major components) through a ferrari dealership and ferrari financed it. I think the dealership said you could get a warranty for up to 15 years.

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    A couple months before I bought my F430 spider, my local Porsche dealer informed me that they took in as trade an almost mint black-on-black GT3 (PDK) with only a couple hundred miles on the odometer......and that they were going to ask original MSRP! They told me to act super fast because they knew for sure it would be gone that very same day it was offered. When I got there, the car was every bit as gorgeous as I imagined it. I was almost about to sign the paperwork but then I thought about wanting to own a Ferrari since I was a kid. So, to my agony, I backed out. Sure enough, 5 minutes after I left the dealership, I was informed that the car was already sold.

In hindsight, I don't have any regrets. Despite some minor issues I'm having right now with my 430, I still love the car. It's a dream come true for me. To me, a Ferrari is more than just a car. It's an unique and exciting lifestyle and ownership experience. The brand has an almost mythical quality to it and is revered all around the world. Porsches are Porsches. You see them everywhere. Unless you're an enthusiast, no one cares. However, you see a Ferrari going down the road, even the most non-car person will see that as something special.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    For street use, I don't know how much more performance the GT3 would give you over a Carrera S.
    We love ours and use it frequently. It's noticed and commented on everywhere we go, and is very enjoyable to drive.
    But it has nowhere near the fun factor of our three-pedal 360.
    Add the price difference of a GT3, and it would be nowhere in the running.
    Just my $0.02

cavlino and Zcobra1 like this.
  11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I was asked my dealer for a GT3 allocation and was going to trade in my Carrera S, but kept it and added the 3-pedal 360 when they couldn’t get me one.

Maybe I would have loved the GT3, but I have no regrets. The Carrera S has 3 times the ground clearance of the GT3, and is probably a much better Point A to B (daily or long road trip) car. I don’t know how much better of a Point A to A car the GT3 could possibly have been than the 360, which I don’t even really drive to it’s limits.

I’ve done a couple track days and they’re lots of fun, but also expensive and a hassle. If you’re a big track day guy I’d say the GT3 is probably a must have but since I’m not, I think I’m at least as happy having both cars if not more.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    my vote is for the GT3 if you can get it, or the 430M (over priced IMO tho). There will always be tons of affordable 360M available if you change your mind.

13. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'll throw it out there and if someone wants it gone then NP. What about getting a brand new 718 GT4 when they come out. Likely the same $ as a 430m presently....

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I am a current porsche owner and a PCA member.

I vote gt3.

But get a 360 later for special days.

BTW, i sold my 991 pdk gt3 and left my 11RS.

15. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    GT3 production is expected to be less than originally thought due to the engine meeting upcoming regulations. If you're not way up there on a dealer list, it's too late unless you want to pay ADM. I have a few friends in what was thought to be good positions on dealer lists, and they are not expecting to get one.

I had a 360 manual, and it was a fun car. The gearbox was a little clunky compared to a gt3 (I have a 997.2 gt3), but a well balanced car and loads of fun. I had it about 7 years, and loved it. The 430 would be even better, but when I was shopping prices were too close to the scud, and I thought the scud was way more car.....

Bhh and cavlino like this.
  16. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    but it won't rev to 8,500 rpm will it?
    but, for 130K, it certainly could
    grin
    please tell us what you did?????

17. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    don't cry over it.
    There are many pdk GT3 available f/S.
    enjoy the 430.

i have a 360 Modena 3 pedal car and a 996 GT3 and really enjoy driving / comparing the two.
    i have no interest in the more modern computer controlled (chassis) cars.

have fun.

cavlino likes this.
  18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It was more like what didn't I do, the local Porsche dealers refer to it as a kit car since it only has about 35% of its original parts still in it.

19. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    A modified standard Carrera or S is in no way close to a GT3, especially the new one with the 4.0 L race motor in it. A manual box with 9K red line is a rare thing and I would not undersell it. This new car is essentially a better 911R for less money; it's in demand for a reason.........

That said, no Porsche is quite the same as a Ferrari so I would not feel bad about owning a standard shift 360 or 430 - both very fun cars.

I've owned a stick 355 and subsequently a stick 360, and in today's context they are both shaded by newer better cars. Of the two the 360 would be easier to live with, but the 355 has it for aesthetics.

Both are inferior to a 997 GT3 performance wise but the advantage of the Porsche is evident mostly on the track; for street the Ferrari's are tons of fun.

I have a silver Touring spec GT3 incoming, lucky I suppose to have a local dealer who takes good care of me. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to my prior 996 GT3 or my 997 RS I've owned. Nonetheless I do not expect it to have the feeling or sense of occasion of a modern Ferrari (Speciale for me right now).

If possible, one of both is the way to go IMO.

Good luck!

Shinigami likes this.
  20. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    You can't compare the cars man - they are in completely different leagues and within lots of years in engineering/development.

Zcobra1 likes this.
  21. M360Dom

M360Dom Karting

Jul 21, 2009
    New York
    the 430 MT is a very capable machine and in my opinion much more of an over all better experience to drive. As for the new 991.2 GT3 porsche has fixed all the issues they had with the 991.1 gt3, they created yet again a track monster that can be used as a dd. In the end the f430 is an exotic and the porsche is not the ferrari will always be held higher even if the porsche goes faster and handles better. Saying that I'm a guy who loves Porsche and daily drives a Panamera turbo but id never go for a reg spec gated gt3 over my gated f430.

22. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    The GT3 stick in itself, without the comparison, if it can be had at or close to msrp, would be a great buy.
    Will lose next to nothing, or nothing from msrp over 1-2 years of light driving, I would get one if I had the coin !

23. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't have to choose so I have both an F430 and a manual 911 Turbo. However, if I had to pick just one I'd go Porsche GT3. It is simply a better car in every tangiable way. Want to track that GT3? You should because it's way better than the F430. Want to take it on a four hour - or four day drive? Choose the Porsche - it is more comfortable and roomier. Want to impress yourself and nearly everybody who has ever known you and even those who don't? Choose the Ferrari. Because everyone loves them, most haven't seen one up close, and nobody will notice or can tell the difference between a brand new GT3 and a 15 year-old 996 - except other Porsche owners.

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You would be surprised what a 600hp 2400lb car with a chassis rebuilt with lightweight materials that even I could lift can do. Of course having no traction controls, it will also kill you if you are not careful. Most of the parts in the car are 1 offs I had made from my own ideas and I blew a transmission or two trying to get it right. These days the car spends most of its time in storage, my reflexes (and my eyes and arthritis), are not what they used to be, and I have plenty of other cars that are much less likely to cause my demise. When I decided to build this it was Porsche #39 (thought it would be my last now at #41) it took a year and a half (and if really add up everything I have in it including things that I either blew up or the stuff that failed to work the way I wanted all in is well over 300K) to build it. I have driven GT3 it is a ***** cat compared to what I made, but as I have been told as a Porsche it is worthless to anyone but me. Cars are not investments to me they are blank canvasses for me to play with and when the picture is done usually I am too, and on the next canvass.