Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    The California thing is the biggest joke in the world, just a bunch of BS that has been spread for years and continues to spread. Every car I've sold that was "California legal" sold to a buyer outside of California. And any buyer for a Ferrari with half a brain (which most have) knows that he'll save thousands registering out of state. There is no gain to be had. My friend had a CA BAR car, thought it added value, sold it on BAT and it did zero dollars over the going rate. It is a case by case basis but many times the buying pool is small and the CA legal stuff only adds value to the guy paying for it.

2. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    I think the fact of the matter is younger guys are not hot on the 550's. They are on the inferior 355s though, and we have seen those prices crest $180k for a boring targa now. It doesn't make sense. One day soon the tides will turn, as the 550 is a hell of a beast especially compared to the air-cooled 911s they're tripping themselves over these days.

LVP488, root and Ffre92 like this.
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I absolutely prefer Maranellos (V12 Ferrari in general) to the mid-engined cars. Getting older, but still on the younger end. My contemporaries are split between preferring wedge-shaped/overstyled and classic/sophisticated. I agree, tastes will continue to evolve.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've been busy AND a little lazy.....figured I'd cover this one before the next non-import 550 ends tomorrow......

The BaT seller Simsimma listed the second Japanese imported 550 for sale....here is the breakdown....always interested in thoughts.....surprised this one went higher at $135k than the more rare Rosso Barchetta two weeks prior at $121k..

RNM for $135,000 on 4/30/22 out of Malibu CA (Listing this time said LA) on a South Dakota title.
    1997 550 ZFFZR49J000108353 and assembly 25889
    +) 78,428 kilometers, AKA 48,733 miles ASSUMED to be purchased by seller in 2019 when he bought and imported the other R/Barchetta 550 imported both to the US in 2022)
    +) Grigio Titanio over "chestnut" ? "Nocciola" -- not sure I had seen that interior color before? Seller said Ferrari themselves called the color so I wonder if it was a custom?
    +) Commenter noted the hood was slightly askew.
    +) Maintenance 2/2022 -- timing belt service, fluids, and engine mounts.
    +) Japanese market/frequency Pioneer head unit, standard seats, just like his other Rosso Barchetta import....looked pretty if not "no frills".
    +) Allegedly no "stickies"; red master fob, tires date coded from 2019
    +) 108353
    +) This car was: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-ferrari-550-maranello-18/
    +) His last Rosso Barchetta 2 weeks prior was https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-ferrari-550-maranello-19/
    +) I just noticed.....that's werid.....that the first listed imported 550 (Rosso Barchetta) was "#19" and the subsequent Grigio Titanio was listing #18. Wonder if there was a strategy to list the red car first......

Tomorrow we have another non-imported 1997 Rosso Corsa with lower (22k miles)....as I write this its at $150,000 with a little over 13 hours left......

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well that was fun today......we just saw an expertly presented (? - not joking) 550 on BaT ring the register.

I'm coming along to commentary by many of you that especially good ones need to keep going up.

The buyer has been buying several great cars -- god bless! https://bringatrailer.com/member/temptags200/ Hope he checks in with us.

SOLD for $231,000 on 5/20/22 out of West Hollywood CA on a Montana title (but with a recent CA Smog pass).
    Same seller that sold @dhalperin13 one of his 575's.
    1997 550 ZFFZR49A1V0109012 and assembly 25888 (ISN"T THAT FUNNY -- this car has an assembly number 1 digit from the last imported 550 on BaT I did the write up on yesterday).
    +) 21,853 miles with reportedly 8 prior owners and a clean carfax
    +) Rosso Corsa over "beige" the seats in the photos looked really nice
    +) Commenter/winner noted: "has the car been in an accident? In the front view picture, the front bumper extends past the front quarter panels on both the left and right side (which is not common for 550’s)".
    +) came with all the accoutrements; cover, seat covers, battery charger, red fob, some historical docs, etc.
    +) ready for a belt service
    +) Aftermarket Sony stereo; mufflers removed.
    +) per the seller: "No sticky’s, no leather shrinkage, dash is perfect. The climate control panel is a little bubbly and could use attention".
    +) 109012
    +) This car was https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-ferrari-550-maranello-21/
    +) historically sold at Fantasy Junction: https://www.fantasyjunction.com/sold/1997-ferrari-550-maranello/overview

This result for me was amazing given the historical prices for "investment grade mile cars". Guess many of us need to increase our "insured values".

dhalperin13, Il Tifoso, root and 2 others like this.
  6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I really like how you continue to do these reviews. Its nice to see the summaries. It certainly was a nice auction and enjoyable dialog.

.....Now if only the 456s could gather up the same momentum and excitement

Il Tifoso, Ferrari55whoa and SteveVT like this.
  7. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    I guess nobody noticed the warning light that was illuminated during the driving video. amazing result I'm sure the bids were based on emotional response to the near perfect detail and photo job. looked flawless.

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You mean the little red alarm light that commenter simsimma called out?

9. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    No during the driving video the warning light square looks to be illuminated

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Today we had a 550 that has been around the forum sell on BaT.

This 550 was previously offered by forum member @jstar out of Vancouver BC and was sold to our friend @Tarek307 https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/99-550-maranello-for-sale.640499/

Tarek then created a thread and within a very short amount of time he came to the understanding the "needs" list on the car and he sold it to a friend of his: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/finally-bought-a-550-pics-some-questions.642928/

That friend invested significantly in all the catch up and "while you are in there's" and then he just sold it today (presumably for a small loss) on BaT at: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-14/

The last 30 or so days have been fascinating to me regarding the F-car market.

