Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 109 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    See next page for the other picture

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I think that switch is a USA only thing for later cars. It is not listed on the parts manual nor the USA supplement. If I recall the switch is triggered when there is an imbalance between the front and rear brakes. In all my years working on these cars I've never had to work on one of these switches. What was the manufacture date of your car? USA or Euro model? I looked at a 1970 USA and Euro Ghibli and the Euro car did not have this switch.
    If you bleed the brakes and fluid flows freely out of all four corners I would disconnect it and not worry about it. You can also look at USA Alfas and Fiats of that era as they may have used the same switch.

BTW: the yellow warning light that you have labeled as HVAC fan is in reality the heated rear window. The fan warning light is located in the speedometer and labeled "defroster".

Ivan

3. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    This video shows what I'm looking for

4. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    My car ( chassis number AM115/49 1550) was originally a US spec car that was shipped to Michigan in December 1970. I don't have the date of manufacture.

5. GrifoS2

GrifoS2 Rookie

May 20, 2007
    Now I got it...

I found similar part, it is Girling brake failure switch, mine is missing switch too.
    There are some for sale, Moss one is cheapest to test.

https://mossmotors.com/181-955-pressure-failure-switch

NOS complete unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165867971329?hash=item269e806301:g:jN0AAOSw7z9iCRB1

More information.

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/spitfire-and-gt6-forum.8/pressure-differential-warning-actuator.1728112/

Here is said that switch is normally closed (wire damage will make light on too), if that is case, then switch can't be connected directly to the light, or it is always on.
    Did you test if switch works? Problem might be inside unit, then someone has connected pins together to get light off?

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-midget-forum.3/brake-pressure-failure-switch.2270333/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    A friend of mine in the Uk found the above image.

7. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    My pressure warning switch looks exactly the same as in the image from friend from the UK found. Time to remove the entire unit on my car and do some testing.

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello bobj123...

I have this exact same brake pressure unit on my 72 Ghibli SS.. I am also now wondering whether to bypass
    it, or look to rebuild it somehow!! I have a couple of pictures of this unit as installed in my car prior to
    taking it out.. If these would be of any help, please let me know! Also, please keep us in the loop on what
    you find and how you proceed!

Mike

9. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    My pressure differential valve is a Girling 64677256. I've decided to replace it. I'm not going to mess around with anything that relates to braking safety.

10. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    I bought the NOS unit that was on ebay. Thanks for the link.

11. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    ^^^^ did you want this in the Pantera appreciation thread??
    Daft price IMHO. get a Grifo S2 and have $100k left over. Simples.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    A dealer from the East Coast of the USA contacted me a while ago about this car.
    I inspected the car when it was in an Artcurial-auction in Paris 2015 and found the VIN stamping not as being correct. In my records, I have photos of the VIN-stamping of the car in Paris and of the real thing.

And now - back to the laywers: may the Show begin....

Ferraripilot likes this.
  13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I was contacted last year about this car and also concluded it was a fake. Since I was not with the car I asked for photos of various body and trim stampings and none matched what is expected from the rear spyder. Most likely a cut coupe with a genuine spyder engine.

Last year I was deposed on a legal case involving another fake Ghibli spyder. I inspected that car 10 years ago and wrote a detailed report. Even after I pointed out that it was clearly not a real spyder it was passed along by a dealer to an innocent victim as the real thing. That particular car was a really bad fake made out of several Ghibli coupes. There was not a ounce of real Ghibli spyder DNA in that car. The dealer's defense at one time mentioned using Walter as an expert witness. I was laughing inside because I knew if they went down that path it would take Walter 15 seconds to come to the same conclusion I did and it definitely would have not gone well for them. The case was settled out of court.

Some years ago I bought a cut coupe that had a spyder engine. It turns out I know the owner of the spyder and was able to reunite that engine to its chassis. Sometimes these situations have a happy ending.

Ivan

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I was in Paris at hat auction and recall Matthieu Lamoure, head of Artcurial, asking me whether I knew the history of Ghibli Spyders and that car in particular. I said no and a few hours later it was pulled...

15. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    wbaeumer, thecarnut and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    there aren’t many cars prettier than a Ghibli Spyder in Giallo with Borrani wires.

Nembo1777 likes this.