Marelli Points | FerrariChat

Marelli Points

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by racerboy9, Oct 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am having a hell of a time installing my NOS Marelli points in my Dino 246 3-lobe distributor. The fiber block is so tight on the shaft. I got one of them on but it doesn't rotate on the shaft with the spring tension. I have to move it with long nose pliers. I took a points plate off a spare distributor so I could play with it out of the distributor housing but again it seems awfully tight. I decided to halt my efforts till I get some Ferrarichat advice. Is there a trick to this I am missing?

2. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    I have just changed the points on my 3-lobe Dino distributor (Fiat Dino, but same distributor) and it was straightforward although fiddly. Any chance you could post a picture of what is going on?
    Thanks,
    Phil

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Here is the problem. Seems like too tight a fit. I could file the fiber part but that seems like a bad idea. Could go from too tight to too loose.

Attached Files:

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I could put some fine valve grinding paste on the shaft and work the point block back and forth but that may be a bad idea as well.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    This is standard on original Marelli points. You must have a 6mm reamer so you can ream the inside bore to have nice precise fit on the shaft. I would not use valve grinding compound, as it will embed itself into the soft phenolic block and end up wearing out the points faster than normal.
    You can purchase reproduction points as they have a loose fit on the shaft or get a 6mm hand reamer.
    https://www.amazon.com/6mm-Straight-Shank-Hand-Reamer/dp/B008ED5GW2

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for this tip. The reamer looks like a good bet. You would think Marelli would have got it right at the factory!

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It wasn't that Marelli got it wrong. Reaming the points to have a perfect fit was considered a regular part of servicing the distributor.

8. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Isn't this all really pointless?

Sorry.

9. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Use a "B" drill as I recall, on the phenolic part of points which pivot on the post(this IS the problem from the sounds of it), and the fit will be perfect....this is a fairly common problem with old NOS parts-not a big/rare deal...