Marchionne Comments - Production Numbers and "SUV" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Marchionne Comments - Production Numbers and "SUV"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Oct 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I don't think this will affect the brand that much. The demand for the sports cars will still be the same since no one will be cross shopping an SUV and a mid engine car.

Just look at Porsche. Over half their sales are SUVs yet they are cranking out cars like the 911R and 918, and their GT cars are still as revered as ever!

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    To be clear, I'm not an SUV fan. I don't think anyone on here is. It's simply that some think it's the end of Ferrari and others don't. (I don't) Plus, it's coming, like it or not. The reality is, from Ferrari's perspective, SUV's are dominating the automotive world and they would be fools not to dominate the highest end of the market. I can only assume that a Ferrari SUV will sit at the very top with the Bentley Bentayga.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    They would not be fools. The should be leaders and not followers. Focus on your core and don't waste time chasing what everyone else is doing.

MalcQV, wiley355 and Mechanical Dad like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Person l would never buy an SUV no matter how much money I had or what make, I prefer estates for space etc. Oh hang on a minute, its nothing to do with practicality, just trend/lifestyle!!!

Who in their right mind would by a Ferrari SUV ? It couldn't be an everyday car as the reliability compared to say Porsche, Jag F Pace, Mercedes G wagon etc is, lets be honest, rubbish. So that leaves it as a toy for the weekend. So why would you want an SUV as a toy for the weekend instead of a 488/FF/911/AMG etc?

Whilst Porsche have done it to great success, I don't think this is a fair comparison as they are in a completely different market. They are cheap in comparison and reliable and are competing with Jag/Volvo/Rang Rover etc for SUV sales.

I think Ferrari building a SUV completely dilutes the brand. Unless off course this is a proper off roader and they go after the Paris Dakar and spin a SUV off that; then fine. But they should base it on their heritage, i.e. racing, not trend/lifestyle.

As many company's have fund to their peril, unless you can do the basics right, you have no hope. So I would suggest they get back to basics, even if that is a rose tinted version of history and sort the racing out, develop the grass roots and the heritage business.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Currentlky all they make is really really fast gts. If ferrari ends up makign some great core drivers cars again, then the suv is a very small price to pay.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Won't do a thing. They'll still sell each and every car they make. Enough new buyers that only care about a badge... won't matter. It's disappointing, but it won't matter. Cayenne didn't kill Porsche, it let Porsche build even more amazing 911's.

Only thing that will matter is when sales drop and stock price drops. The "old europe" Ferrari is done. Remember the Cimarron gentlemen.. remember the Cimarron. It's the endpoint where all profit seeking management ends.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    4-door sedan.

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Steadily declining market for those, unfortunately, and all the consumers are going for SUV's instead.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ak Jim and G. Pepper like this.
  10. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Dozens and dozens of companies that kick Ferraris a-- in racing, looks and so on. What utter rubbish. Don't name a dozen, name one.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    IMO, SUV = stupid useless vehicle

wiley355 likes this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what? every car guy has heard of all of those.

kerrari and G. Pepper like this.
  15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I'm not referring to car guys. I'm referring to the average person. Ferrari ranks below Noble and Koenigsegg? How can that ranking be taken seriously?

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It's one thing to disagree with an SUV or not like a current cars styling, or think Ferrari should do this or do that, but the notion that some perpetuate that Ferrari is some kind of alsorand brand on the decline is ridiculous.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the point by many of us is Ferrari was DOMINATING for so long. It is no longer so clear cut and then how about when they make SUV's?

18. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I absolutely agree, the brand can be expanded without killing it's essence. A Dino would be great for the brand, priced in line with a "regular 911" or a little above with tons of options you could pull a lot of each unit with a 911 base price, coupled with Ferrari option costs. A mid mounted engine using the 2.9 liter turbo V6, you would have a real winner.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    For me, I've always viewed Ferrari as a very special brand with extreme class. It seems to me the company is moving away from it's founding or historic focus / values.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Fair enough, but I'm not so sure that's totally correct. Let's break it down a bit. In totality, Ferrari is still the dominant leader in their category.

- The Ferrari brand is one of the most valuable in the world.

- Their current product line proves to be incredibly popular with buyers and critics alike.

- Of the ultra premier brands, their dealer network is without question the healthiest.

- Customer engagement is excellent. As a new owner, I can attest to this.

Sure, F1 has lost its stride. Sure, not everyone is going to love every car they produce. Heck, I'm still trying to understand why they even make the Lusso. Yes, we don't know what negative impact a SUV may have on the brand, if any. But, come on. We all know that Ferrari is great (not perfect) and I don't see that changing.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Agreed

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #47 Rossocorsa1, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

I hear you Dave. But, the more I think about it the more unrealistic it is to think they will just remain as they always have been. I'm sure there were plenty of people in the 80'a that wished Ferrari was the way it was in the 60's. Yet still, there is plenty of the past that wasn't so great. The dealership network wasn't great. Quality had a lot to de desired. Lots of awesome things for sure, but plenty of bad as well.

I don't love the SUV idea either, but it isn't going to kill Ferrari. We also have the five year plan that will be unveiled in the first quarter. That will be very interesting. Nothing is perfect but there is a lot to be excited about today.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    your first two points are certainly current states, but can they maintain?

your final two points I have a completely different experience as we bought 2013 California last year and then traded it for a new 2017 California T through the dealer.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I think you are missing my point. I love advances in technology and I love how Ferrari has evolved up until Sergio came in and the departure from Pininfarinna. To me, the last great mid engine Ferrari is the 458 and 458 Speciale. It's not the point if "the SUV will kill them". It's a poor decision to move dramatically away from the roots of the company. In Rob Lay's 2nd post in this thread, he said it perfectly:

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would like to remind you that once, and for quite a few years, Nokia was the world leader in cell phone sales, trends, and technology with extremely high brand loyalty.

When was the last time you bought a Nokia flip phone?