Martin's Curse and the Rescue of a Former Teenage Garage Queen | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Martin's Curse and the Rescue of a Former Teenage Garage Queen

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by AJS328, Jun 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Fo shizzle.

Actually, there is something very special to me about the black/tan 328--it was my first drive/ride in a Ferrari. So, it holds a very special place in my heart.

She's gorgeous. Congrats! and welcome back! Somehow, it just didn't seem right, I knew you'd be back soon. :)

2. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

welcome home Gus :)

3. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Congratulations on another great color combo 328. Please post your comparison between the 87 & 89.

BTW, Where is Azzurro? did it go to auction, private party, or trade in to P dealer.

Vinny

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Awesome ride gus!!!!
    Erik

5. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Welcome 'black,' Augustine!

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hmm, Darth328.......kinda catchy......hmmmm.......

DL

7. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Hey there Gus...great story! Many people have said to me that my garage is all dolled up as if I will ALWAYS have a Ferrari...you are correct sir!

All the best Gus.

Todd

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome back into the F-car world! I never really left the board. I was just so distracted by the absence of my car and the search for a replacement that I couldn't find much time to post. Now I will be back in full swing.

Vinny,

To answer your question, the azzurro car was traded at the dealer that I originally bought it from. Because he specializes in Porsches he then wholesaled it to a friend that deals in Ferraris who then sold it to a new owner. I am curious as to it's whereabouts myself. Hopefully the new owner will find his way here. I'd love to see it again! :)

As for the differences between the '87 and the '89, there aren't too many. The front end feels a little more darty over uneven pavement than the '89 car did, which is probably what was addressed with the suspension revisions that they made to the later cars. This car seems to shift much more smoothly at all temperatures than the other car did. I imagine that this may have something to do with proper care and the "youth" of this car. In particular, the 1st to 2nd shift when warm is VERY smooth. For some reason the engine actually sounds healthier in this car. Again, this could be due to the mileage but I'm not really sure. The car arrived early yesterday morning and everything has been okay so far. I'm going to schedule the 30k service soon just to be on the safe side.

On a side note, those of you who have seen this car when it was advertised on the web will probably remember a custom speaker enclosure ahead of the center console. This was the first thing that I had planned to remove because I am a little anal about originality. Well, I must say that the audio system sounds fantastic! In fact, while the car is running, you can actually hear it! I know, it's crazy. I think I'm going to keep it. It matches the factory leather anyway.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. It feels good to be back. :)

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Great story !now you need a new avatar and sig :)

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Congrats Gus, welcome back! What happened to the P-car, is there going to be a good deal on one somewhere in NJ? :)

This thread is actually pretty timely. I left the house this morning in a bit of mood, I just came off a great weekend and really didn't want to come to work. I'm tired and cranky. I saw the Ferrari in the garage and remembered that I'm wrestling with an oil leak that we can't seem to track down. I haven't had time to drive it enough to see if it's still happening and while I was thinking about all of this, I thought that maybe it's just time to sell the car. It really is an extravagance, and it requires a lot of time, effort and $$$ to keep it up. I thought I could sell it, buy some other motorized toy at half the cost, and free up some cash for something else.

Thanks for slapping me back to my senses. I'm now remembering Jim Schads buddy riding shotgun with me last Thursday night, his first ride in a Ferrari. It IS a big deal.

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Congratulations Augustine!!

Yep, it is definately a curse, or perhaps a virus.

Enjoy.

Dom

12. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am having just the opposite experience - I sold my 308 a month ago, been looking at getting another Porsche lately;

Went to exotic car show in Denver Sunday, fearing that seeing so many F cars again would give me second thoughts, make me wish I still had my F car.

It didn't. Nothing. Dead. No feelings at all, other than to remember PT Barnum's comment about a certain 'class' of people being born every minute, and WC Field's advice to never give this 'class' of people an even break; looking at the sea of red, made me glad I no longer belonged to this 'class' of people.

Maybe because I've reached that stage in life where my ego is no longer attached to what I drive, own or where I live. That priorities change, and things that once seemed important are now seen as needless indulgences.

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

What does this mean? You were a sucker and you found another sucker? Enjoy the Porsche, although I do find it hard to believe your ego did not come into the decision.

Gus, enjoy the new ride!

14. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    If you really were driving a Ferrari just because you think it is a status symbol, no surprise that you do not miss it!
    I drive mine for the pleasure of it, and that will never cease...
    Sorry for you.

Ciao

Eugenio

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
  16. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if this is true, either you're ready to join a commune or you're not being completely honest with yourself. Priorities are based on a spectrum, not a binary. So sure, you no longer feel the need to drive an exotic car, but make no mistake, "needless indulgences" are a necessary part of the human experience (I would guess that some would call your choice of a Porsche a "needless indulgence"). It's the difference between living and surviving.

"Judge not lest ye be judged" and all that jazz.

17. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Ha-:) Good to see the right man back in the right car. (MIB ?)

enjoy

cinquevalvole

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Bah - He's in the wrong color car!

19. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Welcome to the Dark Side LUKE!
    :)

That is how you keep your customer base :) I am starting to learn. If only I would have taken you serious when you sent me that first e-mail that you were looking again. Well even I would have given you more time on the P-car.

Glad it worked out!

Martin

20. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Beautiful car!!!! Congratulations.

21. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Are you still broken up about the azzurro car or just pissed that I didn't buy yours? ;)

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Minkia In Black...?

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Lesson 1: There is no letter K in the Italian alphabet. ;)

24. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Lesson 2: go and check what minchia (in Italian reads like Minkia) means in sicily dialect...

Ciao

Eugenio

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Fascinating, Gus.

Lesson 3: Please, if you would, explain the geneology.

DL