Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 86 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I have heard from an observer that this car will need a restoration so perhaps the final price reflects that. It certainly looks like a great buy from the Bonhams images on their website though

Julian

2. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    +1

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #2129 thecarnut, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    Beautiful color and beautiful job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I like the before AND after! I wish I still had my Ghibli, but it was time to move on... still...

6. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Fantastic release !

Ivan, do you know where did they fit the push button for the fog or additional lights ? And which model was it ?

Thx.

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #2133 thecarnut, May 27, 2017
    My car left the factory with fog lights (they are listed in the birth certificate). The lights are Carello JOD PF. I did not find any numbers on the lens.

The switch which on a coupe is used for the heated rear window was re-purposed to turn on/off the fog lights. On a coupe they probably would have added an extra switch.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. lineaTesoro

lineaTesoro Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Omar Fernandez
    Love the color! I'm doing something similar on my 3500gti

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #2135 Portenos, May 28, 2017
    Ivan,
    I love the leather and carpet color you choose for your Spyder.
    Very handsome.
    I call it "Cognac" or PAC 1386.
    It is the same color my Vignale came from the factory with and is now fitted with.
    Ciao,
    FGM

10. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I think its beautiful too....

I'd love to upgrade mine too but it will have to stay black for now

Julian

11. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Thx Ivan !

No luck you have a Spider !!! And it's quite logical in your case.

On mine, there were Ducellier.

but as it was heavy modified y its 2nd Owner, I have no clue of where the original switch for these additional (no fog) was...

12. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Greetings fellow Ghibli enthusiasts. I am new to this forum and am seeking your advice about parts sources for this wonderful car. I have a 1970 Ghibli 4.7 coupe US version that I have been enjoying for the past 5 years. It has been serviced but is as far as I know unrestored and I would now like to address a couple of small details; 1) The car has a jack and bag but no tools or tool bag. I have seen a number of reproductions advertised by MIE, Candini, etc and on ebay. They do not appear to me to be completely authentic when I compare them to the photos of original tool kits that are on Ivan's terrifically informative website. Does anyone know of an original tool kit available for sale? I have been looking on ebay for years and have not seen one. If not, can someone please advise me as to which reproduction kit is the most authentic? 2) My car has the US version large diameter plain padded horn button. Is it possible to replace this with the european version large diameter horn button that contains the Maserati logo without making any irreversible changes to the steering wheel? If so, can someone please advise me as to where I could find an original horn button or an authentic reproduction? 3) I have seen mention of obtaining copies of original build sheets or "birth certificates" from Maserati. Can someone please explain to me the details of how to obtain this? I asked my guide when I was at the Maserati factory tour last year and they said that they were no longer doing that. Is that correct? Thanks for your advice, Walt

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Frank,

Thank you for introducing me to Maieli as a source for PAC 1386!

I do not know if you noticed but this leather is actually two tone. The lower valleys are in a deeper color which makes the grain stand out more. Take a close look at your leather and you will see what I mean.

One thing I really like is the leather sheen. Too many times I see new interiors with dull leather. Seems a lot of the new leathers lack the sheen of the originals.

I met Jonathan Connolly at Amelia Island earlier this year who was very nice in providing some history on Connolly and Maserati. As it turns out PAC (which stands for Printed and Crushed) was an exclusive line of grain/colors Connolly did for Maserati. Ferrari and others mostly used leathers with a natural grain; but by Maserati going with PAC it permitted consistency in the grain pattern at a lower cost.

Ivan

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #2140 thecarnut, May 29, 2017
    Hi Walt,

Welcome to the forum!

In 1970 Maserati had to install the padded horn button to meet USA regulations. This is suppose to protect you in case of an accident (yeah right!). The first iteration was simply a black pad with no logo (see photo below). I assume this is what you have, which I must admit is rather ugly. Later in 1970 the center pad was modified to include the Maserati logo. This same pad was then used in the Indy, Bora, Khamsin and Merak SS .... therefore it is not a rare item. To change to the logoed pad you will also need to replaced your current metal ring (that holds the pad) to the plastic one. MIE carries the plastic rings and they probably also have the logoed pad.

Contact Fabio Collina at the factory ([email protected]) for copies of the original documentation. They charge for this service but it is well worth it. You should tell him what the factory tour guide said so he can "shape them up".

I should be able to help you with the tool kit, contact me at [email protected]

Ivan

15. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    This car has no SS features with the exception of the badge.

16. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

The factory would build cars with the SS engine to order with cars like AM115.088 being the first to receive the option according to the Factory records even as far back as 1967

Julian

17. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    There is a lot more to an SS than the engine.

18. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#2144 JulianMerak, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    I have read this small excerpt from an article on the Ghibli features and development on Ivans Website which suggests that there might not be that large a difference, what do you think is altered on an SS?

"Most people looking for a Ghibli know that there were “SS” and “non-SS” models.
    So what exactly is a SS model? The SS-designation was used primarily as a marketing
    tool (aka: gimmick) to boost sales of the Ghibli as it was in its 3rd year of production.
    It was used on cars that were equipped with the 4.9 liter engine versus the
    4.7 liter. There were NO other differences. I repeat … no differences in brakes, suspension,
    body construction steering, and interior … just the engine displacement.
    Having said this, most SS cars were built towards the end of the Ghibli production
    and therefore generally have features and options associated with the late production
    cars. In general a late model Ghibli is considered more desirable as it incorporates
    improvements that are explained below.
    Special thank for his valuable input goes to Bart van der Weiden.
    Ivan Ruiz / Peter Straub, January 2011"

Julian

19. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    What else ?

Considering that the 1st SS had no specific badges.

20. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    #2146 Candide, Jun 1, 2017
  21. vlasic ludovic

vlasic ludovic Karting

Apr 13, 2015
    Nice France
    Full Name:
    Vlasic ludovic
    14 mm european

22. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    There's no room for on the rear part.

Too close of the edge as you can see.

23. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Ivan, Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did contact MIE about the horn pad and they do not carry it. They only have the smaller diameter ones for pre-70 Ghiblis. So, if anyone on this forum has any suggestions about where to find the appropriate large diameter horn pad with the Maserati logo on it I would appreciate hearing from you. I also contacted Fabio at your suggestion who has been most helpful. It took me a while to uncover the serial number stamped on the left front frame since it was covered by 47 years worth of grease, oil and dirt! Happily, all numbers match and I have ordered all of the documents from Fabio. Thanks again for your help, Walt

24. Heldenzeit

Heldenzeit Rookie

Aug 18, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Maxwell
    Anyone with a 4.7 liter car able to measure the outer diameter of the chrome exhaust tips? We believe the car we are restoring has the wrong diameter installed.

Thank you!