Maranello -vs- Diablo article CAR magazine ??? | FerrariChat

Maranello -vs- Diablo article CAR magazine ???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doody, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the May 2000 issue of CAR magazine included a 550 -vs- 6.0 Diablo article. i'd very much like to read it.

if anybody has a copy of this, i'd very much appreciate a scan or fax of it.

many thanks!

doody.

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I am sure Allan has some copies of it lying around :)

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I probably have a copy at home. If I do, I'll send it to you.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have it buried somehwere. Road and Track also tested the 550/Diablo, and so did Evo.

5. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    I have it but not in English :(

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I must say, i LOVE the maranello, but i also loved the quote that said, basically, in the car and driver article "If you really want to race these two high end exotics, the ferrari driver will see nothing but lamborghini tail lights through their respective top speeds, then the lamborghini will disappear!"

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

They also say" Maranello drivers, do not try to make up in braking, what you lost to the Diablo in speed"

8. I watched a video where they say the new murci has 3.2 sec to 60 and 11.7 1/4 of a mile. If those numbers are true Ferrari has something to worry about im a long time loyal ferrari fan but lamborghini is passing them up in the performance department but they cant seem to see it yet.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

What video is this?

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Interesting comparison, do automotive journalists just mix anything together? The two cars are different, the Maranello is a Touring car.

Gabe V.

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ferrari's TR and the Diablo spent the last 10 years going bumper to bumper in every race on the front page of every auto magazine. It has been Lambo's top 12 vs Ferrari's top 12 since Ferrari was forced to build the boxers/512bb to compete with the Lambo Miura 40 years ago.

When Ferrari replaced the TR with the Maranello... the 40 year race either goes on.... or it can be said that ferrari surrendered and bowed out gracefully to let Lambo win the top exotic class $250k range.

Do you understand?....you can't just not show up for the game without someone saying??? What happened to Ferrari, they use to be the best in the top production exotic class? Oh...they dropped that for a GT? Odd?

*Enzo at triple the price and its limited numbers, makes it a cute collector/finance istrument for Ferrari to play, they'll sell lots of posters. But the car was never considered a production car by the Automotive press or public (you had to be invited to buy one) so don't bring up the Enzo.

It will continue to be Maranello vs Lambo until ferrari gets back to a mid 12 ( under $350k and over 1000 units a year) that might beat the Lambo. The Automotive world lives for that war. Its kind of sad right now.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! I love when people say that!
    What you should say is, that in the 270,000 price range, Ferrari is incapable of producing a car to compete with the Lamborghini on any level. So some of us Ferrar blinded, insist on comparing the Murcielago to Ferrari's that cannot be purchased by all but the megarich.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    In the ongoing comparison, of now the Ferrari 575M, vs the Murcielago, Wheels magazine, August 03, just tested the 2. Here is the final verdict.

"The Ferrari failed to meet expectations, while the Murcielago shattered them."

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ferrari use to do it with the 512M..... so I don't like to say they can't compete at $270,000k,... but they chose not to. I think that is a far sadder problem.

To walk away from the exotic supercar class that guys dream about (even if I had 10 million, $300k is about as high as most people want to spend on a car that they are actually going to drive on the street) and for Ferrari to only leave a GT in this class after being the King for so long....someone at Ferrari had to say- "Look Guys, are custumers are getting older and older, and this is the smart way to go".

I'm glad Lambo still represents the rich youth market :) with a super exotic to set goals for. By the time I have $300,000k in my exotic bank account maybe I won't be able to handle all that sex appeal of an Exotic and instead want a 575 GT type car. LOL Ferrari did this for a reason, they aren't dumb, just a bit dull recently....compaired to the 80's and 90's.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Doody,

Check your fax machine. It should be coming over now.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I tried to scan but my flatbed is giving me troubles.

Yeah pretty stupid. Although the top end is not that far off. The 550 can be driven everyday pretty easily, the Diablo still cuts an impressive wake, and requires Hummer-sized parking.

Thank god the world is flat so that Diablo can show off its top end. I would not mind owning one though :) It just has so many 'real-world' issues that these mags don't take into consideration. Like the 550 will make up any distance the Diablo has when the Devil is filling its ever draining tanks.

