Maserati Khamsin | Page 281 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So here we are at 7000 posts, amazing, thank you all who contributed from historic facts to long lost cars resurfacing to tech advice in a friendly positive and knowledgeable way.

Greetings from Sicily where a Khamsin was once used in a movie (about he killing of a judge!) discussed here years ago and where the Khamsin prototype once lived for many years painted black. I don't believe there are any K's here now but who knows what might be tucked away out of the 38 K's sold new in Italy. I am not here for K's but to inspect Fiats (!)

Anyway very warm regards from 40 degrees on south the coast of the island.

Marc

www.maseratikhamsinregistry.com

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Niiiice.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #7003 thecarnut, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am looking for a source of the dash top material in a medium brown.

Is this material mousehair, suede, alcantara, or ??

Approximately how much is needed to do a K ?

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005

Extrapolating from the Bora it is mouse fur aka frontrunner.
    Take a look here:

72" Marine Hulliner (Headliner) Fabric

Regards.

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  6. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Ivan, if you don't mind sourcing from Italy, then Maieli have both black and marrone
    Coloured Maserati dash material listed on their website here:

http://www.interniautomaieli.com

hope that helps.

Mark.

7. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7008 Nembo1777, Sep 5, 2017
    Hi Roger,

Excellent news!

This car had been underground -virtually not physically- for decades, it is the ex Thomas Luscher AM120.316 which he owned at a very young age, in fact in Viale Ciro Menotti issue 50 in 1987 he discussed it at length, mentioned he was likely the youngest K owner and had to replace numerous oil seals after an extended top speed run on the Autobahn. Since this is the only instance in which I have heard of this need he likely had the oil not hot enough initially during his run, i.e. too dense or had the wrong oil. He also sent these photos to VCM.

I always wondered what happened to this car...and when exactly 7 years ago I organized a Khamsin meeting near Zurich with a friend (we had 8 cars out of a potential 16 or so in the Zurich region with many away for the summer) I had tried to dig up any link information to this car but there was no trace, apparently Luscher ut it up for sale in 1991...so wonderful to see it come out of the woodwork looking very healthy:)

Best regards,

Marc

PS: As to a Khamsin being underground, yes physically, we will see if in the coming months I will have permission to tell a great story, the most amazing one I have heard in 13 years of formal K data gathering:) But I don't break people's trust so time will tell, it may be that I won't be able to specify the actual country.

MS

9. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    There is another one, similarily priced:

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/maserati-coupe-occasion?utm_campaign=integration-seitenweit&utm_content=link-de&utm_medium=cooperations&utm_source=comparis&utm_term=detailansicht&vehid=5101520

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7011 Nembo1777, Sep 5, 2017
    Thank you for posting Alfieri 107.

the 2nd one is identified and that is 396 which a dealer in Switzerland advertised for years on Classic Driver showing just a photo of the chrome Khamsin word which was useless and they would not release more info...so they failed to sell it of course. Dodo marketing.

I also got photos of it when owned in the Geneva area by a friend of a friend many years ago. Some attached.

The 1st one I cannot identify unless it is a FULLY cosmetically transformed US car (meaning bumpers sidelights, steering wheel speedo etc) which I saw at Limacher's 10 years ago exactly.

Roger any ideas?

Thanks.

best regards,

Marc

11. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    hello ivan,
    see post here on the thread 196 or so, the material is somewhat before alcantara was invented.
    also here on the thread somebody gave an photo of measuremants i dont remember which post it was.
    campana sended me after 2 years of e-mail contact 3 samples this february, unfortunaly it does not match to my car.
    regards f

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thanks to all that have commented. I contacted Maieli who said he purchased the "fake leather flocked" (his words) material from Maserati years ago and is sending me a sample. I dealt with Maieli for the Ghibli leather and he is a very reliable and knowledgeable supplier.

I also ordered a couple of cans of SEM brown dye and will try that first. Of course new material would look much better but since the rest of the interior is all original I would like to see if I can save it .... plus mouse skin instead of hair doesn't look that bad :)

Ivan

13. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello alfieri107

I think this is #1052 which was for sale before at Limacher's.

My opinion is that it is overpriced, compared to e.g. 396 which must be one of the nicest cars around, although not much used for 20 years. Maybe it is in better shape mechanically than the optics suggest.

Best regards
    Roger

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7015 Nembo1777, Sep 5, 2017
    Hi all,

Roger confirms my thoughts about this most likely being 1052: in any case here is 1052 as I saw it at Limacher's (located near Luzern Switzerland) exactly 10 years ago, some photos by me and others not...tempus really fugit. Actually time I went to bed, none of these are by me and when I saw it it was not as nice as this, it had quite a bit of cosmetic work done and probably mechanical as well.

MS

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am now also in the process of removing the dash top.

I have removed the four nuts plus the two side screws. How is the smaller dash piece that is closest to the windshield held? It seems I need to remove this piece before the larger dash top can be removed.

Ivan

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Also ... how do I remove the glove box lid?

Ivan

17. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Hello Ivan,

the smaller piece is attached to the larger dashtop piece. You remove both pieces at once!
    Please lift it slightly (2-3cm) and pull it backward because at the front are small metall brackets under the windshield.

There are flex pipes which need some attention. The rest is easy.

Best
    Marek

18. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    #7019 chriskindl, Sep 6, 2017
    If I remember correctly:

1st remove the inner lid panel (mouse hair, 4 tiny srews)
    2nd now you got access to the pins of the hinges, detach and pull the left pin
    3rd take out the lid by pulling back and to the left

Best,
    Marek

BTW
    Superb, that this time capsule came into professional hands.

Mouse hair:
    I wanted to keep the original material. So I cleaned and dyed my dashtop and it came out very good. The original condition was similar to yours.

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Ivan...

From your recent posts, I take it you have a Khamsin! More details
    and pictures please! If I missed your announcement of it, please let
    me know the post numbers...

Congratulations...

Mike

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #7021 thecarnut, Sep 6, 2017
    Success !!

The nut on the left hand side, above the headlight lift switch, is a PITA to remove! After removing all 4 nuts the dash still did not want to come out. I then found that my dash has 5 nuts. Looks like Gino wanted to make sure it did not come flying out :)
    I include photos in case someone else runs into the same situation ... the arrow in the photo points to where there are two studs in close proximity.

One photo shows just how faded the dash is compared to the material found inside the glove box.

BTW: your dash looks great after the dye. I hope mine turns out that nice.

Ivan

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Mike,

You did not miss the birth announcement :)
    It had been 6 years since my last Khamsin so this was overdue.

I bought the Khamsin that Sam Dibitonto use to own. The car only has 23,000 miles and is mainly untouched other that a recent repaint.
    I've only driven the car from the transport trailer to the house. Since it was a long weekend and the car did not have a tag and I could not drive it ..... I started to address some of the cosmetics.

I'll post some photos once the interior is back together.

Ivan

22. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Was #1052 not originally a U.S. import ?

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes any K that has four numbers is a US car, and this one, 1052, has received not only the US bumper conversion but also the removal of the US government imposed big ugly rectangular "Ralf Nader pimples" sidelights etc, one US car which just changed hands in Norway, the very first one, AM120US1000, has had all that done and even has a longer differential ratio like a Euro K..

24. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Mmmm not sure about this new format either, still finding my way around.
    Anyway, 411 is for sale I have just seen. Has this one been commented on yet? RHD and 5 speed...and in Germany.

Here is the link.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C911941

Cheers all. Mark.

Attached Files: