Martin Brundle just unleashed on F1 | FerrariChat

Martin Brundle just unleashed on F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096/11719448/martin-brundle-on-spanish-gp-frustrations-and-f1-future-visions

wholeheartedly agree.

I'm at a breaking point with F1 with this year. 5 years of Merc dominance and FIA ruling in their favour, making up rules to suit them. The least exciting team and formula at the forefront.

Driving these cars, especially the 2017+ ones, they have so much grip, so much aero....it's a piece of piss really. Once you understand the systems it's not even that hard.

2021 rules are crucial and if FIA/F1 goes with whatever rules manufacturers want ''or we'll leave''....well, I'll leave.

Toying with the idea of Monaco being the last GP for me this year.

frank320, Deuce2, alnimmob55 and 13 others like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I have been an F1 fan for most of my life, certainly for 40 of my 50 years.

I have missed the odd race whether it be because I simply could not view it for not being at home, or even fell asleep during a few.
    However for the first time in my life I did something I have never done in 40 years. I reached for the TV remote and switched off the Spanish GP after 10 minutes.

3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I cannot argue with Brundle.

I was fortunate to be on a date in an Irish pub in Munich on Sunday that was broadcasting the "race" .
    Occassionally my date and I would glance at the screen and not much had changed.
    As a spectacle over 66 laps it failed miserably. At least the Guinness and our conversation was at the correct temperature.

As Brundle mentions Max Verstappen is currently the only driver out performing his car.

4. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Martin's article is good. I returned home from a US trip on Sunday and turned on the race. I found it typical of past F1 races and it didn't really interest me.

blackbolt22, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've always planned around F1 races. Everyone I know knows if there's a GP on I'm not available. Last few years it's changed. I find myself not caring so much.

It's easy to blame Ferrari for being inept. I do not want Ferrari winning everything, or any other team. Whatever rules we have, there's only ever going to be 3 teams with a real chance of winning the race on Sunday anyways. But the current regulations do not allow for any team to really catch up or move up in the field. Everything is centered around how great your aero is and how good of an engine you have. And with how complicated both are, it's impossible to catch up with the richest team(s). Red Bull/Ferrari stand little chance challenging Mercedes. But none of the other teams have a hope in hell in beating RBR/Ferrari, let alone Mercedes.

Simpler engines, simpler aero, simpler everything, will make F1 sustainable, far better to watch. Look at what Brundle says....this race was decided by 1 simple thing: A clutch algorithm! Safe for some supernerd out there, who cares about that sort of thing? We're all fools wasting our precious time and money on this sport. I want improvement and I want it to come fast. This is by far the worst era of F1. We have a lot of people to blame, and all of these people will remain in power.

Say what you want about Bernie, he'd have sorted this out years ago.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I quit watching in 2016 and only watched Monaco in 2017 - Ferrari 1-2! - but came back last year. I was hopeful Ferrari had caught up with Merc and things would get better.

No dice. If Ferrari doesn't end strong this season, I won't bother with 2020.

7. Guegangster

Guegangster Karting

Apr 24, 2014
    France
    Full Name:
    Julien Guegan
    I stopped watching after qualifying in Melbourne.
    I knew it would be another easy wdc for Louise and wcc for Mercs.
    Now, I just do a quick read through of the race threads. More interesting that way which says all about the quality of the "show"

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Spot on assessment. The top 3 have the major influence for new rule shaping!! We fans appear to be secondary consideration for the larger scheme.

E60 M5 and Bas like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes.

As am I but will probably watch Spa and Monza out of sentiment. Austin was the only race I missed last year and Kimi won!

It will free up my weekends for more enjoyable pursuits. I don't enjoy the "sport" anymore.

Screw Bernie, I think that Bas is the man to sort this out;)

daytona355, Isobel, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #10 ktu, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Brundle has some good points, however for as long as i've been watching f1, there has always been dominate F1 teams, Ferrari, Redbull, Mclaren. There has been a great amount of boring races where the top team would dominate, well before the Hybrid era. This is nothing new it's just F1. Having said that, Ferrari and Merc were mixing it up last couple of years, i saw some good racing. Ferrari had lead in points 2017&18. I may be of a small group but I want F1 to remain the technical leaders of autosports. I don't want to make the cars slower or less advanced to make the racing better. There are plenty other sports that provide that type of racing, Nascar , Indycar, Lemans etc. When i watch F1, i want to see tech a speed at its fastest state, Only F1 provides this. I remember some here saying the recent Bahrain race was a good race, i thought it was good. Well it sucked for Leclerc.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If only I was given the platform!

