Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    dhalperin13, Qksilver, NE550 and 3 others like this.
  2. kvm

kvm Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2022
    Villa Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Chris, Congrats on the 550! Great car at a great price! Hope you have many opportunities to listen to that symphony!

I considered bidding on it (Unlike the Monterey car which I did, and lost) and the smog/CEL/sorting for a smog strict state plus the tons of audio gear put some doubt on my ability to bring it back closer to stock. I think this lowered the value of the car. Seems highly modified cars limit the buyer pool.

Since this thread is about market price. As a perspective buyer, I believe $160-$225 for something stock with reasonable miles, maintained and a desirable color combo seems about right these days but sellers market. Seems crazy just a few years ago what these were selling for...

Back to the hunt.
    -k

rhern213 and chris1866 like this.
  3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well said. I chatted with non-fcar people with limited knowledge of the 550 and they universally saw the CEL/exhaust as their biggest source of pause followed by the shocks. These are general 'car people' who are apprehensive of the upkeep costs in the first place. This may point to a divergence in the Fabio second hand market heavily favoring setups with cats and no CEL.

4. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    You don't even have to go that far back, less than a year ago it completely changed. It gives me a funny idea of what the differences are between enthusiasts buying cars, versus people hopping on the market with FOMO. Now that low mileage cars are mostly all bought up it looks like they're moving on to concentrating on perfectly cleaned and sorted out cars they don't have to spend extra money on. The FOMO crowd I imagine is not really willing and able to spend the extra money on repairs, all that means for them is later on stuff that's going to eat into what they hope to profit off of.

The car market is looking like the new crypto business.

veelangs, LVP488, NE550 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree and what I hadn’t fully understood or was educated on until I was thinking of Hoovies channel….is that perhaps some people are actually NOT buying full cash?

I bought my 550 with cash and then immediately spent just under another $20k on real minor stuff…..maybe some of the FOMO people are putting big dollars down but still financing and don’t want to deal with a $10k or $20k first service to get the ball rolling?

I was very into buying and then still spending on my end because it allowed me to build a relationship with a new mechanic….but I can see how others don’t have the time, interest or stomach to deal with it? When i got mine the PPI let me know how big it was and then it’s not scary but when you don’t know….without PPI…that’s a stomach ache….

6. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There is def some swirl around financing these days with low, low interest rates and portfolio gains that are subject to big tax liabilities. Some guys are simply financially engineering the best move right now vs. those who are on the edge of affordability.

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There are a number of ways with rates this low that is makes sense to use someone's elses money. I don't do it unless I have the cash, but then would rather not use my cash. Put the cash elsewhere with sufficient liquidity and leverage the car. Strange times and likely to get stranger. Inflation surely doesn't encourage cash positions!!

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am a knucklehead…..the following hadn’t occurred to me….their posting is updated….

Just for giggles I checked in on that Verde euro 550 and then instead of giggle I belly laughed…..one of the comments noted the Speedo was changed when it was imported from KM to MPH and who knows how many miles are actually on the car.

This one continues to amaze me….and frankly irritates the heck out of me for Nifty that his went so low. @chris1866 we are going to look back at you buying Nifty’s and feel just like the amazing deals @dhalperin13 and @SteveVT scored on 575’s

9. kvm

kvm Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2022
    Villa Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agreed on the investment angle - and the cost of money. It is a struggle to define what to pay cash for and what to use assets as a backing for near nothing interest rates. I believe that's driving some of the cost for these automobiles. As for purchase cost, if the trends continue these cars will be too valuable to drive on a frequent basis with more becoming garage queens.

When I find the right 550/575, it will become my first Ferrari, and although I could have afforded it earlier in life, the wife's blessings are now in order and there is room in the garage. Personally find the classic styling of the 550/575 in addition to the ability to have a manual is appealing. The analog experience.

Curious, anyone drive a 550 and 575 back to back? Same Day. If price wasn't a function, what's the tradeoff in driving experience beyond the baseline specs?

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Qksilver Joe has both…..

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius did a write-up on his 3 pedal 575M vs his (now totaled) 550.

12. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Right, I spent $5k in the first week on just random little bits, and that's on a DYI budget.

Is auto financing now that much cheaper to get? I haven't seen what rates you can get these days. I just figured that since used auto loans, especially used supercar auto loans, are things that big banks, where you can't get the low rates, wouldn't event consider touching. Since that finance market I think is rather niche and smaller companies, I would have expected rates to not really diverge from their norms too much.

13. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    JPMorgan Chase is charging a paltry 2.1% for Line of Credit against bond and investment accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rhern213 likes this.
  14. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I wrote this in March.

Still relevant in terms of the spirit of the comparison but I could have done a better job on the nuances between the two. Need to find more time to adequately write about the subject! Overall, they're both magnificent machines. And if you're a Ferrari enthusiast who values the venerable pedigree of V12 GTB lineage, nothing else can best either one at their respective price-points. Nothing delivers like cars of the early 2000's (in my opinion); they sit at the end of the line short of the full tech takeover but remain robust, reliable, and immensely drivable.

They both feel analog. The 550 feels a little older. The 575 is superior in terms of interior build quality. Both feel solid as a rock and tight as a drum.

You'll have to drive two good ones to see for yourself, but you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the heads up, E. :)

NE550 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  15. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Ah, well there you go, time for me to start shopping :)

16. kvm

kvm Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2022
    Villa Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you for the first hand insight!

17. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LorenzoOO, kvm, NE550 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    kvm and Qksilver like this.
  19. Tvalenti27

Tvalenti27 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015
  20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Interesting car. Curious their asking price.

21. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
  22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #622 Ferrari55whoa, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso likes this.
  23. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Well worth it and in line with my Hagerty based $220k-$240k estimate. Beautiful car. Hope to see it here.

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    “That there is a lot of bacon”……;-)

25. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I don’t think the car had a “swapped speedometer” btw. The electronics allow conversion back and forth from KM’s to miles. Wil DeGroot of Exoticars has experience in this area if you need to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat