Maserati 5000 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati 5000

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ferrari_250tdf, Sep 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    All correct, Elliot. But today with modern gear driven engines lot of the noise is gone.

2. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I cut my teeth (pun intended) in the mechanical world with DOHC Offy engines. These featured gear driven cams. The late, great Offy Guru who I learned under, went through his mid-life crisis, and tamed down an Offy to power his '33 Ford PU truck. He had 2 mufflers in series to keep things quiet. Well, this made the exhaust note TOO quiet! With the muffled exhaust, one could now hear all the mechanical racket that these gear drive engines made. It was embarrasing, and 2nd muffler was rapidly removed!

3500 GT, Ferraripilot and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #28 3500 GT, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  5. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Discretion is the better part of valor here, but it was very fair considering previous sales.

olefre likes this.
  6. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    Hi Walter, the car is since few month not more on the market and now in private collection. Cargold never sold the car.
    Best regards
    Nico

7. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    I have never met Dr. Doll himself, but the work he has done is not accepted by Maserati, as Maserati believes that an electronic injection system has no place in the car. It was clear from the "internal engine no" what kind of engine it was, and yet a different engine number was stamped into the engine with the wrong stroke numbers.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's my understanding the Lucas injection system designed for the 5000gt was a disaster to tune through the entire rev range. As in, one part of the power band could be tuned but at the expense of the other part. The Bosch mechanical injection system as used by many 911s and some other applications used a 3 dimensional fuel pump cam called a 'space cam' which could be tuned, albeit it is somewhat difficult to do. I do not think the Lucas injection system was quite as good, especially at cold starts thus I cannot entirely blame Dr. Doll or anyone for making a 5000gt engine electronic fuel injection so long as it appeared entirely stock from opening the hood.

I know some people like to substitute the mechanical fuel pump for an electric type on various inline 6 variants, also a good idea!