Manuals and wiring diagrams | FerrariChat

Manuals and wiring diagrams

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by phil99, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    Hi,

I have recently bought a 456 GT - the Ferrari I always craved after driving one from Arizona to San Diego in 1996. Very happy with it too, but it hasn't really had enough use for the past few years and has a few niggles. Some of them are electrical- the latest and most irritating being that the car doesn't want to start (i.e. not even turn over) when hot. latest hypothesis is heat soak into the starter motor from the cats. Do 456s have a starter relay?

Which brings me to my question. Can anyone tell me what manuals / wiring diagrams /anything? are available for the 456? I found the Workshop Manual (volume 1) on line. it has a lot of detail on the Motronic, a bit on the fusebox, but nothing on lots of other things- including the ignition switch/starter motor wiring. The fact that it say "Volume 1" leads me to believe there is a Volume 2, but I am yet to find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. when I get time I will get on with diagnosing the starter issue. I know there is lots I can do without more info at the moment, but would really like to have a wiring diagram down the track.

2. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a printed version of Volume 2. It includes the sections - brakes, controls and running instructions, air con and electrical systems. The electrical systems includes several wiring diagrams.

I remember others have recommended ferraridatebase.com for manuals, etc. Have you tried them?

3. Roygarth

Roygarth Karting

Nov 27, 2013
    Norfolk, England
    I have a link on my PC at work. Will post it on Monday….if I remember. Feel free to remind me if I forget! :)

4. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I pulled Volume 1 and volume 2 off of ferraridatabase, it actually comes as one 430Meg file. They also have just the electrical section, a 75Meg file.

5. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    Thanks for your help. I have looked at Ferraridatabase- a great resource. I might have missed it, but I could only find the first volume. The 430MB file is for the 456M. I've downloaded that hoping the wiring won't have changed too much. Oddly I haven't yet found the starter motor circuit in that manual either.

So I'm still keen to find the second volume for the 456 GT. And a wiring diagram- although finding one I can understand may be a pipe dream....

Cheers,

Phil

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Had the same no start issue. Solved by removing and cleaning all the fuses. End of issue.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Phil- There is no Volume 2 for the 456 GT. If you look at the individual sections, all those in Volumes 1 and 2 for the 456M are contained in Volume 1 for the 456 GT. Volume 2 may have been reserved for the automatic transmission, and was never published. None of our pros have seen tech data on the Ricardo automatic transmission.

I sent in all the 456 GT and 456M GT/GTA volumes to Ben Deetman for ferraridatabase.com, including the expanded section L for the 456M. There probably was an expanded 456 GT Section L, but I have never seen it.

8. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    Thanks for that. A bit worrying trying to work on the car without a wiring diagram.

Do you know if it has a starter relay?

Also, there are some electrical components in the kick panels (including the brains, and I know the flasher relay). They don't seem to warrant a mention in the manual- the manual talks about the main circuit fuse/relay board a lot, but nothing else.

Finally, I am a bit surprised that the starter circuit would go through a fuse- certainly none of the fuse descriptions mention the starter. No other car I have ever encountered has done this. But then this is why I would love a wiring diagram...

I am going to have a day off work tomorrow and try to do some diagnosis. We will see. I think I will resort to a professional if the starter needs to come out- it would be much easier on a hoist.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Phil

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    I have a 2 volume set for the 456 GT and the 456M.

There is no room for it all in one binder.

Contents page for Vol1 is marked A through F and Vol2 marked G through L.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- The one on ferraridatabase.com does not have a Vol 2 marking in the text. It goes straight from F55 to G1, but still has all the relevant sections. The table of contents does show a Volume 2, though, exactly where you said it was. Both of the ones I have are the same. Guess they just left out the Volume 2 divider when they produced it.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Factory paper manuals are 2 binders.

12. user2006

user2006 Karting

Jun 29, 2006
    I have a wiring diagram for the 456M which works well for the 456. Send me a PM with your mail contact and I can send you a link to download it from my dropbox.

Bjoern

13. The Real Student

Oct 6, 2015
    Folks, can anyone help me out with a 456GTA wiring diagram in the area of headlamp motor ? Many thanks.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Download the 456M expanded section L from ferraridatabase.com and see if that helps. Headlights should be the same as the 456 GT.

15. Ah456

Ah456 Rookie

Feb 11, 2015
    Tasmania Australia
    Full Name:
    Adrian Harper
    hi can i get a copy of this file as well?
    cheers Adrian

16. Ah456

Ah456 Rookie

Feb 11, 2015
    Tasmania Australia
    Full Name:
    Adrian Harper
    Ferrari data base doesn't exist anymore. does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 456gta?

17. bttmsport

bttmsport Rookie

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi Bjoern, could you still have the 456 diagram available?

Brgds

Jouni

18. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Does anyone know what happened to Ferraridatabase.com? Site is just a shell with no content now. Is there another resource to download 456 workshop manual and wiring diagram?

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    It had to shut down under legal threat from Ferrari for copyright infringement. And the info is NLA from Ferrari too?

I could comment on Ferrari's non-support of it's older vehicle owner's, but I think you get the picture.
    Alden

20. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    OK thanks.

21. Jetje

Jetje Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    Dear All,
    I have found above old discussions about the 456 wiring diagram. I own an 456GT from the year 1995, so it concerns the first serie. I am also in need of an colour wiring diagram. I have already the workshop manual with the mentioned section L included. I am located in The Netherlands. Can somebody help me?

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't believe it exists. The 456M electrical manual is the only thing I know that's available. It doesn't have a classic wiring diagram, just a lot of individual diagrams that are time consuming to trace from one module to another. I have had better luck with a continuity tester and a volt meter to trace rather than trying to follow Ferrari's manual.

23. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Would anyone be so kind as to send me a link/wetransfer of the 456 workshop manual Vol 2 (sections G to L), please?

Thanks!

Bart

24. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    see my other fuse thread

can i get a copy of this as well ?