Maserati Bora - Picture Thread | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Maserati Bora - Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ron S, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I'm not sure if this is considered the main Bora thread, but the comment continues from posts #42 and #43 in the "other-cars" forum.

I can't tell from the picture if these are larger than 15" diameter wheels. If not, they could be original Campagnolo 40802 wheels or the group4wheels replkca PAG wheels available from 7-10" widths. Unfortunately, they're all 15" which does nothing to solve the tire problem. At least one of the Gr4 Boras used wheels similar to these at least part of the time, so there's a tenuous link to the Bora.

Wasn't Elliot going to post pictures of his 17" replica wheels?

2. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    17x8 BBS wheels r available 4 the Bora. These wheels r the sport mesh design and period correct as well.

Contact me off line if interested.

Ciao,
    George

3. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Sorry about not putting pictures up about the new custom wheels but I have been pushing hard to get my engine on the dyno before October 8th. They haven't been delivered yet but I am promised that they will be available by November. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anything until November anyway as I will be away from October 9th until the end of October in Europe. I promise to post pictures of them as soon as I get my feet back under me in November.

Elliot

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #504 71Satisfaction, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Modulo_B likes this.
  5. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  6. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    If you have a look at the photo gallery and at the paperwork there, you will notice some interesting facts. In the history, there is an owner given as "Giorolanengo Giovanni, Cuneo", but on the relating paperwork it becomes clear that he's actually called Giordanengo. And that's interesting, because Giovanni Giordanengo is a Cuneo based 'artigiano' renowned for his exacting replicas of competition and road going Ferraris and Alfa Romeos. It was he who was entrusted by Alfa Romeo with creating a sanction II series of the TZ2 much like Aston Martin did with their DB4 GT Zagato. Some of his replicas were also sold as originals, they are so good!

Then, the car is not soo original anymore, as it appears. Non-original paint/ color, interior now black, was delivered white.
    The car is supposed to have travelled only 17 500 kms. This really would have to be verified...

7. vignalespider

vignalespider Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    CH
    Then, the car is not soo original anymore, as it appears. Non-original paint/ color, interior now black, was delivered white. The car is supposed to have travelled only 17 500 kms. This really would have to be verified...[/QUOTE]

+1
    leaving aside all the "improvements" made by the previous owners: red carpets with logo(!), the absolute worst exterior mirrors I have ever seen (ruining the inside door panels, too), modern radio & stereo, speakers in door panels non original, horrible US side lights additions front and rear, modern stereo player in boot, seat pattern flat, etc.

And the car has not even been looked at closely ...

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe the logo is on a removable foot carpet but the red color seems wrong.

The color changes don't bother me as long as they're close to an original Maserati color scheme. Lots of cars get color changes without affecting the value. But this isn't destined to become a museum piece anyway at that price. The cost of "corrections" in color etc would make it unfeasible.

Yes the mirrors are wrong for an early car but then the late electric Vitaloni mirrors (also wrong) are even worse looking than these on the car so I guess it's all relative. But installing different mirrors on the car probably means repainting the doors - ugh. So two doors interior & exterior and few other items might run $10K - $15K.

I should really buy this car because if it is indeed the first production Bora then I'd have the bookends of production. What a curious collection that would make! ;)

9. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I am almost certain the side marker lights are from a Delorean. I measured and the trim width is the same on both cars. They are definitely a better fit with the design than the parts-bin rectangles Maserati had to use to meet US standards and if you want to get rid of them, you can just cover up the holes with new rubber trim. Giugiaro had a bigger budget for tooling when he did the Delorean and could integrate the marker lights and door handles into the trim strip.
    If this car was imported in '87, the owner would have had no choice but to Federalize it. It's no different elsewhere - those ugly little warts on the back are due to some country's bureaucratic requirements, probably Italy's.
    The mirrors are anachronistic, but it's interesting how closely the angles match the windshield rake on the Bora. They probably work better than the ever-droopy Vitalonis, too.

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    my feeling as well.

11. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    #512 mullin, Oct 19, 2014
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well at least there was one interesting car that showed up!
    It wasn't red either.

Get lots of questions?

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #514 thecarnut, Oct 19, 2014
    Modulo_B likes this.
  14. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Yes, many questions and a lot of compliments. I'm beginning to realize that most folks have never seen a Bora in the flesh. It's a lot of fun taking this car out and seeing how well it is received, but the ride to and fro is still my favorite part.

15. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Met him in boves de cuneo in 1979. He had nice cars from 1920-1930 then.

16. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    #517 mullin, Nov 9, 2014
    Modulo_B likes this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Magnifico!

18. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
  19. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    #520 am117au, Nov 13, 2014
    For those interested the picture shows a Bora with the dashboard removed. Today we also removed the windscreen which must be about 8 - 10 mm thick and needs a least 2 people to carry. Now i can get around to removing the stainless roof and A pillar covers.Work has been slow as my bodyshop has been very busy. Hoping with the slow down over the Christmas new year period that i get a reasonable amount of work done.
    Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Greg,

Very intersting, keep the progress photos coming

21. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Hi All.
    I am about to restore the magnesium wheels of my Bora. I have been advised that they are porous and not to sandblast them. Furthermore they are prone to water penetration which will eventually render them unroadworthy if they are mot sealed properly. Has anyone restored their mag and what process was followed? Is also noticed the wheel nuts are brass. Is this for a reason or can the be replaced with steel nuts?
    Greg

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You can blast them just fine but yes the magnesium needs to be properly treated. Handle them with clean gloves before they are treated and do it asap after blasting. It's called a conversion coating which you can accomplish yourself. Do some reasearch. Then use a zinc chromate primer to cover them well.

Here are some threads, I'm sure there are others.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/465815-powdercoated-rim-failure.html

I did one a few years ago about refinishing the wheels on my Espada. The Bora wheels are a better casting though one of mine did develop a slow leak. You can get them tested for structural integrity aka cracks. Good idea. But they can also have a natural porosity which can be dealt with. There are special impregnation treatments for this utilized on engine part castings (expensive). But if they have no structural issues, you do a good job preparing the wheels and you finish them with a thick coat of a good single stage enamel they won't leak.

My Espada wheels were quite a mess once they were blasted clean. You need to get to exposed, and clean metal in order to perform the conversion coating process. So you'll have to at least clean them up with blasting as a last stage.

Here's a link on the process but I can spot a few glaring errors right away so be careful where you read about this stuff. He's the only person I've ever heard of cautioning to NOT use a zinc chromate primer. It is harder to find these days. The conversion coating process is described on there. They were NOT painted this way (clear coats) originally either. Just an enamel.

Aluminum / Magnesium Wheel Restoration | Steve Kouracos

BTW, the earlier Boras had a polished lip (no finish) whereas the later ones were simply painted. It help up well with the guys I knew who had these cars.

Good luck.

23. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #524 Jalpa_Mike, Nov 18, 2014
  24. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Lucky man (or lady!!) that looks great - is that a reflection on the nose or some additional badge?

Cheers. Mark