Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 67 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    A perfect 575M factory stick from the Frank Micoli collection sold at Mecum Indy today for the very low price of $200k. A great looking car. Either the auction winner stole it or the market is collapsing.

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm actually still at work.....I shouldn't be screwing around so I can get out of here and drive home before my kids go to bed but I've been meaning to write up this past week's very low selling price 550 (albeit with issues) on C&B.

I'm coming in tomorrow as well but I'll try and scratch up one of the "traditional format" summaries....

$117,500 with 30k miles in "resale red"....

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98gJkvem/1997-ferrari-550-maranello

3. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #1653 Aerosurfer, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    I was at Indy Mecum last week and saw all these cars, all from the same collection. I thought the window summaries and estimates were way off par, but the market seems to have spoken. At least in Indy, where the exotics really aren’t any majority compared to the American Muscle.

The Gated 575 had a lower estimate on it and I had nearly assumed it was a converted car or had an accident history. The SA also went cheap(ish). Some of the Maranello’s in this collection did have the grill blacked out and the Gated 575 had non-stock rims. All seemed to be in good condition and prepared nice for presentation. Also indoors, on carpet at location helped display them. All were sold with No Reserve too.

The gated 456M was a beautiful car with a few cosmetic blemishes, but the sticker estimate was 80-100k and it hammered over 120k.

I was also able to pick up a single Schedoni 456GT luggage bag for $300 this week there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Something has to be off there, I can’t imagine the seller being ok with that. Having no or so low a reserve at Mecum on a Ferrari is a little foolish. There must be more to that story

5. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    That collection had a lot of cars in it, beyond the Ferraris, so who knows what kind of deal they got or who was tasked with overseeing it.

Went back yesterday to pick up my suitcase and we stayed watched a few cars run the block seemingly for lower money...

The modified 275gtb hammered before fees for 1.15m after they lifted reserve on the block.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 400 superamerica stalled @ 2mm

And we watched 3 in a row 05-06 Ford GT cars fail to break 400k. Only the third one sold. So auction fatigue or just the wrong location who knows.

I also went to Mecum Kissimmee and there were a lot more European classics and Exotics. The big difference, I thought, was in FL they were showcased much better too.

Really after watching all this, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't choose and online platform to continue to sell. Much more exposure, much more time to make a better decision, and quite frankly the peanut gallery I think adds to some of the pressure to buy

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I think you’re correct. In the 575/550 auctions, our peanut gallery is pretty realistic. Go over to the aircooled Porsche stuff, though…EVERYTHING is a gem. I recently got called out and flagged for pointing out what a car had been available for for MONTHS on AT prior to BAT while all these “experts” were weighing about how high it should go. I think anyone who follows a particular market should know these things anyway, and it’s absolutely stupid to pay $10-30,000 plus fees more than you would have a month ago. But the market manipulators and instagram hawkers were none too pleased…and quite frankly I’m glad.

Long story short - the peer pressure and quiet expectation is most certainly a factor.

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Sorry - meant to say too, I don’t think it’s a sign of the market collapsing because that would essentially be overnight failure sans any major precipitating event in the US or global economy. In fact, the recent news from Wall Street is quite the opposite. This would represent, at a minimum, an instant 33% reduction in pricing.

I am certainly seeing some cooling, though. I think some of the hype is fading and perhaps with that some of the interest among the fashion “enthusiasts” is subsiding as well. Fine by me as my stance has always been that our passion should belong to the passionate and not the speculators.

Ferrari55whoa, Ffre92 and Aerosurfer like this.
  8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    PC, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is the nature of an auction - timing, audience, who's in the room at a given time... I'd never risk something like that unless I just wanted to liquidate quickly.

Regarding the audience, Mecum is far from the epicenter for Tifosi. Not sure why a Ferrari collection of great models, assuming they are unassailable examples (we don't actually know this), would go there vs private placement or a platform where the audience is more closely matched with the lots. It looks like the Micoli Collection had 6 Ferrari and over 20 American cars. My hypothesis is that (1) Mecum was the best place for the American stuff, which represented the majority of the collection's value and (2) a good deal in terms of commission was negotiated to include the Ferraris. The business proposition could have been such that the Ferrari's may have been able to squeeze out another $500K total on the best day at RM Southebys or Gooding, but Mecum could have been EASILY offset that a lot of the extra value left on the table with reduced commission and simplification of the overall process.

At the end of the day, auctions may provide directional pricing and trends over time, but they are from a current snapshot of a market given the variables introduced in that format.

Chupacabra and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  9. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Lots of head scratchers here. 275 gtb for 1.15mil??? They have to add the repair cost for drywall from the seller banging his head on it.

And on the flip side, 137k for a butchered f430??

Chupacabra likes this.
  10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Full Name:
    Omar
    The supercharged 430 seems like a reasonable deal for a 7k mile car with what appear to mostly reversible mods? I don’t know 430 prices very well. Also it does looks like a bodykit…more taillights and badging?

11. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    That would be around right for an oem garage queen f430. For that price I would not want to spend any extra sourcing oem wheels and reversing the changes.

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Full Name:
    Omar
    #1662 Auraraptor, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    Ah gotcha. I didnt realize where f430 prices settled! Makes sense.

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm going to do a "two-fer" since this last week there were two interesting and contrasting results.

