Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    8600 miles? Hard to find a 550 with those kind of miles.

2. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Hagerty has #1 at $250k; #2 at $221k. Add $20k for Verdi + low miles + service records + Barchetta wheels. Subtract $10k for potential California registration issues. I call a shenaniganless $220k to $240k for this one.

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #578 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    @tazandjan @root @Qksilver I get it that the collectors are focused on as low mile as possible…..so I guess there has to be a separation between the blue chip investor and someone that actually buys a car to use it? If this Verde car is as root suggests is perhaps $220-$240 then to me @niftyfivefifty 550 is worth more than $200?

His car ends in 2 days on BaT.

Regarding the Verde 550…During my hunting I saw very few Euro cars….I guess the small differences between US and ROW/Euro becomes a non-issue when for sale inventory is so low?

what we all collectively see come out of Arizona car week will also be fascinating given how people have been talking about the recent Lambo sales prices as well.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Also to be clear on Nifty’s 550….from just my perspective….his car is WAY more valuable than a garage queen Verde euro 550.

5. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Thank you for the kind words Eric! It is definitely hard to compete with almost 6x the mileage on my car! And that Verde with the nero/beige interior is a beautiful and unique spec. If I had all of the funds I would just buy all of the 550s I found for sale...and maybe one Zonda.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @niftyfivefifty .....FWIW....regarding your 550 having almost 6x the miles of the Euro Verde 550.....my wife has 45 miles and i've known her since she had 20 miles and she is more beautiful now and 100x more valuable and interesting to me now then she was then ;-)

Lots of smiles per miles.

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  7. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Haha, okay you have made a wonderful point!

8. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #583 root, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Based on what the Blue Pozzi sold for on RM Sotheby's ($252k) I may need to bump up my estimate for the Verde Zeltweg. But I will hold for now mainly because Marqued is no where close to RM Sotheby's or even BaT with respect to exposure. We shall see in a few days.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is awesome and amazing.

nifty ends tomorrow

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I didn't realize that Blu Pozzi for $225k had an engine rebuild?!?

11. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #586 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    I AM AMAZED......Today @niftyfivefifty had his 550 as NO RESERVE on BaT.....sold for $131,000 which is non-sensically low to me. Before I bought my 550 I offered to buy his.....and would have paid that and not hesitated and that was before the market caught on fire like it has.

How did it sell so much lower than the last BaT 550 summarized above with 43k miles and hammered for $169k (nice car but is it that much better/desirable than Nifty's? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-ferrari-550-maranello-7/

This result comes to many of your comments (I guess) about "investment grade mileage"???? Once BaT commenter noted not wanting the hassle of dealing with a few of the items like the CEL..... Very interested in your guys thoughts. When I was hunting....this 550 was one of a very small group of what I considered the absolute most desirable 550's in the USA.

The buyer that stole this car also has a 599 with Fabios set up (according to his BaT comment) so I'm hoping he also checks in here.....

SOLD for $131,000 on 1/28/22 out of Issaquah, WA and owned by our friend Niftyfivefifty
    2001 550 ZFFZS49A910123464 and assembly 40648
    +) 47,805 miles (26k miles put on by Nifty) with clean Carfax -- I hadn't realized it was sold on a California title.
    +) Grigio Titanio over gray
    +) Receipts back to 2003 "buy the seller" -- 2019 belt service -- noted leaking front shock; front end paint chips; CEL for exhaust; low pressure sender intermittent;
    +) Daytona seats with contrasting dark piping, carbon interior, two sets of wheels (OEM on it - spare set was BBS LM's?), fire extinguisher, aftermarket sound set up (it was a show car for McIntosh laboratory - and had a custom box in the parcel area which I thought looked good; updated fuse panel, lots of tweaks he had noted on the forum.
    +) Fabio's headers, supersprint X-pipe, 575 mufflers with adjustable valves (not sure if they were remote or not), also included the OEM headers, cats, mufflers .
    +) this video is all it should take..... https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RT9q4KeAews/sddefault.jpg
    +) All three fobs with one key
    +) Nifty also set up two NFT's for the car
    +) 123464
    +) I normally put any F-chat threads here but Nifty has been a strong contributor in many places
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-ferrari-550-maranello-8/

I can't have two 550's but if I can this car is on the very short list and I"m just shocked how low it went.......

