Maserati depreciation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati depreciation

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by judge4re, Dec 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    The maserati is a stunning car...great to be the first owner if finances allow...

If not....a clean preowned example sounds like a great choice too...

As any exotic the depreciation can be considerable...but for those that don't mind....The buyer of the preowned example can enjoy something very special for quite a few dollars less...

Ebay seems to have quite a few Maseratis available and the pricing can be used as a decent guide of what the market today is doing...

2. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I think that a new Maserati Coupe/Spyder/GranSport is priced a little on the low side.

For approx $90-$110K, you get a car with an amazing engine (a derivative of which is in the new Ferrari F430), 4 seats (except Spyder), a gorgeous exterior, a fantastically finished interior with butter soft leather everywhere.

The Maserati has stupendous midrange acceleration, similar to that of a V12 Ferrari 456, and only a tick slower than a 550. It handles well too - on most race tracks, it is about as quick as a 355 or 550, and faster than a 456.

The discounting and depreciation is explained by a few simple factors
    - oversupply, too many cars available and allocated to dealers
    - unknown brand name, luxury items need a brand name
    - zero existing customer base (no sales via customers upgrading from old model to new model)

In many ways, the Maserati Coupe is a junior Ferrari GT. If they did nothing to the car, except slapped Ferrari badges on, Ferrari would be able to sell the car for $150K, and simultaneously be able to reduce the warranty from 4 to 3 years!

In terms of panache, performance, market positioning, etc, the car is above a Jaguar/Porsche 911 and below the Aston DB9. Priced accordingly, $125K for a new Maserati Coupe seems right. And that will be the likely price of the 2006 model.

The only car that would tempt me away from mine would be a Ferrari 612, if I was ready to spend $250K on a car. The Maserati Coupe is a great deal at new prices, and a fantastic deal at used prices.

If you want a new car, forget depreciation, you just won’t find a better car for the money.

If you are concerned about depreciation, just get a used Maserati and save a bundle!

- Jon

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I think you're totally spot on regarding the discounting and depreciation.

How does badging the car a Ferrari solve the above set of problems? It won't and there will be even more sitting in the showrooms. Why do I say that? You can get a couple year old 360 for the same cost as a rebadged Maserati at the price levels your discussing. And the 360 is that much more car than the Maserati.

SL55 AMG. Lots of new ones on E-bay for $130k.

If you want a car to bloody the Maser's nose at used prices, pick up an XKR for $45-50k and put $15k-20k in modifications from Paramount Performance. Case closed.

Sunny

*edit* P.S. the exterior of the XKR makes the Maser look dumpy and less aggressive. Interior the Maser wins for sure, but worth the extra price tag compared to the other two choices I presented? Nah.

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    3.5 months ago, I got my 2002 coupe with 3600 mile, 6 speed, and all the options for $54K. 2 years of warranty left and 390 hp, and my wife thinks it is a family car on account of the rear seats.

5. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Luke, where did you get your Coupe? I'm in the market for one as well - definitely 6-speed. $54K seems like a no-brainer...

6. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I know of a silver/bourdeaux cc coupe with 14K on the clock....for $55K. PM me for the contact phone number if that sounds copasetic.

7. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Luke, Thanks! Love the color combo, but am looking for a 6-speed.

Like the way the cc drives, just afraid of $$$ repairs down the road - after the warranty is gone.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
  9. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    XKR better than Maserati, dumpy. You are kidding right? Go and stare at and drive a GranSport and report back please. And whilst you're at it please try and put 2 humans in the rear of a XK(8|R) and see what they think...

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so for essentially the same money, would you get a used gransport or a 456m?

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    456 in a heartbeat!

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    95 456s were 20K more than the 02 Masers, and no warranty, and $ belts, and.........

13. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Or a heartattack the first time something breaks!

:) :)

- Jon

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i saw a few '98 and younger 456m's in the last dupont registries that were around $90k. seems to me that is about what a used gransport is or will be shortly....yes belts etc are an issue, but as was said earlier in this thread, the badge is worth about $50k.....

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    People might pay that $50k for the badge but is it really worth it? I was sucked into that thinking of "I want a Ferrari" but I did not want to spend all that money and wait time for a new 360 Spider and after checking out older Spiders I realized that badge is just not worth $50k, Not with considering what I could get with a brand new Spyder

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My mechanic has talked me into looking at a very well sorted (read rebuilt properly) Biturbo when I put the cars back in storage. Asking $6500. Hopefully the new ones will hold their value better...

17. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
  18. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
  19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #44 JaguarXJ6, Dec 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We're not talking about a GranSport but a Maserati Coupe on a budget and I'm talking about the exterior asthetics by comparison. No one questions the interiors are more sporty and more pleasing on the Maserati.

I think its you who needs to review the thread again and see some pics side by side. Like I said, dumpy, by comparison.

There's not much room in the back for 2 in either car and they aren't designed to be 2+2's. If you need to buy a sports coupe that seats four you buy an M3.

Thank you for playing and welcome to F-chat. :D

Sunny
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

hmmmm....... take the maserati anyday over the jag. the maser is made to be driven the jag is good to be chauffered in. no comparisons in driving pleasure and the maserati arguably makes more of an impact.

21. McNab

McNab Rookie

Dec 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian Stewart
    Good to see someone standing up for Jaguar, but the Maserati has a purposeful economy in its styling - less overhang and slightly narrower. Better handling for twisty Scottish roads too!

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #47 JaguarXJ6, Dec 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin

What is the problem with the 2002's?????

24. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    maser.s are good lease candidates due to deprec... just walk away....

Qp deprec is unknown, today they're 20-25 over in LA new.

Chase uses 41 as a 4 year residual at 15k miles/year which should cover their ass.

25. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    Yes, what is it about the 2002, something about the ECUs?