Maserati Khamsin | Page 273 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello to all

Found this advert in the link below, but could not attribute to any car I know.
    Automatic Khamsin, probably US model, supposedly imported from Germany
    with 100'000-110'000 km (mls not converted?) for 159'000 EUR, available in Rome.

Subito Impresa+ - - Maserati khamsin Auto usata - In vendita Roma

Does any one have a clue?

Marc, did you get in contact with the seller in Civitanove Marche for the early blue one ?

Best regards

Roger

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6802 Nembo1777, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Hi Roger,

I just spoke with the man handling the sale of 110, it has had just one owner a very old man, the dealer is having the car completely taken apart for a €20K paint job right now, he is sending me photos. I might go see it as I may head down to Italy for other business.

The black US automatic in Rome: there was a similar car being worked on near Modena about 4-5 years ago I have it in my files, just have to dig it up to verify if same car, which is very likely. Will look for it.

Best regards,

Marc

PS: I found the car I was thinking of but it is NOT the car in the ad you linked. The one I referred to is different black yes but with a tan interior and a single rectangular mirror, AM120US1232 which Ivan Ruiz had bought out of Chicago in 2009 with a Bora, the K had sat and had only 17900 miles at the time yet ran very strongly, he then sold it to Italy which is when a garage not far from Modena had contacted me for some information. I had no news after that.
    So not sure which the car in the ad is.
    Not many Khamsins in Italy nowadays particularly automatics.

MS

3. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    #6803 richjar, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Met up with a few friends today at a Breakfast meet and then went out for a spot of lunch. We caused a bit of a stir at the pub carpark

Weather was ace and the car ran like a dream
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6804 Nembo1777, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Looking good Richard! The most agile car amongst these 4 is Italian but not necessarily the blue one and certainly not the red one:)

Here is a new one that just appeared, not sure of chassis number, the asking price seems to be missing a 1 in front of the €50K:), time will tell whether it is someone who has not paid attention to the market for...oh about a decade or whether it is a case of when it sounds too good to be true...

1976 Maserati Khamsin for sale: Anamera

No answer from the vendors of the black one in Rome.

Best regards,

Marc

PS: Update: a friend of mine who owns three Khamsins just told me on the phone he had seen this car advertised elsewhere a few weeks ago and checked the business address which was a non existent address. Fake.
    He also feels he has seen these photos before. What disturbed me was the vernacular in the ad text is American, as though written by someone from the US of A, not the way a German would typically write in English, no disrespect meant just a linguist's intuition.

MS

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The price caught my eye too. Didn't immediately think it was fake, I justified that it might have mechanical issues or something unstated in the ad. I have not heard back from a message sent.

Agree the syntax sounds American, but it would be very rare for anyone from any English-speaking country to misspell "fitted"....
    - Art

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is two of you who received no answer, I just emailed them as well.

Of course if could just be someone who did not have a clue of current prices and sold it right away:)...but I doubt it.

I will look into my files and see if the rear bumper flaws match one of the few US grey 5 speeds still with US monster bumpers I have photos of....I know there is one in Tennessee;-)

Best regards,

Marc

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Marc...

When I first saw the ad for the car, I thought it might be a picture of mine..
    But on closer inspection, mine has mirrors on both the driver and passenger
    sides. So it shouldn't be mine!

Monster Bumpers, indeed !!!!! :)

Mike

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6808 Nembo1777, Apr 14, 2017
    Hi Mike!

Hope you are well.

By the way is this photo which I found online years ago, with the same number plate I had in Florida, a shot of your car before you owned it? Just one mirror I know but the 2nd one could have been added later.

I seem to recall it was in that part of the country.

Oh never mind Duh red interior your car is black interior, sorry.

Still any help identifying this one would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Marc

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Regarding that ad:

1976 Maserati Khamsin for sale: Anamera

I looked in my files and while there are several silver black 5 speed US cars still with US bumpers the only ones that have that type of mirror are projects that were found in really bad condition from long term neglect so no match amongst the cars I know.

There is also no telling when the photos were taken and if it is indeed a fraudulent ad then they would not care when their photos were taken. The photos offer not a single clue of where they were taken but the light is really very strong suggesting Florida or elsewhere the southern US and obviously a US number plate has just come off the car since no one in Europe would keep its surround hanging off the back like that.

MS

10. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    #6810 richjar, Apr 14, 2017
  11. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Hello, does anyone know what the wheel nut torque specification is for the Khamsin?
    Also, are the Campagnolo wheels magnesium?

