Mark Blundell: Massa To Be Serious 2008 Title Contender | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mark Blundell: Massa To Be Serious 2008 Title Contender

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jan 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    There is nothing unfortunate about Massa being a #2 driver, it is a perfectly natural outcome

Furhtermore, given that Rubens was closer in performance to Schumacher during his years as #2 than Massa, and that Rubens twice finished #2 in the title chase, winning more races, poles and fastest laps than Massa in the process, I would have to say that Rubens was a far, far better #2 than Massa.

2. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rubens was a very fast No.2. Remember when he was so fast at Indy he couldn't whoa her down for that side by side finish?

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Not dreaming at all.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I agree with you on all of these points, but if we all know this it stands to reason that Massa/Ferrari also know it too. I compare Massa to Nicky Hayden in MotoGP. Every year Hayden made improvements to his skills in various areas: one year it was qualifying, the next rain riding, the next conserving the tires. It paid off for him in 2006.

I would bet that Massa is working on his weak points. Consistency between tracks in particular is something that experience will help. Maturity often also reduces the errors. As for rain, it depends on whether you beleive they are made or born, but everyone can improve. I don't think he has peaked yet.

5. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I believe Massa has a chance to win it all but you seem to think that Alonshole will finish in front of Massa. You wanna bet on that? Ive got $100 that says Massa will finish ahead of Alonso.

6. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Done.

7. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    He's been in F1 since 2002. How much more experience does he have to have?!?

Hamilton was taking pole position on tracks he had never driven on in his life, what the hell can Massa's excuse possibly be?

8. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    We are on then.

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Yep.

Good luck...you're going to need it ;)

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    An interesting bet I'd say.

Alonso vs Massa in the same car is a no brainer, but I wouldn't necessarily think Alonso could beat him in a Renault that has seen little development for an entire year. That could be a struggle. Maybe Alonso starts off slowly and as the year progresses develops the Renault to the point where it can beat a Ferrari. We'll see.

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I was thinking the samething, except now with the lack of TC, we will see the outcome. If it rains a lot, than Massa will be lucky to even finish in the top 5. Too bad Vettel is not in the second Ferrari, no jokes about the Toro Rosso having a Ferrari engine.

12. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Im laughing too....Hey it will make it more interesting this year :) I want the $100 bill that you send me to be a new one from the bank. In the unlikely event that you win...would you like a Canadian (could be worth a lot more by then) or an American bill?

13. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    How can you guys look at Massa's qualifying and finishing record and seriously think he can't be a title contender? In terms of qualifying, he's not exactly slower than Kimi (arguably better). His race pace is similar.

He's a "good" (not great) racer and mediocre in the wet. He was only 16 points adrift Kimi at the end of last year, and that's with letting Kimi pass on a few tracks. Realistically the gap is probably more like 12 points. How can he not be considered a contender?

14. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I'll take a hundie that Hamilton finishes in front of Massa, if you want some more action :)

15. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Im sure you will :)

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Amazing how widespread that impression is ... all based on the '06 Hungarian GP, where the Bstones sucked. Six of the ten Bstone cars failed to finish at all. The top Bstone finisher was Ralf, who started sixth, had two cars ahead of him drop out, and finished ... sixth -- effectively dropping two places. The only driver who managed anything at all with those tires was Schumi ... who still wound up finishing ninth, in the pits (elevated to eighth after Kubica was DQ'd). The team switched Massa from intermeds to wets to inters to drys at mostly the wrong times.

Despite that, he finished eighth (7th) -- ahead of Schumi, and just behind Ralf who switched to drys 12 laps before the team finally got Massa off the abysmal Bstone inters. Massa only had 10 laps on drys to make up for the poor performance of the Bstone intermed tires. Most of the other runners were put on drys about ten laps earlier - eight laps after Ferrari put inters on Massa's car. Massa was the victim of bad pit timing and poor wet tires.

In Germany '07, when everyone was on spec tires, Massa grabbed a spot from Alonso at the start (on inters), and gave up nothing to Alonso throughout the floods that tossed half a dozen drivers -- including Hamilton -- off the track. Only on his last, flawed, set of intermeds did Massa finally get passed by Alonso. Even then, Massa held off the clearly faster car for so long that Alonso was furious about it.

About the worst thing you can justifiably say about Massa's wet performance is that -- maybe -- he might have unbalanced that last set of tires himself, trying to leave the pits too quickly. And there isn't really anything but speculation to support that, either.

What you can say is that Massa on bad tires can't out-drive Alonso on good tires --- well, at least, not forever.

I can't wait for the first wet race without traction control. Those who will watch the race instead of their prejudices will see what happens then. I suspect that Massa is going to surprise a lot of doubters.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Massa is a good racer not a great racer as you said yourself. He is fighting against 3 great racers. Yes, he has a chance at the title if his Ferrari is vastly superior to the McLaren and the Renault AND Kimi is out of it due to an injury. Only in that scenario.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't care enough about Massa to go through all the statistics of past races, but he was never a revelation in the wet. Unlike Hamilton and Alonso and to some degree Kimi.

He had more bad wet races than "just" Hungary 06, where he sucked so bad, that his teammate lapped him. Nuerburgring 07 wasn't great either conceding victory to Alonso. That particular maneuvre cost him a lot of support from his Paulista fans who said somebody like Senna would have not let that victory slip through his fingers. Well Massa is no Senna.

Some quote the Japanese GP 07 as proof that he can drive in the rain. While his last few laps with Kubica were entertaining, they really don't proove much: He got nothing to loose at that point, he was racing against a 3rd placed (in the WCC) BMW and Kubica, who isn't that great in the wet to begin with (remember Turkey 06?). And that after Massa spun out multiple times in the same race and was saved only by the concrete run off areas.

Great drivers like Senna, Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton are consistently good in the wet. Massa is consistently mediocre in the rain.

19. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Massa is quick and there is nothing wrong with his skill in the rain. Kimi is quicker and F supports the no. 1. Massa is a perfect team-mate for Kimi. Massa's Q speed is very often part of team strategy. Big difference between Massa and Kimi is that Kimi can deliver when the pressure is on

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I tend to think this is my line of thought , but I dont like the idea of a #1 driver from the start.

21. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have a horrible feeling that Kimi will not do good without TC.

55 days to go

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Quite the opposite: Kimi has some of the best car control of the grid, if not simply the best. No TC will play into his hands when almost everybody else will be struggling with it.

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Those guys are nuts !
    Massa passes the "driving in the rain" test.
    One more test to go ; "driving in the rain without traction control"
    Lets hope everyone gets to take it.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No he doesn't. As pointed out below.

25. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Last year he was only 16 points adrift. That is reasonably close. Certainly close enough to be considered a "contender".