Maserati Classiche and the Maserati Certification of Authenticity | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maserati Classiche and the Maserati Certification of Authenticity

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by P.Cappelle, Dec 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    old, new doesn’t matter it’s not even close. The USA is the largest market period end of sentence. The demographics were done as part of the Collector Car Trust publication, approximately 50% of the collectors were US based. The #1 marque owned was no surprise Ferrari with (from memory) at 80+% ownership. #2 was Alfa Romeo at something like 28%, close at #3 Maserati around 27% followed by Bugatti a percent or two behind then Porsche a few more behind Bugatti.

While the Chinese is the largest single new car market the vintage market is not there yet if it ever will happen. Watch New Alfa sales in China next year, you’ll probably see a record breaking year.

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    As I said before, to me certification makes sense for rare and unique cars where you need experts to determine its authenticity. When you get into production cars it is mostly a revenue avenue with questionable value.

For cars exported to the USA in the 1970's authenticity many times goes against the main purpose of owning a classic Maserati .... to drive it! I suspect there are very few USA Boras and Khamsins that still have their air pumps and thermal reactors ..... and for good reasons. My Ghibli spyder would fail miserably as it is missing its USA side markers, restrictive headers, bumper overriders, etc. I am content that my car could not be certified as I have no intention of returning it "as it left Maserati". The problem is that in the eyes of some collectors (usually the type that do not drive their cars) Certification becomes the difference between buying a car or not. Even worst, this could evolve to events that only cars that have been pre-certified can participate.

Ivan

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think it depends upon on how Maserati handles this. Perhaps if they came up with a grading system that put some alterations in perspective. Another thought is the concept of museum piece classification. Clearly no one is going to put the absurdly ill conceived emissions systems back on those cars. OTOH a change in intake manifolds and carburation for the early fuel injected cars might be a major problem since those systems have now been made more reliably functional whereas 30 years ago they were not. That's not a trivial thing to "correct". But things like plug wires, the presence of an aftermarket ignition system could be identified and given small deductions in points. Then if a buyer insists that it be that way he knows what needs to be changed.

Then there's also the issue of errors. I've seen concours judges take off marks for what they "know" is not original but in reality it is. Factories varied what was fitted at times. Does Maserati know all of these variations? I doubt it on the more minor issues such as rear view mirrors and lighting. There needs to be an appeals process I think.

Nembo1777 and AM101 like this.
  4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I totally agree with all here who are sceptical. Difficult to handle and I wonder how Maserati will solve that problem with the US-cars. Time will tell...

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,
    should Maserati get the certification to full order then I assume that the value of re-converted cars to EU-specs will loose value. That might be good for buyers...but not for sellers! The Ferrari market tell the story (like it or not!): try to sell a non-certified Daytona etc. and you`ll get less money than the confirmed car!
    And yes, we don`t mention here the Pebble-procedure...

6. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    On a side note, why did Ferrari never appear to fit US specific bumpers, if they did how do they handle it? I know Maserati, Lamborghini, De Tomaso and the like all fitted them.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Because the Ferrari BBs -for example- were never officially imported to the US. But interestingly the 308 was, which never had specific US-specifications fitted.
    Very interesting question!

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #58 wbaeumer, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Just contact one of the Ferrari chaps reg. their certification procedure.

The only Ferrari exported to the USA in the 1970s were the 308-series. The V12-cars were officially not homologated for the US-market.
    Ferrari had also add some crude US-specification components to the 308s. Many of these car had been re-converted to EU-specs in the last 20 years.
    Ferrari accept these re-conversion but write a note in the certification document.
    But also when certificated by Maranello, these US-Ferraris of that period have in Europe a lesser value than the EU-cars.

But the 308 were the bread-n´-butter cars for Ferrari and have not the same importance than their fabeled V12 cars. Furthermore the certification process for the 308s cost 6,000 Euros, little money for Maranello and therefore they are quite flexible to accept a not-so original 308...

Maserati will clearly have a look how Ferrari handles the certification and will establish a guideline for the US-Khamsin, Bora and Merak.

allandwf likes this.
  9. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Honestly, I find it hard to understand the stress here. A modified car is a modified car- it may be the case that there is a very good reason for the modification, but that isn't really the question. If you value 100% originality you do, if you don't- that is also a good position.

As an example- when i purchased my Mexico last year, and applied for the Maserati Classiche documents for my car- I was initially told it was not possible, as my car was converted to RHD. I made the case that all cars imported into Australia in the 70's/ 80's and even early 90's were subjected to strict rules which demanded an RHD conversion (this is not the case now). I was able to get the documents.