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #587 Auraraptor, Jan 28, 2022
    I think it speaks to a divergence in the market, with the separation between (essentially) museum pieces and drivers cars is ever widening.

That car was a steal.

Quite frankly, the 550/575 Family remains an absolute steal to a nearly bizarre level. For whatever reason the market doesn’t seem to like them nearly as much

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree completely — the prices for many other cars is comical especially the porsches in comparison. Surely the maintenance Porsche tax isn’t much less than the Maranello tax?

I had been private messaging nifty on IG. I didn’t ask but I wonder what BaT would have taken for a reserve…..surely higher than where it landed. I wonder if the seller of the last 550 is on here and would offer to tell us what BaT told him to put on his car for the reserve.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ps regarding your comment about the 575…. when you think of the SCREAMING deals that many guys got in the $70’s like @dhalperin13 @SteveVT among others — their timing and value obtained was awesome.

15. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #590 root, Jan 28, 2022
    Eric- Probably a typo but the Pozzi on RM Sotheby's sold for $252k not $225.

I offer a few anecdotal, non scientific, and meandering explanations for the relatively low selling price of nifty's car earlier today on BaT not in any particular order.
    - No Reserve for non premium entry on BaT seems to imply low quality low price to BaT bidders. Setting a low reserve would be better than NR in my opinion just to avoid the NR label.
    - Buying a first Ferrari tends to be more emotional than buying almost any other car. While the car may be very interesting and valuable to a more experienced Ferrari buyer the mods, CEL, miles, potential difficulty with California registration are too much for a potential first time Ferrari buyer especially one residing in California to deal with.
    - The cosmetic imperfections in the car would probably not be a major factor if it were a Porsche but a Ferrari is expected to be perfect despite what everyone in the peanut gallery seem to be saying
    - I don't think there is big difference as far as collectability is for cars with more than 1k miles, but that seems to be the market psychology. There might be a second category for cars with less than 5k miles but above that the mileage should be of less significance compared to condition and service history. I don't think that's how the typical BaT buyer views mileage. They seem to in general value cars with 25k miles more than cars with 30k miles.
    - The 550/575 markets seem to do better at the traditional auction houses than at BaT. I have a theory but that and a token will get you downtown as they say in New York.

Il Tifoso and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am legitimately over even my irrational personal limit on cars that seemingly never get driven….but I told my wife at dinner tonight I almost bought Nifty’s not caring I would have to deal with her later….

she has been busting my balls because I have asked my shipping container guy for another one…this time connexwest offers a custom 20’ “high cube” with a car lift to help me deal with my “alleged” problem….
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dhalperin13 and SteveVT like this.
  17. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Those containers are a great idea. How are they ventilated? They can turn into ovens under the summer sun if not well ventilated.

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #593 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 28, 2022
    I’ll try and DM you

Attached Files:

SteveVT likes this.
  19. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, Nifty's 550 result was a bit of a head scratcher. I, too, would've expected a substantially higher result. You know, could be just some unfortunate timing what with all the converging economic, pandemic and geopolitical drama going on in the world right now. Maybe this is starting to make people a little gun shy. I was watching the BJ Scottsdale auction today and there were some cars that seemed to struggle a bit to get to a price where one would think they should be given the strong collector car market over the last year. Seemed to be some hesitancy from bidders evident in the bidding for some lots. Now, that's nothing new at an auction per se, but seemed to be a little more pronounced than in recent times. Dunno...guess we'll have to see how things play out over the next few months.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I agree with everything said so far, and it was certainly a risk for me to not spend the $5-$10k restoring the bumper, rear shelf, stereo, exhaust, etc. for top dollar, which may have just been a similar outcome given mileage, unique interior spec, and volatile market conditions this week. I was also much more interested in seeing the car go to a good home vs. an investor or flipper, and @chris1866 appears to be the perfect next caretaker of this amazing car. Plus, the ownership experience and people I have met both here and on the road have been the best part of this car. There is no other car community like this!

21. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    A 1987 328GTS sold at auction today for $150. So go figure. Wonder what a GTB would sell for.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #597 root, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    @NE550 & @LorenzoOO

Sotheby's reported total sale from their 1/27 auction at $43.3 million with 95% of their cars selling and 24% of all registered bidders were first-time clients. A lot of new buyers/money are still entering the market. Not all of them are as knowledgeble about cars as the traditional car collector/enthusiast. For example the 1964 MB 300SL that sold for $2.315 million had a dozen imperfections as identified by one of the long time collectors of these cars that would've brought down its price in the past but were seemingly either not noticed or ignored by the bidders. Today's buyers seem to value and pay more for GTS than GTB. I noticed that in the F355 market a few years ago. Unless there is some major political or economic event to drain the punch bowl I think there is more room for this market to run. It will eventually deflate or crash but I think we're still in the inflation phase.

LorenzoOO likes this.
  23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Likely not true for the 328 where the GTB was way rarer than the GTS (1344 vs 6068).

Ferrari55whoa and LorenzoOO like this.
  24. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As the new owner of Nifty's 550, I figured I would check in here and offer my perspective as a buyer.
    First off, I had a 2 hour conversation with him last night, and he is an absolute class act. The willingness to explain his ownership, maintenance, recommendations, etc. was beyond helpful. I try to be a resource for the new owners of my previous cars (355s and 308) who are all here on fchat.....it's fun to keep in touch and see how things are going. This community truly is the best!
    I have always wanted a grigio 550 (my 599 is the same color), but the timing and market was never right. I was intrigued by this car because it was not a perfect, bone stock garage queen, which I believe actually gave me a fighting chance to buy it.
    Some things that may have contributed to the lower than expected sale price, as I saw it:
    -mileage (weakest argument, since the other silver car with similar miles went for significantly more), but there are plenty for whom 48k miles is "high" on a Ferrari.
    -Interior colors. Admittedly this was one of the biggest drawbacks for me personally. Red or black would have been ideal, and I could see the two-tone grey being a bit polarizing, but it certainly didn't deter me to a large extent.
    -Exhaust/CELs. Obviously Fabio's headers are legendary here on fchat, but I'm not sure how much appreciation they get in the broader market. I installed Fabio's headers & cats on my 599 and would absolutely do the same on a 550, so the fact that this car already had them was a HUGE bonus for me. The fact of the matter is, the car will not pass emissions in many states as it currently sits due to the CELs for no cats or secondary air system. I think this could have deterred a number of buyers.
    -Aftermarket stereo stuff. There is quite a lot of it, some of which will require a bit of effort (parts hunting, etc.) to reverse. Plenty of buyers are skittish when it comes to anything aftermarket on a Ferrari. Maybe an amp in the trunk and some speakers aren't as big of a deal, but when you have multiple custom pieces which are immediately obvious at even a quick glance, it can be a turn-off.
    -Leaking shocks. Though common, they are a relatively expensive rebuild.

Personally, I do most of my own work. I installed the headers on my 599 (not a fun job), did the major on my 355, lots of things on my 308, etc. I am by no means anywhere close to a professional mechanic, but I am somewhat capable, and a car with a few "needs" doesn't bother me in the slightest. So from my perspective:
    -Mileage....great! A driven car is typically a sorted car. Most around fchat know this, but the market at large seems to be very fixated on low-mile cars for reasons I will never understand.
    -Interior colors? Meh....if the price is right, I can live without my "dream spec" interior.
    -CELs. Not a huge deal. Will require some money to sort out, but there are several options and none are particularly difficult.
    -Aftermarket stereo stuff. It's all coming out, simply because I'm not an audiophile at all and rarely listen to the radio. No problem for me to remove, tidy up wiring as necessary, hunt some parts, maybe get a couple of custom pieces made if needed, etc. Something that can be addressed over time.
    -Leaking shocks. Stay tuned on this.....I may have an option that would benefit the community at large.

I am very excited to get the car and hope to become a regular in this sub-section. Seems like there is a lot of knowledge and nice folks!
    The ONLY drawback is that I will have to sell my 599 to fund the purchase. Ad coming to the classifieds section soon.

25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Chris - I’m excited that you checked in and will look forward to hearing more down road.

welcome to our little corner.

personally I had a great time at our local Santa Cruz cars and coffee today and then a 121 mile coastal and mountain drive. LOVE my 550 with Fabios remote mufflers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

chris1866, NE550 and SteveVT like this.