News

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut Formula 3

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Interesting that it has several of the early features such as the sharp corner headlight buckets, early style dash and knock-of spinners; yet it has what appears to be a late style engine. There is no mention of it being "matching numbers" therefore the engine might not be the original. The octagonal spinners and the VIN number would lend me to believe that this is actually a 1968 model and not a 1967.

Ivan

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Ivan... I agree, there are some anomalies... Although the air filter cover looks like it would be an early style,
    similar to my Mexico.. I did note it does have the secondary fuse box (for 4 fuses), but it looks to have two newer style relays which would
    not have been present in 1967.. Plus, although hard to tell, it appears to have puller fans, not pusher fans which it
    probably should have if it was truly an earlier car..

Mike

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi everyone. My car 115*274 was delivered on 22/3/1968 and so as you suggest Ivan, I think 115*754 cannot really be from 1967, even allowing for the vagaries of Maserati/Ghia production numbering. It would be fascinating to see the classiche documents for this one.
    Incidentally any idea if Ghibli coupes need chassis modification to accommodate the ZF manual gearbox? Or just spyders? I know you said it is rather an involved operation on the latter Ivan.

Best wishes and good health to all.
    Mark.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Check and compare the "Carrozzeria"-no. on the plate in the engine bay of your and the other Ghibli. That no.`s can be an indication....

MK1044 likes this.
  5. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    The trunk lid suggests it's not a 67.

MK1044 likes this.
  6. thecarnut

thecarnut Formula 3

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The automatic tranny is wider and therefore the chassis opening for the gearbox is wider. You would need to weld in and drill new gearbox mounting points and and adapt or fabricate a transmission mount bracket as the one used on the manual tranny cars is not long enough. I had a spare mounting bracket from a Sebring (I think) that I was able to adapt.

Ivan

7. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Looking closely at this white Ghibli, it appears to have many rust issues. The wheel arches look as if they have been worked on because they are obviously not fair, and have been covered with a stainless trim piece. The package tray is rusty and the A pillar on the driver's side looks very funky. The passenger door has been repainted as was a portion of the bottom rear front fender next to the door where rust is common. I'm on the hunt for a driver in good condition, auto is fine with me, but this would be a money pit.

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009