Within about the last month....we have seen.....
    +) BaT Seller "Simsimma" bring 2 different imported JDM/Euro 550's and both RNM
    ++) $121k RNM 1997 non-federalized 53k mile Rossa Barchetta https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148485016/
    ++) $135k RNM 1997 non-federalized 48k mile Grigio Titanio https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148543050/
    THEN....
    +) BaT Seller "3pedalstable" had a no-frills, non-investment grade 22k mile but VERY well presented Rosso Corsa RING THE BELL
    ++) $231k SOLD 1997 22k mile Rossa Corsa https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148544119/

Then today went the no frills but major maintenance investment (had been made already) car for only $132,500.....I would have thought this car was worth WAY more than the 2 non-federalized 550's.

SOLD for $132,500 on 5/29/22 out of La Jolla, CA on a CA title with a dated but expected to pass smog situation (lots to like theoretically)
    1999 550 ZFFZR49A8X0113805 and assembly 31125
    +) 51,291 miles with a clean carfax
    +) Nero D.S. over nero standard seats had aftermarket metal shields put on during Tarek's brief ownership
    +) Auction noted, "Records from 2021 and 2022 total more than $40k and detail services performed by Bobileff Motor Car Company in San Diego, California."
    +) OEM Wheels with rear spacers on new 2021 tires
    +) No stickies and dashboard was recovered in 2005
    +) Aftermarket stereo with custom speaker enclosure on the rear shelf and seller noted "a whining noise coming from the speakers".
    +) Tubi style exhaust
    +) 113805
    +) This car was https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-14/

Part of me wants to know what my guy in San Jose would have charged for all that work Bobileff did (all that seemed low in comparison to "normal").

I don't know if the seller had a low reserve or made the call close to the finish line to lift the reserve but if it was the latter then I think he played his cards well. Given what we know (approximately) I would guess the seller might have taken a small loss at this level?.....but this is the right market and venue to send it to the next owner?

My gut is telling me that this car was a deal at the current market.....given the maintenance investment recently made......if it had a PPI and a compression/leak-down test then surely it was a good deal? Frankly I still can't get over the price paid for Nifty's (too low in my mind as well)...his was very optio.

Always interested in everyone's thoughts on this car, the result (which frankly I thought would have been higher) and I hope the buyer or seller checks in with us.

Be safe on the holiday tomorrow!

Ffre92 likes this.
  11. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    I think the fake shields hurt the car, and the boring spec.

root likes this.
  12. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    Also kind of dumb to give your car away under cost, makes people think every car that comes after should be equally priced.

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m making an assumption it cleared under cost. Only the seller and @Tarek307 know right now.

The friend Tarek sold to knew it was an investment flip I’m guessing some of the cost got higher (from an already inexpensive indy - Bobileff) and then the eyes were just not on that Nero/Nero auction like they were for 3pedalstable and his R/C which sold blazingly high for what it was (and needed a belt service).

lot of weird stuff still happening in the market and “resale red” worked on the other one.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m in the minority I’m sure but I like the shields….factory or aftermarket.

Tarek307 likes this.
  15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    When i bought that car last year i got a great deal on it and passed it on to Jay, (the seller on BaT 911993) who has become a friend, as i didn't want to deal with sorting the car..so even with all the work he did sorting it, he's happy with the outcome..The car ending on a Sunday i think wasn't ideal either..I always think its good when a little bit of $$ is left on the table for next buyer, so the buyer of this car on BaT got a good deal, and he can spend a little bit of more $$ doing other stuff to the car if he wishes...NEVER good to try and milk every penny out of a car IMO..too much greed lately, i think its better when its a fair deal all around.

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    just one guys opinion…. I think In this market with all that Jay invested I think it was “strong to buyer” and as you noted “acceptable to seller”.

I like the car, I’d have thought given the needs on the federalized cars at the same approx mileage I would have expected the black/black to be $15-20k higher than the non-federalized Grigio titanio and $15k-ish more than the non-federalized Rosso Barchetta. Color and maintenance being factors.

Opinions may differ.

I was glad to see it on BaT and if anything the sale perhaps hurts the guy that was trying to flip the 2 non-federalized 550s?

17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    That car was a USA car , it just went to Canada for a few years and then i bought it and brought it back to the USA before selling to Jay

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Agreed, I was referring to the 2 non-federalized cars BaT seller “simsimma” was flipping.

19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The black/black federalized car should always be more valuable than non-federalized — the question is — how much more…..at least $10k if not more…..

20. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Why do you think that? After 25 years, what’s the difference? I’d prefer a Euro.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dannyg likes this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    One word - California

root likes this.
  22. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    California is not the center of the galaxy, you’re kidding yourself if you think there’s a premium demanded for “federalized” cars.
    Also I wouldn’t call years of ownership/caretaking with recent major services “flipping” the cars either but that’s just me.
    I’m going to agree with Lorenzo on this one, euro cars come in better color combos more often , and look better aesthetically. I’d take one over something boring like Rosso corsa/tan any day. They should actually trade at a premium for good specs the same way euro 964s do.

LorenzoOO likes this.
  23. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    The other 49 states are waiting and praying for California to secede.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    not kidding myself, I know there is a discount for non-federalized cars.

California is the biggest market and cannot be ignored regarding resale.

Euro cars (at least to me) seem…”low optioned” but agree perhaps more often “more interesting color combos”.

25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @dannyg I should have also asked….do you have an “ideal” color/spec you are looking for?

When I was hunting TdF was at the top of my “realistic” list but I bought a Grigio Ingrid due to “the total package”.[/QUOTE]