But- with the new process, my car would of course be not original. That is unavoidable- as almost zero Maserati GT's came to Australia in the period in RHD. That is ok by me- those cars cost 2-3x what mine did. I wouldn't pay that money to have one- but some people would. My car will always be a modified car. It looks the same, smells the same, sounds the same. If someone values the 100% correct documents for a comparable car at 3x the price- good luck to them. I have no issue at all.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh certainly, Maserati is well adjusted to doing what Ferrari wants.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And here is your answer. This is someone who influences people when buying.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    If you are talking about me - I never "influence" customers to buy a car I can offer or an owner asked me selling it.

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Wrong statement, sorry! Maserati will not do -anymore!- what Ferrari wants. But for sure they will look how Ferrari manage and operates their own certification program that became quite successful since started.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Come on Walter you do it every time you make your opinion known.

15. Oishi

Oishi Rookie

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ed
    A few thoughts.....
    Maserati's ability to issue certification for the older cars is based on the fact that Sig. Cozza saved as much documentation as he could from destruction by Citroen, and then DeTomasso. None of this would be possible without his foresight.
    The debate over modifications is for Maserati to decide, but to me, it's not a major issue either way.
    The best part of the whole program IMHO, is that Maserati says they will start producing parts again for the older cars! Porsche and MB have supported their classics, and it has helped the car's value.
    Ed.

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Bob...when it comes to my business then you are wrong!

17. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    3500 GT likes this.
  18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Interesting article posted on the Classiche Masters website, by Pedro Cappelle.

Thank you for posting it Pedro, the more information the better!

It says US Khamsins and Boras converted to EU specs are not eligible for certification...

Hmm.. interesting!!! I hope this will change in the future... Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see many
    cars being certified that reside in the US... And what about Ghibli's? Many have had their side reflectors removed, and stainless
    exhausts put on, is that considered a conversion, or just a few points taken off! I also wonder if this certification process will stem the
    tide of cars going to Europe! I am also sure some European Khamsin and Bora owners, who got thier cars from the US
    and converted them to EU specs, will not be happy!

Ultimately, a lot of questions still need to be answered! These are just some random thoughts on my part, and
    we will probably still need to wait and see how this all shakes out!

Mike

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Michael,

I am on the case, I am preparing a dossier for Maserati Classiche and Carlos Tavares (by email and certified letter) who is not only the President of Stellantis the new automotive group reuniting Peugeot Citroen with Fiat Alfa Maserati (among others) but also a vintage racer, owner of a restoration shop in Portugal (his native country) and very passionate. He recently had Khamsin AM120-202 of P.P. major event organiser in his shop. Of course Mr Tavares has a billion other more important things to worry about, yes, but a good President delegates to fully competent people only and gives his opinion when finesse is needed. He is an outstanding President.

As mentioned I recently did a census of US Khamsins in my files. Of 155 car built to US spec and sold almost entirely in the USA with small handful in Canada no less than SEVENTY are in Europe. This is data that no one else has and that was previously unknown.
    Obviously almost all of them converted to Euro specs.

Does Maserati want to consign them to oblivion? to punish their owners for having brought them back to Gandini's design?!

There is clearly a need for some judgment finesse here and adaptation to special cases and circumstances. We can't have blunt rules excluding almost 100 cars: I know of only thirty three cars remaining in the US and which have given signs of life via their owners in the last ten years (a vast proportion of US Khamsins have been converted as well).
    As Joe and Walter have alluded to, yes my intention is to point out -since Maserati Classiche has studied Ferrari Classiche even if both firms are now separate- the special Classiche certification category created at Ferrari for the Ferrari 250GT "Breadvan" on which I wrote the book in 2010. For it and others (such as for example my favorite Ferrari the one off 250GT Nembo Spyder chassis 1777GT made in period by Neri & Bonacini it was modified in period from standard but is known and of major historical interest so would qualify as well.

Well in the case of US Khamsins (and Boras) converted to Euro bumpers there is that legal jurisprudence as per the Breadvan: anyone who is not blind and ignorant can see how the US model was disastrously disfigured under duress by the US government so -1 Maserati should create a particular dispensation for converted cars stating that in view of this particularly harsh US market version disfiguration converted cars are NOT banned from certification. -2 Legal disclaimer; the owner of the car being considered for certification accepts that the car is no longer to US standards of that era and that certification is only given with the caveat that the owner takes full responsibilty for said conversion. The key positive here is that a converted US Khamsin is no less safe than a Euro car.

Voila.

Once I get an answer I will post it here.

That will be my first go at it. we will see if I need a second go.

