Maserati A6G Allemano | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati A6G Allemano

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thebigmboy, Jul 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep. I could provide some historical photos of the Allemano-interior.

Ciao!
    Walter

2. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    #27 jonack, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    #28 jonack, Aug 22, 2011
  4. thebigmboy

thebigmboy Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    La Jolla, CA
    Thank you for everyones help and support in this forum we are thrilled to have had our car at pebble and taken first place! Not only were we the only maserati this year we were probably one of the only allemano cars that have won or one of the few.

5. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Hello all
    I have a 9000 mile never restored never rusted dry Arizona A6G Allemano in my garage and the frame is definately not that non metalic grey.
    It is a dull metalic silver, possibly the original color of the car, as the body was a similar color. I would not think the frame was painted in body color. I know of a restored red Zagato with similar dull silver and black underbody scheme.
    The non frame parts are covered with what looks like undercoating and are black, including the alloy floors and painted firewall.
    This car has been off the road since the early '60s and has not been messed with.
    Enjoy
    Rich

6. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Hello all
    I have a 9000 mile never restored never rusted dry Arizona A6G Allemano in my garage and the frame is definately not that non metalic grey.
    It is a dull metalic silver, possibly the original color of the car, as the body was a similar color. I would not think the frame was painted in body color. I know of a restored red Zagato with similar dull silver and black underbody scheme.
    The non frame parts are covered with what looks like undercoating and are black, including the alloy floors and painted firewall.
    This car has been off the road since the early '60s and has not been messed with.
    Enjoy
    Rich

7. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Hello Rich, would you be so kind as to post some photos of your A6G?

8. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    #33 maserich, Sep 22, 2011
  9. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Oops
    Here's another.

10. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    #35 maserich, Sep 22, 2011
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, as they are a little out of focus.
    However - this is the 1st A6G that possibly came without the non-metallic grey on the frame.

Can you post photos of the car as well? VIN?

Ciao!
    Walter

12. iicarJohn

iicarJohn Karting

Jun 13, 2007
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    John de Boer
    This car, built in a prolonged fashion on one of the earliest chassis in the A6G/54 series ... yet with perhaps the last Frua body completed in what turned out to be a small series ... also had silver paint on the chassis and in the engine compartment. Some of the silver was dusted onto on a fairly heavy primer that was very dark, almost black. All clearly original!

Always avoid saying "always", particularly for hand-made cars made in small numbers over a lengthy time period. Suppliers changed, workers were replaced, options were revised and were more than a bit subject to certain whims in any case.

Some cars were "kinda-sorta" completed and returned to Maserati for finishing amd others were delivered to their customers without returning to Maserati once the coachbuilding was completed. It is preposterous to pretend that all finishes were consistent from one car to the next.

Also interesting is the dash panel and a battery-cover/access panel behind the seats , both complex shapes in fiberglass in this car. Also clearly original and noted in some other cars as well. It has also become clear that the build was begun with a Maserati gearbox fitted to this chassis but the car was completed with a ZF. There's a surprising amount of magnesium ("Elektron") used in various castings.

John

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    John,
    good info(s). Can you post photos????

Ciao!
    Walter

14. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    This Allemano is SN 2195.
    The second last and one of the earliest have silver frames.

15. iicarJohn

iicarJohn Karting

Jun 13, 2007
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    John de Boer
    I did not notice the last reply so am late to respond.

2104 was, as has been noted, an early chassis in the series. But, it was one of the last cars in the series to be bodied by Frua, if not the actual last car in the series. We should not assume that other early chassis were "bright silver" as this car was completed and delivered very late.

John

16. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    John,
    thanks for sharing this photos. Since the mechanics have highjacked the Maserati-section its nice to find again an "important" Maserati here!

Ciao!
    Walter

18. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    You're welcome, it was a fun event and fun to photograph. Don't be too hard on the mechanics, the cars don't make it out without them.

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, but the cars can tell more than only mechanical issues.

Almost (!) nobody here is interested in the great Maserati race cars. And while the Ferrari-community on this Forum discussing and sorting the history of many cars we find here more QP-discussions than about A6GCS, 200S, 300S and A6G etc.!

Its a shame...

20. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I wouldn't mind hearing more about Maserati racing cars, but can't really contribute much as I don't know all that much about them.

Perhaps I ask too many questions as a relative newcomer to the forum and the marque, and understand from your and others comments that QP3s aren't 'real' Maseratis. At least not a car of any interest to a true enthusiast. Kind of like how the Biturbos are treated.

Maybe one day I'll buy a Ghibli, Mistral, or 3500, or even a Mexico (another car that seems to elicit yawns around here, but one that I find attractive, in a "3500-extra-large" kind of way ;-), but right now I have a QP3, am thoroughly enjoying it and eager to learn more about Maserati, especially the period between the second world war and the late 70's (i.e. from the A6 to the QP3, or right before it, more or less). With a family, job and other things to attend to, this will never be more than a hobby for me (although a passionate one), unlike many others here who apparently work in a closely related field, if not with the cars or marque directly.

For there to be any discussion about Maserati's racing efforts, as well as the people behind it all, someone with that knowledge needs to step up and post. I'm all ears...

Cheers,
    Thor

Trandared and 71Satisfaction like this.
  21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    THor,
    most of the Ferrari experts with their very profund knowledge never drove, co-drove, worked or owned in any way one of the race cars from Maranello. But they sorted the historicalproblems, gaps etc.! 99% of the owners of those cars never researched anything...

Ciao!
    Walter

22. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Hi Ivan,
    I have the second to last A6G2000 Allemano which has around 11000 KMs on it.
    It has never been restored and the chassis is, and always was a dull silver.
    The floorboards are smeared with black undercoating, which looks like roof tar put on with a brush.
    Years ago I posted pictures of the chassis when this question was raised and Walter said the color was that grey.
    I don't remember if the floors are silver under the undercoating.
    This car was bought new to Arizona, and stayed in the dry desert of AZ and California all its life.so the undercoating would not have been applied later.
    Perhaps some did come with that grey color, but definitely not all of them.
    I have also spent time under an A6G2000 Zagato restored by Nino 20 years ago which was with similar colors to mine.

johnei likes this.