Maserati depreciation | FerrariChat

Maserati depreciation

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by judge4re, Dec 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Any idea on what a 2002/2003 Maser Coupe will be worth around the second quarter of 2006? How about the Quattroporte?

2. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Wow, you don't ask much...I'm hoping to make it to the first quarter of '05...2006 is a pipedream.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I move back to the USA then. Wife said no more cars until we move home. :(

4. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    based on the fact that the new car will be out by then I would think $40-45K. ouch

5. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree

6. '77 308GTB

'77 308GTB Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    TD
    Those numbers are certainly possible for the Spyder/Coupe, but man what a deal! Maybe I'll buy another one. I'm hoping that the Maserati image and re-sale value will improve over time, with Ferrari's help of course. Who knows for the Quattroporte, as a percentage, I'm certain the depreciation will be less that the Spyder/Coupe has been.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I disagree. As with all four door cars, like Ferrari four seater cars, I suspect the QP depreciation will be far greater than the Coupe' and Spider once the QP is out a couple of years.

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Around 35 to 40k for a coupe. By then the 02's will have no factory warranty left. MY 2002's are going for 50ish now.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Coupes are deceptive because all you had to do was ask to get one at dealer invoice. So is your point of beginning MSRP or invoice? My guess is that you will be able to find all you want for under $50k, headed towards $40k.

The QP is a hot seller, but it will depreciate just like any other car IHO. I'm guessing that it will drop 35% to 40% of MSRP within 3 years.

Dale

10. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Erik,

At $40-50K the Spyder will be a great bargain. Wonderful car - feel free to stop by Ohio on your way home to toss one about!

Ours is a great deal of fun, even if it is one of the 'flawed' 2002 models. ;)

Brad

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What are the coupes selling at right now?

12. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Biggest questions I had before ordering my Spyder last fall was the anticipated heavy depreciation and quality issues, But after being given a decent discount I went ahead and ordered. The quality issue turned out to be false as I have not been back to dealership yet and have had absolutely zero problems in the 8 months I have driven. I cannot say the same about my past two cars, Boxster S and M3. I have never had so much fun with a car so who cares about Maserati deprecation, I have Maserati appreciation

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    That is probably the best Maserati line I have heard since Joe Walsh sang about doing 185:)!!!

14. '77 308GTB

'77 308GTB Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    TD
    I love it! I have serious Maserati appreciation also. Enough with these sissy complaints about rear seats, and value. These cars have class! Something a lot of these less depreciating, big back seat cars don't have.

15. samuel_1

samuel_1 Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Eagle Glen - So. Cor
    Full Name:
    Samuel Worthington
    I just checked the latest dealer auction report and the 2002 Coupes sold between $43,000 (18K miles) and $54,000 (5K miles). I would guess that in 2006, wholesale would be in the $35K-$39k range for a 2002 Coupe. I doubt it would go much lower than that.

16. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i dont like to see the depreciation in the coupe/spyder, but certainly these cars are a very good deal.

17. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I now have Maserati depression but only because today was my last day driving into work and I just tucked it into it's cover for it's winter nap. Living in New England and being able to drive on Dec 17 with top still down I think I got a pretty good season which started April 1st the day I picked up. I spent last winter worrying if I had made a mistake ordering my car as my original plan was to look for a few year old Ferrari Spider.but I could not resist being able to get a brand new car that would have more power, all the latest high tech stuff like Skyhook, Nav and an interior that blew away any older Ferrari. Then had them throw on a Tubi and for about $90,000 I had a true exotic that was special to drive everyday. Is funny how you read so much negativity about the new Maserati's but not from owners of them. Between this site and the Maserati forum site, I read almost all positive experiences with their cars. Still seems like Maserati is a big secret to most but if more people would give one a chance I think Maserati could catch on big here. I plan on being first in line when the next generation Spyder comes out in 2006

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Scott61, that's because owners don't want to admit that they are $40k upside down in their less than two year old car. And,Samuel_1, don't be so sure that the cars will bottom out in the $30k range. I remember when the $50k+ Bi-turbos went to $5k in 5 years! FAF had new ones on the show room that they hadn't sold that they were selling for less than $20k just to get them out of their inventory.

19. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    In the last few weeks I've seen two '04 Spyders with @ 1K miles for sale. Asking prices were in the $73k-$75k range on cars that listed for $98k-$100k. Both had manual transmissions. That's some heavy duty depreciation! But what a deal for the second owner. The warranty is still in place, and much of the financial worry is gone. Just head for the hills and enjoy the ride.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're exactly right, Bill. Ferrari/FNA screwed up the Maserati rollout horribly. The bottom line is that the cars were overpriced by $20k. But now that the market has spoken and the adjustment has been made, these are serioursly good cars.

Dale

21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Cannot go by list, I paid $87,000 for my fully loaded GT Spyder. So I figure when I sell end of next fall with less than 5,000 miles, my car should be worth somewhere in the mid 60's. 25 grand to drive this car for two years will be well worth it to me.

22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I think your $20k figure is to high about half that maybe. Before ordering my Spyder I put together an order for a 911 and to get that car close to what I could get with the Maserati, prices became very close. I see no reason why Maserati should be priced any cheaper than a 911

23. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

To paraphrase the Chevy Truck ads: LIKE A ROCK

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Remember, Ferrari was re-introducing the brand in the U.S. Porsche has been here since forever and has never left. What they should have done is to use the old pusher trick. The first bite is cheap. Once you're hooked, I own you.

Dale

25. samuel_1

samuel_1 Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Eagle Glen - So. Cor
    Full Name:
    Samuel Worthington
    I agree completely that these are great second owner cars. I love the Maserati. I will probably pick up a coupe for my daily driver sometime next summer and wait another year or two, to look for a used GranSport. I've driven the Maseratis many times in traffic and on long trips. It's a great car.