Lets first cover the Cars & Bids poorly ran and prepared 1997 550 in "resale red"
    1997 550 SOLD at $117,500 on 5/16/24 -- final result was hard to guesstimate since the owner had spent so little on maintenance and prep.
    +) VIN ZFFZR49A5V0109577 clean NV title and Assembly 26688
    +) just over 30k miles at time of sale (photos had shown 29,979 but the owner drove it just past 30k during the auction.
    +) another perfect example of a car that needed a PPI. I know many disagree but I'd prefer to do a PPI and then invest money with MY mechanic rather than buy one serviced by "not my guy".
    +) aftermarket shields; Daytonas
    +) Belts last done OVER 10 years ago (4/2013)
    +) "resonator delete and tinted windows" per the auction listing
    +) Carfax history report indicates this 550 sustained "moderate damage" to its rear after a rear-end collision with another motor vehicle in December 2021. The report adds that the airbags were not deployed. Owner claimed repaired damage was modest.
    +) front paint chips and leather dash issues (typical base of the windshield). Rough drivers side bolster.
    +) Variety of service docs included.
    +) perhaps the tires were reportedly 15 years old and the oil hadn't been changed in 6 years? Wow
    +) https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98gJkvem/1997-ferrari-550-maranello

In the current pricing environment the price reflects the accident history and massively deferred maintenance. Heaven knows what the "catch up" service would cost with all the "while you are in there's".

THAT LOW NUMBER for a manual was contrasted by a higher F1 575 over at bring a trailer

2004 575 F1 SOLD at $127,727 on 5/14/24 -- final result was strong but for a LOW mile (9,075) late car the hammer price didn't seem crazy?
    +) VIN ZFFBV55A740136318 out of Boca Raton, FL (on a PA title) and Assembly 53553
    +) Grigio Titanio over dark blue with contrasting stitching with daytonas (sharp looking interior), shields, modulars, yellow calipers, leather shelf.
    +) no docs and belts were allegedly done in 2021
    +) per the auction "Crazing clear coat is visible on one of the wheels".
    +) May of us from here had commented during the auction.
    +) BaT user "KirkLind1" noted that deGroot had done the conversion on his 575.
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ferrari-575m/

The only thing "probably" to not like on this is the lack of documentation?...and maybe a "full price".

INTERESTING to see a 550 two days apart and about $10k lower (understanding the 550 is tired and needs an investment well exceeding $10k).

Always enjoy watching this market and how it often vacillates based on "investor vs driver".

I'm INTERESTED in guys thoughts.....do you buy the tired with needs 550 or the "ready to rock" 575 at these prices......

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    575 all day long. Much better spec, almost assuredly better condition. As you point out, that 550 likely seems like a deal, but once you get into it…

only reservation I would have is how low the mileage is on the 575.

Don’t forget, too - realistically people are paying $5-7500 more do the car to use an auction site (drives me nuts when I see people buy a car and pay more with fees that has been for sale elsewhere for months!!!). That has to be factored into value.

Ferrari55whoa and Auraraptor like this.
  15. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Ha... now you are adding in logic for people who don't have any

16. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Agreed rationally...the 575 is a better sorted car in general but the 550 is so damn pretty...

17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I always expect too much from people :)

Ferrari55whoa and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My wife reminds me way too frequently that the “greatest generation” is almost gone and all subsequently are diluted. 8-(

Chupacabra and Qksilver like this.
  19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nick- Just as a note, the Maranellos in the sale did not have blacked out grilles. Black grille was standard on 575Ms and 250 GT style optional until mid-CY 03.

20. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    I have the optional (I thought) chrome / 250 style grill on my 2004, I believe it was available until the end of production.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Joe- They were standard on 2004s and later. I have an early 2004, 135171, and it was standard on her.

22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1672 Ferrari55whoa, May 30, 2024
    Last edited: May 30, 2024
    This is interesting.....
    I noted in the comment above that this federalized (in 2001) Euro 550 hammered RNM at $202 on 4/15/24

My original review from the prior sale at $191,000 on 9/9/22 can be seen here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148743349/

While a nice car....It felt like "all the money" on 4/15/24.....that RNM meant the car went to Pcar market and it just ended a few minutes ago.....

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/dealtank-2000-ferrari-550-maranello/

This time around it also went RNM at $155. Now it goes to the Pcar "Deal Tank" with a buy it now (taking offers) at $220.

Not knocking the car at all here.....federalized which is nice. Just interesting to see how wild some of the variations in prices are.

I'd been talking with my non-ferrari friends and I've seen just in the last week or so a handful of BaT to then pcar market cars that were RNM in both places....it sure seems like sellers need to watch the goal line at BaT and then lift reserve if its even kinda close given the number of eyes on BaT......

EDIT
    BTW perhaps we are just putting a stake in the ground on Euro 550's at the moment given this recent black on black with modest miles.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-550-maranello-41/
    Hammered 5/26/24 $157,550
    VIN: ZFFZR49B000120639 with 20k miles

23. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    New Cars & Bids video on YT: 5 undervalued supercars to buy right now. 550-specific piece starts at about 12:52.

Ferrari55whoa and dhalperin13 like this.
  24. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Mark to market the cost of an OEM 575 conversion kit ~$21k. I saw at least two conversion installers on the auction that closed today in the action.

I figured it would go for more.

otoupalik likes this.
  25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Joe and I were both thinking $20k so the fact it landed at $20,250 before fee felt ok.

I’m on my Griswolds family vacation with the girls but will try and post up a synopsis of the kit and the VERY low sale price on the 41k mile 575

Joel Delman and otoupalik like this.