Maserati Khamsin | Page 336 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger, I am convinced it is 156 (with nose added fairly early on), which today has a vented nose and has been seen in Belgium.

Here 2 more photos of that day in 1981: it was clearly not a pampered car the trunk was full of heavy things perhaps engine parts under a cover.

Then photos of it at the Bonhams 2000 Nurburgring auction. More in next post to avoid confusion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8377 Nembo1777, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Here is 156 new in London, as you can see automatic then, one of three orange cars, it has two peculiarities which surprised even Fabio.

It was sold new in England to a middle eastern client then soon after that to the father of my friend Philip Kantor head of Bonhams Motorcars Europe. This even though it is left hand drive but through the years UK residents, be they British or foreign such as diplomats have ordered left hand drive cars even though they live in the UK (London 95% o the time) because they travel to mainland Europe with the car very often.

Second peculiarity; 156 was born 5 speed but there was no demand so even BEFORE it left the factory it wa converted by them into an automatic. Fabio confirmed this. This was suitable for Mr Kantor senior who was by then of a certain age.

In later years the car was converted to 5 speed and repainted red while receiving a vented nose.

The third owner LL has a fabulous Belgian collection which includes a 5000GT.
    He sold it via a Belgian or Dutch dealer.
    The photos in red are at an indoor show in Brussels in 2001 and at an outdoor concours a couple of years ago at a concours in Belgium. I do not know who owns it now, the concours organizers had no contact info to forward my enquiry to.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Is it possible that the car on the last two photos (the outdoor concours) is #332?

I think #156 was sold by VSOC in Holland in 2014: http://www.vsoc.nl/collection/sold/maserati-khamsin-1975-rosso
    And it think the car on the photos below (from 2015) could be #156 after that sale?
    The car with the registration that you see on the photos is a 1975 car, registered in Holland on January 15, 2015, and it is still in Holland, insured and with a valid APK (=MOT).

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8379 Nembo1777, Jul 17, 2020
    Hi AMLC yes you are right I was wrong about the last 2 photos. Those were taken by a friend of mine he just saw the car briefly.

They are 332 the seats (headrest type)match and also the front lights in the bumper not only are they fully white but they stick out the same way. I went to see it in the private collection of Mr A.d.M. June 27, 2014 a fantastic one in remote Flemish countryside with a number of F1 cars, and other very fine exotica. he had two K's there, the other being 374. 332 was originally painted Tobacco.

He had bought the closing out parts stock of Staumont the former importer/Brussels dealer so he was able to give me a copy of the rare very dark (shot past twilight) factory Khamsin poster I had been trying to find everywhere!

The first two photos are quite old including the autogespot one with a non current registration plate.

The last two photos are by me 2014.

Back on later re the other car you mention, I have to get work done;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Regarding the car with number plate ending in 44 yes that is a plate I have seen before and yes that could well be 156. Holland and surprisingly Austria have an amazing numbers of K's per capita along with Switzerland Germany and UK of course.

So I gather that like in Sweden you have a government database based on number plates? Can you hunt by chassis number? If so how many AM120's? Thanks in advance.

Here in France it is very hush hush but I know a broker with good contacts who managed to access it, most interesting, so many nice old cars tucked away.

In the US it was also quite readily accessible...until 9/11 changed a lot of confidentiality rules.

6. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8381 AMLC, Jul 17, 2020
    Yes government database based on number plates. No, no information about chassis numbers.
    Also no information about the owner(s) like name and address but you can see things like when the registration started, when the ownership of the current owner started, or if the car is insured..

Just go to www.rdw.nl, scroll down a little and enter the number plate in the yellow field that says "TIK HIER" and enter. You can see the information, but it is all in Dutch.

To see how many Khamsins.you can get an indication at https://www.rdwdata.nl/merken/maserati, choose the K in the column on the left, and then click on Khamsin. There are 18 registrations, but not all of these registrations are still valid, last time I checked at www.rdw.nl 11 of the 18 were valid registrations, this was in May. Then there is one car registered as AM120, so that makes 12 registered in Holland. And there is a Khamsin sports, but I don't know if that's a real Khamsin, don't know that car and it has a registered weight of 1040 kg, could be an administration error.

