Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 103 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Here are some images.
    You will recognise most of them as they are either period Maserati Brochure shots or the Citroen Maserati edition speciale brochure which I think was from 1968.
    The sharpest corner on any of them by far appears to be on the spider. I'd argue that many of the rest show a softer treatment.
    I believe each car could be slightly different depending on who was making them. Just my theory at the moment...

Julian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

A few more, and they do seem to vary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

4. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I first noticed that these were different on a Maserati Owners Club of Australia run when these two red Ghibli's were quite different.
    My car was from California and has survived in original condition until 2013 when I started restoring it. Even the sills were original although these had crude patches welded over them in places. But the metalwork was still all there and this is why I think the soft front corner is definitely as valid as the sharper version!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Julian,
    to see the sharp line on photos of both top front fenders is almost impossble. As an ex-professional photographer I can assure that on photos of the same car this edge appears differently depending on the angle, position of the sun, reflections etc.!

I saw around 15 Ghibli in unrestored condition. Some of them in very bad condition, still with their original paint. You could clearly see with all of them that the earlier cars had the sharpest lines while the later or very late ones came more round.

7. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Tools do not degrade that fast. Tooling to produce only 1300 cars does not change in shape by 10mm
    Hi Walter, there's plenty of 1972 cars in the Registry including the Neil Peart silver surfer Ghibli that was at Gooding and Co with the sharp corner and I know of unrestored Ghiblis here like this ex David Zeunert blue car with the rounded edge seen here. David's current Ghibli [ in red ] has the sharp corner and is from 1968 and is sat right behind his old blue car.
    I also had a look at Ivans site and he shows this 1972 Ghibli SS which clearly has the sharp corner still. [ Serial number: AM115/49 2036,18,900 miles, one owner since new, I purchased this Ghibli from the original owner, who personally picked up the car at the factory. This was my first experience getting a car for which the owner could honestly say they knew the history of the car from day one. The title is still in the original owner's name (in Georgia you do not need transfer title to register a car this old) "

So, I'm not 100% convinced of your theory yet!

Julian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well - who can confirm, that the coachwork of a late Ghibli had been produced much earlier than the VIN suggest?

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I spoke with Stephen James a PO of that car as well as the shop that did that. He drove them nuts with all the things he wanted done but never seemed to have the money to pay the bill.
    Remember his yellow Bora that had the battery compartment removed for better legroom. His wife, Allison, had long legs ...

10. PeterJG

PeterJG Rookie

Dec 2, 2021
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Peter J Goldreich
    JulianMerak likes this.
  11. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Attached Files:

• 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
    MK1044 and khamsin433 like this.
  12. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Looking amazing Julian! You’ve done a super job. I’m sure you’ll sort those snags in no time.

All the best.

mark.

JulianMerak likes this.
  13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Looking really good Julian !!!!!

Mike

JulianMerak likes this.
  14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    My ..... that thing is pretty !!!

Ivan

JulianMerak likes this.
  15. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Thanks guys!

I’m still adjusting the headlamp bumpstops to get the covers sitting flusher

Attached Files:

• 61.jpg
      61.jpg
      File size:
      159.7 KB
      Views:
    • 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      151.2 KB
      Views:
    MK1044 and wbaeumer like this.
  16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello All...

Today, I received some factory documents for my 1972 Ghibli SS (build date is late 1971)... I am somewhat interested
    in what the documents state regarding the radio.. They specify a Blaupunkt Frankfurt, but also indicate a tape player (see
    attached picture).

My car was perhaps originally destined for California, per one of the documents, but was ultimately changed to New York
    (Grossman Motors), per another document... The Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio came in two flavors, one for Europe and one
    for the USA, from what I have found so far. I believe the difference in these two flavors has to do with the FM bands..

So the questions is now, would my car have come with USA version (probably), but not sure about the tape player. This
    could be a complete mistake, but could also indicate a cassette or 8-track player.

If possible, does anyone have picture they can post of their original Blaupunkt Frankfurt Radio from a Ghibli SS or other
    1971/1972 Maserati?

Thanks...

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Mike I had a late Ghibli SS #2498 that had a 8 track Cassette player. It was mounted between the seats just behind the front seats. If you need it I will try to find a picture

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Gene...

Hope all is well !!! If it is not too much trouble, yes, please post a picture...
    Do you think it was factory, dealer, or prior owner installed?

Thanks...

Mike

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It’s been 9 years it could very well have been, it was a coded radio.

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This is a Frankfurt from a 1971 Mercedes

Ivan

24. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Ivan...

Yes, I have seen many Blaupunkt Frankfurt radios like the one you show.. But, back in the 70's
    Blaupunkt offered another Frankfurt radio that showed AM/FM buttons, probably for the US market. I think
    I mentioned there might be a difference in FM bands between the US and Europe.. In 1972 I wonder if
    they might have put the US version in my car.. I also wonder what the two numbers represent in your second picture.
    Perhaps one of those two numbers could mean something.. I will have to do some research!

But, thank you for posting the pictures. I may ultimately have to get such a radio... The tape player reference in
    the documentation I received is interesting and I would like to know more what that means and how they implemented it
    in the car...

Mike