Martha Gets 5 Months !!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Martha Gets 5 Months !!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by DrStranglove, Jul 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Despite it being a personal decision for her, she was the CEO of a major company. As such, any displays of impropriety are not taken well by shareholders. To them, it is an indication of what they should expect from her as a businesswoman. Would you invest in a company or use their products if the company was run by Ken Lay? I don't think so!

It is not the media's fault that 200 people lost their jobs. The media was simply reporting an issue that is important to the public. While Martha may have been one of the few to get into trouble for what she did, I still think that it is a great start. White collar criminals cost this country BILLIONS of dollars per year. So some people say, "Marthat was simply made an example of!"

I say so friggin what?! It is about time that people in her position are held accountable for their actions. You can't feel sorry for her on the basis that "things were blown out of proportion."

You said "How would any of you like it if your job/business was affected by whatever you did in your personal life. I think most of us would be out of a job."

It would certainly be a horrible feeling. Yet people drove the price of her stock up because of a perception that they had of Martha. Her image has huge impacts on her company. Since this is true, Martha should have been well aware of the consequences of tarnishing her reputation and eventually screwing 200 people of their jobs.

Basically you said that people should be punished for such actions, yet you think it is unnecessary that Martha was made an example of. I think that corporate crimes are not taken seriously by this country and that it is a wonderful thing that Martha, and her stockbroker, faced the music.

Just because she was the first doesn't mean she did not deserve it and that others deserve it as well. It is a good start and I hope that the trend continues.