Marc Gene beats the Road Atlanta lap record in a F2003GA. | FerrariChat

Marc Gene beats the Road Atlanta lap record in a F2003GA.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Chicko, Mar 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Absolutely wow.

That’s insane.

Kai

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Awesome ,3 ltr V10 19000 rpm! Compared to todays F1 Turbo cars with the halo:rolleyes:....

Flea7, crinoid, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There's no way someone can watch that and say they prefer 2018 F1.

Flea7, LittleTino, E60 M5 and 7 others like this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    He is on slicks too...Pirelli's soft. Imagine if he was on the HS tyres.......Probably hit in below 1min.

Drop that beast of an engine in today's wider chassis cars with HS tyres.....easy below 1min time.

crinoid and Bas like this.
  5. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I was supposed to go but ended up not making it. I would have loved to see that car come under the bridge and fly down the hill into the final right hand turn. The video he posted cuts off just a he was coming up was reaching the bridge but hopefully more videos will pop up. I was in New Oleans a few years ago when he drove the same car and blew out the record at the track there. The most amazing car I have seen or heard.

crinoid likes this.
  6. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I think he could have gone faster in that first right hander, he didn’t even track out close to the edge. The sound is so amazing, forgotten how perfect the V-10’s were

crinoid likes this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    He also holds the track record at Laguna Seca, set in the same car (which is owned by Bud Moeller) in 2012.

BTW, he broke the Road Atlanta track record by five seconds....

crinoid likes this.
  8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was there both days. Those cars sounded the business. Bud was running in f2003 most of the time running 1:06-1:08 laps. Most of the other drivers were puttering around going incredibly slow, much like the Fxx guys sans one or two.

crinoid likes this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I was at NOLA as well. That was so awesome.

10. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Wow. Incredible

11. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Bud (the owner) is a great guy. He's only a few tenths behind Marc, at Road Atlanta and was even closer around Laguna Seca. I would really like to see this car set up for somewhere like Sonoma race way or Laguna Seca with someone very quick in the seat, no offense to Marc. I've spent a good bit of time around this F2003GA. It's an ex-Barrichello car, although Michael did do some testing in the car as well. One of Barrichello's two, 2003 wins was in this chassis. The engine is running in a de-tuned state, so with everything set up properly and someone quick in this car, it could be crushing records. I've sat in a few Ferrari F1 cars, luckily I'm short enough to fit (sadly I haven't driven an F1 Ferrari car) but by far and away the coolest time was when I got to sit in it while it was running.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, crinoid, BaronM69 and 3 others like this.
  12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Thanks for the pic!!

TOOLFAN likes this.
  13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sends chills down my spine. What an amazing car with an amazing sound.

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    i miss real F1 cars

15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Makes the hairdryers of today look like roombas on steroids doesn’t it! Now they’ll sound even more pathetic now we’ve been reminded of what a real engine can sound like

lorenzobandini and TifosiUSA like this.
  16. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Holy crap that’s fast.

Road Atlanta is a VERY unforgiving place.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    A few tenths slower? The poster above you said he was lapping 1:06-08 while Marc did 1:01. I would be shocked if he was only off by a few tenths.

I also don't have chassis 228 down for having won any races. #230 won at Silverstone and #233 won in Japan...both of Rubens' wins that year. #233 sold in 2007 for 1.5m Euro by RM Auctions. link

The other five wins by the F2003-GA that year were done by Michael and all in #229.

Igor Ound likes this.
  18. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

I have S/N 228 down for the win at Silverstone. I'll have to go back at look. Do you have a link? Maybe I'm wrong on that I'll have to change in it the log if so. I welcome the correction if I'm wrong.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I got #230 as winning from here: http://www.allf1.info/history/gb.php and I found it elsewhere matching that on a different forum (can't find it at the moment) listing all Ferrari poles, wins, and 1-2s from 1951 to 2007/8 by chassis.

And this article has #230 as the pole position chassis at Silverstone at the very bottom so that helped solidify the above info (I know chassis changes do happen though): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/british-gp-ferrari-saturday-qualifying-notes/

Edit: And the source for #233 I got winning Japan came from similar info as above and confirmed by the RM Auction catalog description found here: http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/8578/index.html

TOOLFAN likes this.
  20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    damn I raced that track in 2011. 8 hr endurance in a spec miata with 4 drivers. best track I ever raced

blaneyge likes this.
  21. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    They were awesome then (Laguna Seca Ferrari Racing Days 2012) - The Bud Moeller and Marc Gene show: Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    my god, that lap went by FAST!!!!
    so miss that period of F1. i'd gladly accept slower laps time just for the aural experience. there was no sound like it!

23. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    saw this this morning. Also in the same vid an inside view of a drive in the FXX-K.

Here's the same guy with some up close and personal views of the cars being prepped for Road Atlanta 2 days ago.

Privately owned Ferrari F1 cars prepared by team of Ferrari engineers