Maranellos are disappearing | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    EUR310 inc VAT = GBP220. I recall that Themaven mentioned that GBP230k would buy the ostensibly similar Argento car at JD Classics.

The Dutch have to deal with BPM, a nasty tax in addition to domestic VAT. Both BPM and VAT/(aka BTW) can be refunded in certain circumstances when a Dutch car is exported (depending on how old it was, how it was owned and if the sale is out of NL or out of the EU) but I am unclear on the details of how such refunds are arranged.

2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    The Netherlands car is advertized as a manual box but is clearly an F1. Mileage per year of the former is 91 and of the latter, 84. Who would want a car essentially undriven for so long? unless all brake & fuel lines, fuel tank, pumps etc replaced and fresh tires fitted?

I am just now replacing the tires on my 2006 Cadillac STS-V with 20K miles and good tread remaining simply because the rubber is almost 9 years old.

Just imagine the thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of hours of pure pleasure and delight these two Ferraris could have brought to someone(s) had they been driven regularly. What a waste! That's how I see it.

I wish I could repurchase my old 1984 Peugeot 505S wagon (brake) that I sold in 1992 with 250,000 km, still as strong as in 1984. Never had the head or sump off the engine, replaced one clutch, brakes of course new pads and linings but never had to turn the front discs or rear drums.

3. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Your Peugeot, did it do the 250 000 km on its own or on the back of a recovery lorry?

:)

4. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My (un)educated guess: speculators who do not drive them?

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    oh deer! Jan, we ain't got no lorries here, and yes, the 505 did it all by herself and on non-premium petrol. ;-)

really was a most remarkable car.

6. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    That's a good guess Jay, except that the initial buyer was not a speculator (in the sense of a regular dealer) who bought the car new, it was someone who deliberately invested between $275K and $340K in a new Maranello WITH THE INTENTION of not driving it, so that ten plus years later it would appreciate to maybe $175K to $200K.

..................and forewent all that driving joy.

what imbeciles!

7. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Then it is a collectors car, just like our 550/575 !!

On topic: I do not think the 550s are disappearing. It could be that they have passed from the "Used Ferrari" sector to a "Collectible Ferrari" sector.

Owners not interested in a car like this sell them ( and buy something more modern/recent) and they are bought by people that want to keep them for longer.
    Or do you think I am wrong?

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Facilities Manager at Rice University goes thru tires on his STS-V on a MUCH faster rate!!

He commented on it, when he saw my little 2.8L engine..:D :D

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    You are correct. It is the second buyer. In my case, that keeps the car to enjoy and drive

10. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Bundas, same here. The increase in value is in my case purely theoretical , until I decide to sell it in the distant future that is!

I have made money on a few cars. AR Spider -91, Bristol 411 S5 -77 and a 993 2S -98.

None was bought as an investment, but to be driven and enjoyed!

The value increase for a 575 has to be pretty huge to even put me on zero, as it cost me very close to 190 000 USD before it got delivered.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    has no price. I just do not get all this value talk. I am very lucky that it never entered into to a decision. even in business

12. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I yhink we all can agree that buying a preloved 550/575 is tremendous value, even if you pay todays prices ( or like me pretty close to double)?

13. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    When I saw '505' i thought it was a transposition error until I scrolled back a bit. I have a couple of 504 diesel wagons back in the US which I intend to play with when I have time. Pininfarina design, like the 505. I like the look and the quirkiness. I also like a diesel that sounds like a diesel. But parts are a nightmare and at 70 hp for a 3000 lb car, they're downright dangerous to drive anywhere other than a quiet country lane or smalll town. There's a guy in Belgium, Joost Luiten, who has a great webpage on the 504.

Dr. J, I could also see Emmanuelle Beart in a 504 wagon :)

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #564 intrepidcva11, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Funny, Bubba; wonder what tires your Rice friend wears on his STS-V. Mine came with Pirelli Euforia run-flats that have performed very well. My driving is what i would call assertive and my immediate past wife called aggressive. But I'm not wild on public roads and don't fancy burn-outs. While as I wrote there's tread left, there's not a great deal and their age really required replacement.