Having a new set of XWX's fitted next week
    Thanks

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6812 Nembo1777, Apr 15, 2017
    Thanks for posting that Richard,

Pity the red Stuttgart thing hides the number plate. Trying to identify it...only 365 (first photo) and 385 (2nd photo, a car converted from right to left hand drive now used as a parts car in Norway, it used to have a huge rear wing made of mahogany!) were known to be white amongst Uk delivery cars. Clearly due to the mirror type and where on the door the mirrors are located it is not them.

So it is a left hand drive car visiting. It could be 050 living outside Paris which has been in a long term restoration (photos 3 and 4).

Best regards,

Marc

13. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Wow Marc, That was quick. Also the French car in your photos also has the Bertone badge on the front wing...
    I sent a question to the person on drive tribe, he replied and this is the only photograph he has...

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Richard,

It does not mean that is the actual car but a candidate, a match.

It is not 014 as it has different mirrors mounted on a different part of the door.
    I haven't gone through all Euro LHD cars but there aren't that many and there were ZERO US cars with Euro bumpers back then, even less so with Euro sidelight configuration.

It could also be a RHD car which is neither in my files nor in the list Andy Heywood of McGraths gave me. That is actually the most probable answer as few Europeans actually come with their cars to the UK due to the driving on the other side of the road.

Can you ask the photographer if he recalls whether it was LHD, RHD, what gearbox type and if foreign from what country? I know long ago but costs nothing to ask. We need him to be certain though otherwise it will lead us astray.

MS

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This may be the one Ivan bought and eventually sold to a fellow from around here? That one ended up getting work done at Classic Coach in NJ and then was sold off to a fellow in Canada. Maybe ...

I was interested in it at the same time Ivan was. It just needed too much work for my situation at the time.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

You are most likely right, that is what I thought...thanks.

That is 1228 which was born silver with red interior but which has had a black interior for years. It was then worked on at Classic Coach for a long time then bought by Motorcar Gallery where it arrived gun metal greyish. It then went to Toronto Canada for a while from where I sold it in 2014 to a client near San Francisco.

By the same token the car in the probably fraudulent advertisement referenced a few posts above cannot be 1228 which was a color match in recent years after its interior change to black but 1228 has no stickers bottom right side of windshield whereas the car in the ad has them (and 1228 has a milky windshield hence not replaced).

Best regards,

Marc

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I sold 1228 in January 2006 for a whopping $25K! That was after over 9 months doing a ton of work to the car, including most of the hydraulics. Oh ... the good old days :)

This is the webpage I used to advertise it ...
    The Car Nut - 1977 Maserati Khamsin

Ivan

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ivan,

Congrats again for all you have done to keep old tridents on the road.

Yes, likewise I bought 1242 for US$21k in April of 2004 in Wisconsin...seems ages ago when no one cared, let alone knew these cars:)

Best regards,

Marc

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #6819 staatsof, Apr 15, 2017

Tu es bienvenue mon démon! ;)

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hahahah Bob you must tell me what wine you are having for lunch I want to try it tout de suite;-)

M

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Le vin de la vie. It's a bit early for the grape juice ...

22. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    #6822 series1, Apr 16, 2017
    Hi All, just thought I'd post a few pick of my first venture into Khamsin ownership. It's 311. All being well, I'll pick it up next weekend.

I went to see the car at McGraths a few weeks ago. They were selling it on behalf of someone. It's got lots of issues but Andy, at McGraths has been fantastically helpful. They have serviced the car so, hopefully, I can get a years use out of it before having to do anything too drastic to it.

It's missing the belt tensioner, so if anyone knows where I might get one, that would be great.

I'll post some more picks when it arrives

Cheers

Mark

23. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    #6823 series1, Apr 16, 2017
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6824 Nembo1777, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Hi Mark!

Congrats on your acquisition of 311, when I saw it when visiting McGraths December 23 I felt it had the potential to be a good buy at a good price and as a running restoration as opposed to taking it all apart, my preferred way of doing things without a huge budget and you have the right approach for it. I enjoyed our email exchanges some weeks ago, you have the right approach.

You are in good hands with Andy and probably no one knows K's technically more than him.

In this forum you will find a lot of helpful tech experts as well such as Graeme, Ivan, Bob and others.

Keep us informed and happy driving:)

Marc

25. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi Mark,
    Congratulations on the new purchase...
    As Marc has said above this is a good forum with lots of knowledgeable people.

Dependant on your location, are you planning on bringing it too the Italian car day at Brooklands Weybridge on Saturday 29 April?

It would be nice for my car to have company... (Seem to remember one year there was a yellow Khamsin)