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Tech matters but driving skill should have large factor in F1 equations. Touch more driver than car factor possibly.

Finlander and Bas like this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Well now that is saying something.

I kept it on in the background while making some travel plans and rearranging some other items on my schedule. The races are not getting nearly the focus I used to give them. If something interesting occurs I may back up the DVR.

Thank goodness for IndyCar.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I gave it some time. I wanted to see the performance of not just us, but everyone on different types of circuits.

Ferrari stands no chance.

Red Bull stands no chance.

No one does.

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There are motorcycles with more displacement than current F1 cars. Heck, the V6 in my Highlander has TWICE the displacement of the current F1 cars.

And why do they have to sound like leaf blowers? The turbo V6 formula of the late 70's sounded quite good.

I wish there was more reliance on the ICE than the electric gizmos.

Bas likes this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Indycar has **** all tech really and those races are very entertaining. Tech development for the so called future of automotive technology should be stuck in Formula E and LMP1. If F1 was serious about real advancement they'd force hydrogen engines (and no, I'm not getting into a debate here with some regarding hydrogen is part of the future or not).

It's not hard to dream up some decent 2021 rules. It really isn't. It's just a different formula we need. The current one still is not working despite endless promises from the idiots in charge. ''oh the delta shape front wings will allow cars to follow so close it'll be great''. ********. 5 seconds and they can already feel disturbance. 2 seconds it gets really difficult. 1 second only for a lap or 2 before tyres are ****ed.

2021 is do or die.

375+ and G. Pepper like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree the sound is an important part of the spectacle.

Nortonious, Bas and G. Pepper like this.
  18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I used to watch F1 every race from 1987 to 2008. After that, it just became so complex, cars so ugly, drivers so boring (gradually) that i just lost interest in waking up early to see the parade. I do miss the F1 from back then but everytime i catch a race on, it's a bore fest.

daytona355, Isobel, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Way way way too much tech in these cars.

Need more driver skill than people on laptops telling the driver what to do.

Aero needs more simplification.

The engine dept needs a total revamp but that won't happen unless Mercedes and Renault leaves. High revving ICE/ATMO platforms (Turbos too). Screw this efficiency crap and component crap.

The tire situation needs a revamp too. It's like every 2 years there's a freakin tire change.

Finlander, daytona355, Isobel and 4 others like this.
  20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Still the driver is a big factor today despite electronics. Vettel spinning, Verstappen hitting someone, Leclerc finding more race pace than Vettel, Ham beating Bottas on the start, all these moments were developed by the driver.

william likes this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I hate to say it but they need someone like Trump to just sort it out! Same with Brexit etc etc.

Make F1 great again!

If they come up with just tinkering around the edges of the problems nothing is really going to change,same old same old.

Ok guys This is what we ARE doing from 2021,not what we we are proposing ,like it or lump it .Problem is of course everything revolves around some very big $$$.Liberty will not take the ultimate risk of the whole thing blowing up in their faces if a bunch of teams walk. So we have Ross B doing his best to keep all the plates in the air spinning and come up with some kind of compromise in an attempt to keep everyone happy.

KISS, kill the Aero for starters.I mean really kill it off!:mad:

22. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Brundle is right on point, the cars suck, the engines suck, the drivers are dull as dishwater except Max. Anyone of the current field of drivers could win in a Mercedes for the last 5 years. F1 and the manufactures have to know it is broken and people are finding better ways to spend their weekends and money on things that are more entertaining, which has not been difficult since 2014, once they lose the fans, they probably are not coming back. It got so bad this weekend, my wife told me “that if I want to continue to watch this crap, I can do it on my own going forward, it is worse than watching golf!” My wife had been a fan of F1 since she lived in England in the mid 1990s. We used to go to at least one race and sometimes 2 every year between 2000 and 2013, have not gone to a race since 2013 and have found other things to fill the void. I really feel for the Sky broadcast team trying to pretend this is exciting and unpredictable every broadcast.

23. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Ham didn't beat Bottas there was an "issue" with his clutch

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is never an "issue" on Hamilton's car.

E60 M5, daytona355, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Gee I guess Brundle has been reading my posts for 6 years on Fchat:

"I'm convinced that F1 has gone the wrong way with these hybrid V6 1.6-litre engines, control systems, and aero"