MrMark, 3500 GT, red27 and 1 other person like this.
  20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    But the Breadvan is a more historic important car than a Khamsin. I always loved the K. and had owned one by myself. The conversion of the SWB to the Breadvan specs was made in period! You can not say that about the K.`s which were converted in the last -lets say and be generous- 15 years...

Nice idea about writing a letter to Carlos Tavares - but I think its a little over-acting...
    I believe its worth to talk to Fabio first and wait for his response....

21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #71 3500 GT, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pedro, thank you very much for these informations and links to Maserati Classiche Program. I do appreciate your reaching out to the Maserati community,…Grazzie!

I’m glad Maserati is doing this, and more importantly they have announced they will be making/supplying spare parts for classic Maserati cars. That’s only good news.

Not to take away any points made with the Khamsin US spec. VS European bumper argument, but please consider this.

One small point I would like people and Maserati to consider is that they might not know everything, they claim to know.

For example, here is what Maserati Classiche dictates about cars fitted with a modern “bright or Stainless Steel exhaust system; FROM MASERATI;

• Classic Maseratis with an after-market stainless steel exhaust will only be eligible for certification if the exhaust is painted in black. Obviously, this does exclude the chrome tips. Points will likely be deducted if a car has an inox / stainless steel exhaust, even if it's painted black.

We all know a Stainless Steel exhaust system is not correct, but will be acceptable if it is painted black??

My research has concluded that the 3500 GT and many other significant Maserati automobiles,…DID NOT have BLACK exhaust system as supplied from Maserati.

Maybe some did, but all factory photos show the opposite; “bright or mill finishes on the exhaust”.

I have argued this point at Concorso and with “experts”. I feel that most people just assume “black” would be correct, because, “it’s Italian” but to the contrary, as the photos in period clearly show, the exhaust systems were delivered as “bright” or “mill finished” on the 3500 GT and other cars.

Maybe this is a small point to some, but I don’t think it is a small point. It does matter.

Either it’s correct, or it is not.

If Maserati is going to lay down standards for their automobiles, they should at least be correct! I want my car to be correct, so I’m going with what the period photos clearly show, “bright/mill finish” exhaust systems.

Yes???

The original factory photographs clearly show “bright or mill finished” exhaust system on factory cars. So what’s correct?

Let’s get it right because my glass is half full!!!

Nembo1777 and P.Cappelle like this.
  22. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle

Thank you for your feedback.
    I believe the black relates to e.g. the exhausts on the V8 Ghiblis.

3500 GT likes this.
  23. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #73 3500 GT, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Thank you Pedro, but the Maserati website says, “….classic Maseratis“ regarding black exhaust, which would mean all classic Maserati, 1946-1982? No? Not just one model.

If they mean only one type of Maserati classic car, they should say so, Maserati should be more specific, as it’s their company, but it’s our community.

Kind regards.

24. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle

Ciao,

the article is on the Classiche Masters website which is an independent project, grouping 12 workshops specialized in classic Maseratis and promoting the models the heritage, etc... That said, there is a tight working relationship between the project and people at the factory.

I manage that website, and I apologize if sentences are creating a level of confusion.
    I have updated the information to reflect that it is about e.g. the Ghiblis. I agree with you that earlier cars have other exhausts. And also we mustn't forget the aftermarket ANSA exhausts which according to Dottore Adolfo Orsi were not installed by Maserati when a car was finished. That is simply because, within the Maserati Group, there was a factory producing exhausts for various cars, not only Maseratis.

https://www.classichemasters.com/news/maserati-classiche-certification-programme

Kind regards to you too.

3500 GT likes this.
  25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #75 Nembo1777, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Walter thank you for your post. Yes of course The Breadvan is unique and famous whereas Khamsins are production cars with no racing history but a principle that applies to a one off can apply to a series of cars modified under duress by a US government that was overbearing in its mandates and very clumsy (for example they first forbade the space saver tires on Meraks so some US Meraks ended up with hunchback of Notre Dame bumps in the rear to make room for a full size wheel...then they changed their minds so the space saver tire was allowed after all, hence no more bumps)...meanwhile the Khamsin was allowed the space saver tire from beginning to end of production; completely erratic logic but bureaucrats are the same everywhere.

As to when conversions were done...apples and oranges; in this case it is not about historical perspective but about bringing BACK to original design so when a conversion was done is not relevant unlike for the Breadvan which was converted to its unique body with lowered and pushed back engine positioning when it was less than two years old. the Breadvan's history was written 99% after those modifications.

Regarding Mr Tavares this is a point that requires the right perspective and a bespoke adjustment of Classiche rules; a special case, so it is warranted.
    Fabio does a brilliant job and is one of my favorite people but it is not his decision to make unfortunately.