And McKinney, might you be persuaded to ship one of your 504 wagons to Saratoga Springs? why do you need a pair? ;-)

P.S. here's my STS-V - actually a stock GM photo but my car is identical; what gives me a particular kick is provision of the six-lug wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    +1

16. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay

+1

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think JDC told me their car was 215,000 GBP. This is the ex-Elite Zuzwil (Switzerland) car that was on at CHF 129,800 last year and until February this year. It still appears to be available. The Elite pix showed it inside one of their warehouses (not outside like some) but I don't know if was always inside, and Herr Felix did not condescend to answer any more of my requests for information, before selling to the small UK trader who then sold it to JDC.

He also (said he) had a black 04 575 with FHP and 2k km for the same price at the time, but this never appeared on their site and he never appeared on the phone again.

18. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    #568 SpeedmasterNL, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Few things I noticed spending some time on different car forums:

- I always like how people tend to forget NPV and Opportuniy cost when it comes to calculating any investment in cars....
    - I noticed that Ferrari owners, more than any other brand, focus on value of cars. The amount of value topics here vs Aston Martin forum on pistonheads is amazing...
    - Ferrari owners are mileage obsessed (has to do with value as well I guess)
    - Are often the least technical of all.

Bloody drive your cars please and enjoy em.
    The chances of making money with cars is very difficult, especially if you take opportunity cost into consideration.

Somewhere I wish there was a contest for whomever had the highest mileage yet the car looked the most pristine. Now thats something I would want to open topics for and discuss! Maybe we can open a topic " guess the mileage" based on high resolution pics of interior and exterior.

going off for a drive in one of my black cars.

Drive em boys!

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Funny, that this discussion reminds me that many years ago when I was regularly attending the FCA annual meetings on U.S. east coast, I suggested that I might create an annual award for the Ferrari driven the longest distance to the annual meeting. Leadership reaction was tepid and nothing edver happened. Couple of years later a father-son member pair drove their mid-1950s 250 Ellena Boano coupe from California to the FCA annual meeting in Virginia!

That, friends, is joyous Ferrari living!

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Seth, Google the Ed Gilbertson Award...

21. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    To be fair I think a lot of the discussions about value have to do with guys trying to time their entry into the market. A V-12 Ferrari is a major outlay for most of us, and an Enzo era V-12 is really serious business.

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes but if you find the car you really want, you have to pull the trigger as long as you can afford it. You usually don't get the choose the timing. Trust me when I say that the timing sucked for me on a couple of my cars but I knew that I would never get a chance at that particular example again so I ponied up and haven't regretted any of my purchases.

As I just recently told a friend on this board:

A distant Plan B is the relative value of the car (will it go up, down, in between) because Plan A should always be never seeing a dollar from the car because you love it so much that you'll never sell it. If you never sell a car, its value is meaningless and if you are buying great cars from the heart and you get it right, that will always be the case.

23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I know, I know, Bastuna! anyway, Ed is somewhat better known than me.

In Ferrari circles.

Not lawyer circles!

I have the impression that the arrival of that Boano encouraged the creation of tghe award.

24. Old Shep

Old Shep Karting

Jun 12, 2014
    Midland Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill Coombes
    Interesting point about mileage on these cars....granted I've only owned my 550 for a year plus, but I fall into the camp that says drive 'em don't just look at them. As a consequence, I'm not worried about my 68,000 mile car, which still looks amazingly good, both inside n out. Yep, there are some rock dings, and the dash isn't pristine, and the driver seat has some wear, but the engine is strong, all the major service has been done, and it turns heads every time I drive it. Plus it sounds like a V-12 Ferrari!

I'm happy.

25. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Guys I don't know if you remember I was looking at a six speed HGTC car ?

Well after consideration I have decided that at 150,000 Euros more than I paid for my 3 pedal 575 in december 2014 , its not worth the stretch.

After discussing with Terry and others above I am going to subtly upgrade the handling of my car by initially fitting a later shock activator ECU and if that is insufficient look to fit the FHP rear roll bar (which is apparently going to be copied by a quality supplier) and springs.
    I suspect that the shock ecu will be 90% of the upgrade and I will stop there but lets see. I'll keep you all posted.

Now despite being expensive the Blu Pozzi HGTC car is truly gorgeous and exactly as described by the seller who I know and trust. Should any of you be interested in it please PM me and I will pass on the sellers details. If you send me your email I will send you pictures of the "Unicorn".