The site www.rdw.nl is the official government site and is generally up-to-date. The site www.rdwdata.nl is a commercial operation that uses the government data, and is not always completely up-to-date.

This is the situation in Holland :) .

rga and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bedankt AMLC very interesting.

What about this one in a big Dutch collection I was allowed to visit a few years ago in May 2011 near but not at all related to the Italauto service shop?

Do you know it and its current status? Curious to know when it arrived in Holland.

AM120US1252

Exact same specs as my ex AM120US1242: oro kelso/senape except it is an automatic.

I have in my notes that it was sold by Speed 8 in Belgium in 2013. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    No I don´t know where #1252 is now. Also didn’t know that that was the car at Speed8!
    But I did find some notes.
    The Dutch YZ-registration had start date October 14, 1991. But I saw a Khamsin in the same colour in the service area of Ferrari importer Kroymans in Hilversum in January and May 1991, so it was probably already in Holland for some time before it was registered. I don’t know if it was owned by Kroymans.
    Later, in 1997, it was for sale at VW/Audi dealer Hoekstra in Huizen. I saw it in the showroom on March 15, 1997. It still had US bumpers, the wheels were in bad shape, and I thought it was repainted, asking price was 65000 Dutch guilders (appr. 30k EURO).
    In October 2009 I checked the YZ-registration on the RDW site and the ownership of the owner at the time had started at October 29, 1999. The car had a valid APK and was insured, so it was probably used.

By the way, I also found a note that I saw a 1978 manual Khamsin in Holland in 1995 with a plate on the top of the dashboard with number 1216. Is there any information about #1216?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    I need to reinstall my engine and gearbox (manual) into my car. I had removed them separately, the gearbox first and then a while later the engine. Does anyone know if it is possible or advisable to reinstall them already assembled through the engine bay?
    Regards
    Paul

10. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi AMLC

I have two pics of 1216. but they must be older, the first still in the US, the second from an auction description, don't know which one, in french.
    Marc has more info till at least 1986.

Roger

11. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    I have myself a question about a dutch registration, where I know very little, and no pictures:

NL - 95 YB 84 apparantly in black, with first registration 28.02.1975.

Does anybody know something about this one?

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes that is a common operation but have a second pair of hands at hand and protect the front end bodywork. Perhaps the likes of Ivan will chime in.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8388 Nembo1777, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Here is all I know, with just the two illustrations Roger already posted: the concours photo is in the US, at Lake Tahoe (which straddles the California Nevada border) when owned by Dennis Noonan, the auction catalog is from a June 1990 Artcurial auction in Paris. I assume it was bought by a French broker who zeroed in on it during a buying trip, that was very common in the 80's.

Bought new 1978 by Artie Wiener, Bayshore, New York state. Red, black & tan interior, he bought it from Bob Grossman after seeing one and meeting him at the New York city auto show, he fitted wire wheels and “racing mirrors”. Later advertised VCM Vol. 6 N. 3May/June 1982 by Wiener. Owned 1984 by Dennis Noonan, Sacramento, California. Ruby red with wire wheels, 1st in class at MIE meet 1984 and again in 1985.
    Advertised for sale VCM #45 January 1986.

I do not know anything else thanks for the 1995 Holland update.

No info on NL - 95 YB 84.

14. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8389 AMLC, Jul 19, 2020
    This registration had startdate 03-03-2014 in Holland, I think it was #1058 (the (former) "ostrich" car) which was then for sale in Brummen.

rga likes this.
  15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Based on these two photos of #1216 I think it is certain that it was #1216 that I saw in 1995, my notes were: August 12, 1995, Autotron Rosmalen, 1978 Khamsin, red, black leather, manual, Euro conversion at the rear, US bumper at the front, plate with number 1216 on top of dashboard, asking price 77500 Dutch guilders.
    There was also a red-black US Bora, also for sale.