*ps I never lost to a Devil in my 550. I even passed them on Coldwater Canyon. (LA residents will know that street)

[/rant]

17. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    Azzurro328 faxed it to me this morning. THANK YOU!

i now have a multipage-tiff of the article if anybody else would like a copy.

just email me at [email protected]. it's 1.6MB. the Windows Imaging application and J2 Messenger software (http://www.j2.com/ it's free) can open this file format.

doody.

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree with a recent article in Road and Track that said, if you just want to look at your exotic in the garage, then any lambo will do, but if you really want to drive it, only a Ferrari will do. That being said, with the new Audi ownership the Lambos will continue to be more driver friendly in the future though.

19. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Ferrari has something lambo will never have, class.

Lambo is stuck in the 80s flash in your face look.

I would be embarrassed to drive one unless I was a rapper with big gold teeth and a big chain medallion, then I would be fly and could pick up the hoochie mamas, right Alan?

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I prefer to drive the Lambo, over any Ferrari. It is superior in looks, cornering, braking and acceleration.

Mr Bond, good thing t know, that you will never have the opportunity.

21. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lambos have no class neither do you Alan, you are perfect for each other.

You may think people are looking at you admiring your Lambo but many are laughing at you, just like the Hyundai commercial with the 2 girls and the Dodge err I mean Chrylser Diablo.lol

22. Why the flame wars over Lambo and Ferrari. The cars are both equal to in quality maybe not performance but both are quality machines its just preference from there on. I love both the Lambo and the Ferrari Espacially the Merci and the F355. Its just what you perfer and what you feel suits your needs more not which car manufacture is better.

23. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari and Mr Bond are both in a funny place. How do you get excited about exotic cars, and then back-off and say you preffer driving and building the more un-exotic cars of the exotic car world?

Lambo has "no class? no soul?" those are flame code words for when you have to fight an exotic car battle and your brand is getting thumped on the track in Performance, HP, Looks, Reliability(chains), and Handling(4 wheel drive).

"The Lambo is too exotic looking and only for a rock star"..... Gee Mr Bond, who would ever buy an exotic car and want to feel special like a film star or a rock star. Maybe turn the Ladies heads? I don't know any guy that would want that experience. LOL

From a guy named Mr Bond (aren't those movies all about being 1 in a million?) well...... so is Lambo.

The day Mr Bond wants to blend in and drive a Supra shaped car...is the day the Bond films should be re-named Mr Bean.

This is the funniest post ever.

PS- I still love Ferrari, but they are at a low point at the moment. These things go in cycles Ferrari is at the end of theirs with the 360 and 575, while Lambo and Ford GT are at the begining of theirs.

24. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Mark (Study) - You quote - Lambo has "no class? no soul?" those are flame code words for when you have to fight an exotic car battle and your brand is getting thumped on the track in performance, HP, reliability(chains), and handling(4 wheel drive).

What track has Lambo been on - care to explain. Lambo does not have a lot of track/race experience as far as I can tell. Certainly no pedigree like Porsche, Ferrari, etc. No one is going to seriously race a car that has 4 wheel drive. This seems like a bit of an ignorant statement to me.

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't want to race a 4 wheel drive. I am talking about buying and owning an exotic car. Lambo has two 4's now that are making the 360 and 575 look silly in track times. Who is talking about racing? I watch racing on TV. Don't we all. Only William really races his speacial Track built Ferrari. And a few other guys. 95% of ferrari guys here are 80% street, 20% track.

Good point Rodsky.... I did leave one out- "pedigree" another word we throw around along with "F1" when talking about why Ferrari can't stand up to the Ford GT or Lambo in all the car magazines coming out each month. Want to talk about 2004 or should I give a care about what happened in 1964? Some guys do but they are hardcore ferrari fans...maybe that 1% of that .001% of people.

I look at the car world for 2004, 05 ,06 and try to make up my mind what to buy next. Ferrari needs to make it easyer to chose their car next.

Fine! Ferrari has the best "history". And best "F1".
    What does that have to do with anything? When both the new Lambos and the Ford GT and Viper blow by your 360 or 575 on the track and get all the looks down at the car show, and do it for less money?

Besides BMW and MB are going to win F1 for the next few years. Do you think that will make me want a BMW? F1 racing has nothing to do with which exotic a man in the USA buys. The USA is the largest market for Exotic cars and not many follow F1.