Marko just said what everyone else is thinking! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Marko just said what everyone else is thinking!

Discussion in 'F1' started by furoni, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There's no doubt that the Mercedes would still be winning with the 2018 tyres on it. BUT, I do think Ferrari and Red Bull both would've taken victories. Red Bull certainly 1 in Monaco, Ferrari probably a split between Mercedes with equal wins.

Newey had to change the car after testing after he made it too tight which caused the car to overheat. I don't think they where real contenders yet due to the engine needing upgrades still. They'd be taken several wins throughout the year but ultimately not really compete, unless the Ferrari duo and Mercedes duo kept sneaking points of each other.

daytona355 and TonyL like this.
  2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Even if Ferrari were, lets say "favoured" with a better tyre it doesn't hide the fact that they have thrown many a race through poor race strategy, driver error or car failure. The Merc's have been bullet proof for quite a while now so everyone else has to up the anti. I still think the Merc's would struggle if they got mid pack as Bottas proved last Sunday. Their car is definitely at its best to be in front in clean air.

Even with Newey at the helm, SF are better so they are a worthy second. The Honda engine has possibly made the biggest gains since it started and I am sure it will improve further with time.

Testing or the lack of it is the major problem for others to catch up, so we are stuck in the status quo until a major "ingenious" breakthrough in the aero department is found.

Tony

william likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

yep but I took that into calculation. It would at least be somewhat of a competition. Ferrari to throw wins away through incompetence, Mercedes to be strong everywhere regardless...Red Bull ever improving.

Red Bull indeed not the best car but undoubtly harmed by that engine. Ferrari's engine is immensely powerful, Mercedes fantastic still. Remains to be seen how much Honda can improve but with Verstappen there, he'll make the difference to be a contender. That car definitely is 3rd best, though.

daytona355 and TonyL like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The issue is that most race series including F1 don’t want competition. They want the illusion of competition. F1 could let each team do best what they do best and let them ALL compete. They don’t. Rules are drafted to promote a specific team or hold a specific team back.

daytona355, Bas and TonyL like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The famous quote from Smokey Yunnick:

"These guys cheat. How do I know ? Well, I cheat and they beat me !!"

cmos, bmwracer and TonyL like this.