Maser Coupe vs. 456 - Anyone driven both? | FerrariChat

Maser Coupe vs. 456 - Anyone driven both?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ryalex, Jan 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In the same price range, used Coupes and 95-97 456's are the two 2+2's made by F/M.

Can anyone compare these? Does one feel heavier? Is one notably faster? Backseat space (I've sat in a 456, but not the back - it would just be for my son though)?

Have you found any solutions for a baby car seat that would fit?

2. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Go with the 456:
    -more power
    -more prestige
    -better looking
    -more solid chasis and handling
    -depreciation down to trickle level
    -nicer interior
    -quite reliable
    -more room in back seat

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Very interesting debate question. I'm always thinking about if/when I upgrade, and will probably face this same decision at some point in the future.

Both are great cars. Both are depreciating like rocks (and no, I don't see a bottom to the depreciation yet).

I talked to one of the F-dealers at the LA autoshow about this same question, and he was strongly pushing the Maserati. The maserati has a bigger back seat, and is theoretically more reliable, since it is newer (and still under warrantly). He mentioned that he had a 2yo with cambiocorsa for about $55k. I believe the maser is also quicker (0 to 60 at least).

That said, I worry about the future reliabiliity of the maserati, especially those equipped with the cambiocorsa tranny. Maybe a 6 speed would be a better option if you are interested in reliability.

The 456. Well, it's a 456. 12 Cylinders. mmmmmmmm. What more to be said.

I suppose if your intent is to drive it daily, go for the maser. If you want a fun "toy" car for the weekends, etc., go for the 456.

Dom

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Id go with the 456 for the looks, panache, torque, engine and almost everything more than the maserati.

then again, the maserati is newer, under warranty and much cheaper to maintain

5. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    If you want a garage queen, get th 456. If you want to drive it, get the Maser.

6. bovanova

bovanova Rookie

May 18, 2004
    I have driven both. Masser is much more fund to drive, but it is not a Ferrari. The 456 drive and ride is not fun. It drives like a boat. I own a 360, so I am spoiled. When I drove the 456, I thought it was my father's old Cadillac.

7. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    DOM pretty much summed up my feelings on the whole subject:)
    IMO, the Maserati is just as prestigous as most any four-seater Ferrari has ever produced.
    Bottom line...do you want the better handling car, a car with greater technology, a car you can comfortably drive day to day and has a new car warranty or do you want a Ferrari?:)

8. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I will never buy a maser coupe. The cowl shake is a design defect and they have not been able to remedy it. It does not feel as solid as a 456.

9. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    There is no such thing as cowl shake in a coupe. the problem exists in the 2002 Spyder's. It was addressed for the 2003 model year by stiffening the chassis about 22%.

10. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have driven both and own a 2003 Maserati. There is no comparison at all. I would take the Maserati over the 456 every time. The differences are many but include the warranty, sound of the engine, overall performance, looks (I think the 456 is not attractive at all) and technology. When you buy a 456 you are buying 10 year old technology versus the Maserati which is state of the art and includes things like Skyhook, MSP and lets not forget the engine is the same engine being used in the new F430 minus a bunch of performance mods... I have not had one problem with my car since I purchased it. Put a TUBI on it and its sounds better than my 360....

11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Wow, I'm surprised the 456 is taking quite a beating here... although this IS the Maserati turf... :)

Cadillac? Ouch, harsh! I would have expected comparison to a MB coupe, but not a Caddy!

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have not driven a Maserati, although I have sat in them and looked at them closely, and in fact considered one before getting my 456. The 456 is a wonderful car-- try driving one for a longish test drive, and you will see what I mean. It is also a surprisingly good around town daily driver, better than I expected. The back seat in the 456 works well for kids. I have taken both kids and my wife on overnight trips, and everyone was happy.

From a depreciation/resale perspective you will be much better off with the 456 as well (assuming you don't buy a 2003 456M for over $100k). I can't argue about the warranty-- I wouldn't mind having a warranty on the 456, although mine has really been pretty good.

It is also much better looking than the Hyundai... oops, meant Maserati. The Maserati looks like a Hyundai to me, anyway.

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    #13 lukek, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I tried 2 of each, a 95 456, a 99 456, an 02 CC Maser, and an 04 CC Maser
    I bought a 6 speed 02 maser !

Why?

-more modern tech and safety
    -better for car seats (tried both, more room in the maser, ratcheting/locking in belts, and hooks in rear parcel shelf for rear seat tether, none of the above in the 456)
    -a factory warranty
    -same power, really, 0-60, top speed, etc.
    -you save $20K over the F car (55K for an 02 maser, and 75K for a 95 456)
    -you save on maintenance, no $7K belt service for the maser
    -easier to pass off at work than a Ferrari, lower profile, yet exclusive and elegant
    -better interior, more elegant and no melting plastic, warping dash
    -no window problems, no $40K auto trannt rebuilds

Then again, I already have a prancing horse in the garage, so I was fine with what I thought was a better value proposition. Mt F car was more of an emotional purchase..

Here are the kids in my 02 Coupe, a Britax is a perfect fit
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    FWIW, I'm a pretty big guy and I fit much more comfortably in the Maserati.

Larry

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    without question Maserati got it right with this fix. I have driven a number of vert's over the years the last being a Boxster S and I find my 2004 Spyder to me more solid than the Boxster. Many good points here about why the Maserati should win out here, but bottom line is there are some people who just want to own a "Ferrari" even with all those headaches and extra expenses. Over 2,000 miles and 9 months with my car and not one trip back to dealership. Seems quality issues with Maserati's were over blown

16. RosCabezas

RosCabezas Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Spain
    Full Name:
    David Pardo
    So cute! You're a lucky guy.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    These are main points in my mind - the coupe is only the price of a 348!

But the psychological pull of "my Ferrari" is tough to deal with. If I were a more rational man, I know to go for the coupe... and yes, they sound spectacular with the Tubi (Risi brought a few to the FFQC). Nice deep burble.

Interesting experience last night when my wife said it wouldn't matter - I could get a 2-seater, since she doesn't want the baby in the car with me 'driving all crazy.' So maybe I could get a 2 and feel okay (right now I have the urge to include everyone...).

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I will have to add my vote for the Maserati. Even though I not not have my 03 coupe, the 14 months I owned it were very enjoyable. I'm not sure I'd agree with everything that has been said here but given the choice listed above I would choose the Maserati everytime. If the syder had a backseat I'd be picking one up in the spring. I only wish that the shifter was further back on the console, not a good spot for short armed guys like me.

19. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I would like to see Maserati address that also. My arms are not short but I am a little over 6 feet tall and have seat all the way back so makes for a stretch to shift. I think if I measure my arms I will find that my right arm is now probably longer from all that stretching

20. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    In all of my Alfas, I have always had the issue of my legs being too long. I would always sit in the splay-legged position. I even got used to it. Italian cars used to cater to the short legs and long arm kinda guy. but I do not have an issue in the Maserati.
    Perhaps you guys could investigate those medieval torture machines which stretch your limbs? How hard could it be?
    We all know we cannot get Ferrari to design for the North American 90 percentile male, so you gotta do something, right?
    :)

21. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Hi Ryan

See for yourself...I would be happy to give you a tour of the car, and a drive - I will probably be at several FCA New England events this year.

My Maserati is currently in storage till approx. April, so hope that can wait till the weather turns friendlier.

- Jon

P.S.: If I were to pick one of the 7 dwarves' names to describe each car...
    456: Sleepy, Maserati Coupe: Angry

22. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've driven a maser coupe, the cowl shake was present. Felt like a jag xke coupe.

23. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    lol...funny statement considering the 456 has been bashed numerous times over the years for being a little too "Tiburon" like:)

24. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    The term cowl shake is not even used in the context of coupes. You might have heard a rattle, a creak, but with a fixed roof, it is not there. Car magazines did not find it, either.
    Are you camparing it to the 60s XKE monocoque coupe, where the engine is a separate subassembly? Or the modern XK8? I drove the XKR coupe and the XKR convert, the supercharged versions. The convert did have cowl shake beyond what I thought was acceptable. It was actually worse, in my perception, than a Miata and an Alfa Spider I used to have.

25. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I've driven several 02 maser coupes. Both with cambriocorsa. That's the main difference driving wise to me. It makes the car much more aggressive off from a start and has a better sound. That said, I now own a 456. It's a more classic and more stout highway cruiser. Also, the depreciation is done and I'll keep it for a long time.