Maserati Gran Sport or M6? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Maserati Gran Sport or M6?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by F430SPIDERNJ, Feb 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I havn't driven the M6, but I have driven an '06 GranSport.

I would get the Maserati. But I'm biased towards the Italians.

2. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    #127 mal, May 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There must be something in Dino owners wanting the GS, whichever side of the atlantic you are on!. I have a Dino and two months ago took delivery of a Gransport as my daily driver - so far the experience is everything I wanted it to be.

All these arguments about speed, racing will it beat an M3 - blah blah blah, I really couldnt give a damn it is the whole experience I get from it that matters and that is why I wouldnt even consider an M6 as an alternative - it just doesnt float my boat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    M6 gets my vote!!!

4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    erm..
    what about neither.. M5 for me please..
    HEHEH

5. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    FYI, EVO magazine in the UK can lap their test track quicker in the QP than in the M5. As for which one has more style, sophistication and presence, lets not go there.

Out of interest, the price of the M6 in the UK is £80k (150k USD) vs £66k (120k USD) for the GS.

6. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Yes, and in 5 years time pimped-out M5s and M6s with after-market wheels and big-bore exhausts will be seen in shady south London dealers for £20K. I bet you this won't happen to the GS.

On the long term it is a verified fact that big bimmers (but also big audis, big mercs...) are the biggest money losers you can get (and I love BMW, but facts are facts).

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You're right, it will only take 3 years for the GS to drop that low...FYI, I recently sold my 2000 e39 M5 with 117k+ miles for $28,000 and it only cost $69k new in 2000...M cars tend to hold their value much better than other German sedans...

8. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Not here in the UK, Maserati hold their value much better than a BMW or Merc(excluding the SL). Infact, have BMW ever made a classic car? GS's are holding well here in the UK, you still can't find a car under £52k.

You can browse here at various models, this site is the main UK site/magazine for 2nd hand sales.

www.autotrader.co.uk

(you'll need a post code, try NW10 6ST)

Compare 3200 vs M5 vs E55, all very similar prices new, 3200 still fetch 24k, M5 16-17k and E55 10-11k.

9. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil

BMW M1...BMW Z8...

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Can`t agree more! After only 5 years you can pay for Jags etc. by taking the cash of your children`s money-box. Not to mention the "lovely" cars from Sweden or V8-bangers from the US.....

Ciao!
    Walter

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Please do your homework: the 328 (prewar, was so good that even the Brits copied it until the early 50ies!!), the 507, the 3.0 CSL, the M1, the M3 Evo, and the Z1.

Ciao!
    Walter

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Things are quite different here in the USA. In fact, MB SLs depreciate like a rock here...As far as BMW classics, all M cars, the 328, 507,Z1 and Z8 come to mind...Unfortunately, because of the horrors of the Bi-Turbo along with the fact that Maserati pulled out of the USA for over a decade subsequent thereto massive depreciation for their new cars prevail.

13. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !

the massive depreciation for their new cars are due to these old farts who keep remind themselves of the biturbo that they never own.

one character is that they bought an M5 already but keeps checking the Maserati forum.

14. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    The USA is a strange market, I agree. The fact is that BMWs are mass products, designed as business machines first of all. Maseratis (like Ferraris, Lambos, etc.) are niche products designed as entertainment toys and styled to stand out in the crowd. In Europe, after the initial fashion has worn off all big German cars, especially the sporty AMG/M/RS versions lose most of their value. This doesn't happen to Maseratis.

An example? Today in Switzerland you can find at least 10 BMW M5 E39 with decent mileage (40 to 60,000 miles) for LESS than 25K US$. At the same time, you can't find ANY Maserati 3200GT of the same age, regardless of mileage, for less than 40K US$. And this despite the M5 being an objectively better car than the 3200GT (more reliable, less thirsty, better built...). The fact is, the M5 is just an "old BMW" of which several hundred thousand were built.

I agree, the early depreciation curve on Maseratis is terrible, but in the long run they keep a solid bottom end due to their rarity, style and exclusivity that, quite frankly, no German mass produced "taxi" - no matter how powerful - can ever dream of.

15. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Its funny, for some reason BMW owners seem to hate Maserati. I have a close friend who is a BMW maniac( previously M3,M5,735,X5 plus many lesser models) who coughs,spits and hisses everytime we pass the Maserati dealership LOL.

16. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    OK, I agree, M1,Z1,Z8 but as for all 'M' cars, don't think so as they are mass produced and not terribly good looking(except last M3). People buy them new for the performance(relative to the day) and technology/gadgets. Twenty years on performance levels are at a new level and the technology has moved on.

Contrast this to a Maserati, people buy this for its beauty and noise which is timeless.(excluding those biturbos from the 80's of course)

17. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i have owned and still own a couple of bmw's. M models included.

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I had from the 70ies on this BMW`s:

2002 ti
    2002 tii
    3.0 CSL Lightweight
    M1 (2 of them!)
    635 CSi (2 of them)
    M 635 CSi
    850 CSi
    M3 Coupe
    Z3 M Coupe

and I must say - as much as I love this cars as daily drivers, my heart beats faster when I see my little Maserati in my garage!

Ciao!
    Walter

19. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Obviously I'm not tarring everybody with the same brush, its just what I've seen on a few boards(over enthusiastic brand loyalties) and my experience of a close friend.

So what do you think of the 2007 coupe? Will it make your heart beat even faster?

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    not really - to be honest (exeptional the MC-Victory-version!!). I am more into the ol`cars! I also don`t like the new Ferraris (only the new Lamborghinis makes my heart beat faster!). But anyway, I very much like the coupe & spyder. I`ll wait for the new one.....

Ciao!
    Walter

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI,I paid $69k for my e39 M5 in March 2000 and sold it with 111k miles in April 2006 for $28k...not that bad of a depreciation curve for a four door sedan at less than 15% per year IMHO...and,FYI there have not been several hundred thousand M cars built ever on all models combined; M1s, M3s,M5s and M6s. While M cars may have larger production numbers than Maseratis, they still only build a few thousand per year.

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not true for me...I have owned three M5s and one M3 and I love Maseratis...but, for someone like me that keeps my daily driver for 100k+ miles, an M5 suits me better than a QP...