I don't have a lot of old photos of Khamsins but I do have some of a red Khamsin in 1990. So I looked at them yesterday and I scanned them. This Khamsin also has Euro rear and US front, so I thought this could also be #1216. But another thing is that the car has no wipers, and on the two photos of #1216 from Roger there also appear to be no wipers.
    See the photos below. They are from the first half of 1990, probably May or June, and they were taken in Wassenaar Holland.
    I don't think this car stayed in Holland, do not know where it is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga likes this.
  16. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    I think it is possible that the photo in the auction catalog was also taken in Wassenaar, at about the same location where I took my photos.

This is where the dealer that later (1992/1993) imported my car (as part of a collection) in Holland had his company. Maybe he brought #1216 to the auction in 1990?

He is interviewed about that collection in Thoroughbred and Classic Cars from March 1994. Unfortunately my Khamsin is not in that story because it was already sold at the time to the first Dutch owner.

17. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    attached pic of my dash with the center red light on. I checked my brake pads and they are abt. 70 % ok and there are no cables attached.
    The light goes on, when I press the brake pedal, but only for a moment. The usual tests of the pressure system are ok.
    Any ideas?

Best,

Rolf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf

in the meantime I have a replacement made for the black plastic elastic ring by additive digital printing and it works fine. pics attached

19. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    It seems to me that your center light is comparable to the light on many US cars that says "Brake press". As you can see in post #8369 the car #1028 has a "Brake press" light and a "STOP" light.
    But the question remains that when the "STOP" light checks to see if the LHM pressure is high enough, what extra check is the "Brake press" light for? Maybe (former) owners of US cars that had both lights know the answer?

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8395 Nembo1777, Jul 19, 2020
    Rolf's car is not a US car it is a Euro car one of the very very last built, 1981 black/black, delivered new in Vienna Austria, the only K I know which has the window chrome blackened from new. Rolf will tell his chassis number if he wants.

Let's not forget that at Maserati back then nothing was set in stone things evolved and that includes dashboards.

Regarding 1216 thank you for the photos you posted.:)

That article: Thoroughbred and Classic Cars from March 1994 was it about a collection in Holland with a lot of Maserati Gt cars but no Khamsin, a cover shot in the countryside? I think I remember it...and being frustrated at the missing car:D

pilotoCS likes this.
  21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wonder if you have some air or more likely nitrogen in your system that needs to be compressed before the system reaches the proper pressure.
    Does the pump cycle on when you do this?
    Do your brakes seem to initially grab more than normal?

But first ... just to be clear does the red stop light on the left only come on when you first start the car and stay on until the hydraulic pump finishes pressuring the accumulators?
    That's easy enough to test by releasing all the pressure in your system via repeated brake applications and headlamps up and down with the motor off. Then see how it behaves. Count the number of brake applications until it goes flat. Same thing for the headlamps. This will tell you the state of your accumulators. Look for Ivan's thread on the correct numbers.
    If the light on the left is the pressure switch then I don't know what the middle one is ... but it bears testing things out. Knowing which is the pressure warning light is pretty damn important.

22. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8397 AMLC, Jul 19, 2020
    Yes you're welcome, it was nice to identify the car on these old photos. I think it didn't sell at that auction in 1990 and that he kept offering it for some years after that, gradually lowering the price.
    On the cover of that T&CC magazine was a Merak and the text "Maserati obsession: The computer wizard with eight Maseratis. We drive them all.", and inside a large photo of a Mexico in the countryside and more photos of all cars.
    I was not clear I think about the lights, I wasn't suggesting that Rolf's car is a US car, but that the light (without description) on his Euro car could maybe be comparable to the "Brake press" light on US cars (many of them have three lights with descriptions). But it may just as well be comparable to the "Fasten seat belts" light on US cars. I don't have any experience with this with my own car, because it has only two rectangular lights (STOP and handbrake), like most early Euro cars.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Strange configuration.
    Please follow diagnostic procedure outlined in post #8396 and report.

PS Rev counter at zero---oil pressure 4.5.
    What gives?

24. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    all is normal and checked ok

25. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    all checked fine. rev counter on low idle always on zero, engine cold, high pressure.