Maserati Khamsin | Page 347 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    K 1082 used to be driven by Mr Graziani, a Corsican racing driver in Paris who loved the big US bumpers for Parisian "contact parking";-)

It was then converted to Euro bumpers and bought from a Belgian dealer by a British resident of the Isle of Jersey, a tax haven in the English channel.

He came to K40 with it in 2012.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When you look closely at the current cracks in those "bumpers" you can understand why. Given the era neither type of bumpers were suitable though the fiberglass ones looked the best by a country mile. That rear rubber bumper solution was that of a bankrupt styling and engineering department.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Bmwracer, you have a PM.

The air conditioning is fine when properly serviced. It is quite elaborate actually.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Hello Froggie,

Try reading it on your phone, on the phone you can expand the photos, and you an read it with or without a magnifying glass, no problem. I can read it easily on PC or phone.

Heel and toe is for skilled drivers in a K due to the sensitivity of the brakes but it is feasible. First you get used to the car though and then later you try heel and toe:)

Froggie likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob, the reality of Maserati at the time is that the company was in dire straights bleeding money left right and center, Citroen had been taken over by Peugeot so there was no longer anyone in Paris caring like Pierre Bercot did and Malleret delegated manager head of the factory had his hands tied. Also if you have a better solution to the dilemma that was IMPOSED by the US bureaucracy on Maserati at the time let us know: the truth is the rear end design of the Khamsin was in an ideological crash with US rulemakers.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8656 Nembo1777, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Friday in Geneva I went to see 094 which I had never seen before. Sold to an Arab prince who had it in the south of France, very little use (20000kms possibly real) as confirmed by a very good interior.
    It was then put for sale by a classic car dealer in the south of France and bought by a Geneva garage owner who as of Friday had not looked at the file yet so was not sure of mileage. I met with the man friday, he knows Khamsins very well, used to service, among others, the black car of Prince Al Thani and the coral colored 1168 that lived in GVA for decades now owned by a Parisian friend of mine.

094 needs some cosmetic attention, has some rust in the lower rear, and a big reawakening service but was just sold to a German who lives in France near Geneva. The engine bay will give the concours types heart attacks;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and rga like this.
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Fiberglass bumpers will always crack like that. But yes I get that they were broke. The Pantera's later bumpers were a decent shot. A nicer rubber front could have happened for the Bora and Khamsin, rear for the Bora but given the materials and technology at the time I think the Khamsin's rear was just doomed. They should have sought some kind of a small manufacturers exemption. Something that happened later on in the industry. These miniscule number of cars wouldn't have made any difference but the times were one of Ralph Nader safety and new hyper environmentalism. Come to think of it it's even worse now! LOL ;)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

Great to have more info on this car too.
    What do you think is a Khamsin in this condition worth, by the way?

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Khamsin Rear Hatch Struts...

I received the Suspa rear hatch struts last week and installed them in my friend's Khamsin. They fit... and they function nicely...

...HOWEVER:
    - The lower end of the original struts have an integral ball and socket fitting that bolts to the lower mounting tab.
    - The lower end of the new Suspa struts are nothing more than a threaded end and aren't supplied with a "ball and socket" end fitting necessary to bolt to the lower mounting tab. You have to source a pair of 'ball and socket' fittings that screw onto the ends. I was lucky enough to discover a perfect pair in my spare parts bin. Unfortunately I can't provide anyone with a part number.

- The upper mount flange of the Suspa strut is narrower than the original. The original is fastened with a 'shoulder' bolt of a certain length. That length doesn't match the the width of the Suspa's upper flange. I had to use an inelegant stack of washers to make up the difference so the original shoulder screw could be tightened properly. If you can source a shoulder screw with a shorter shoulder, that would be more elegant. I'll source some better washers for a permanent installation later.

Cheers,
    - Art

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

boralogist likes this.
  10. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8660 AMLC, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    So #094 was delivered new in France but probably not via the normal route because it is not in the list at the Thepenier site. Maybe because it was a foreign VIP client.
    No leading zero (or zeroes) on the red chassis plate before the number 94 is surprising, the plates look rather new too.
    On the photo below it is in the showroom in the south of France with licence plate.

Some sources on the Internet say that the first owner of #088 was another VIP, Jean-Paul Belmondo. The photo below is on Instagram, maybe the original registration (and tennis racket?) of monsieur Belmondo?

#094:

#088:

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger,

I think this one sold for just under 100K Euro to the garage owner which is fair because it has slept for years and needs bodywork and therefore paint too. I don't know what the German buyer paid. Now I humbly estimate 120 US$ for a decent car in the US and 140 Euro for a ok car in Europe. Those are the ones selling now rather than the top cars though I do have two enquiries for top cars now: we shall see....

rga likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi AMLC,

Not sure if delivery of 94 (noticed the missing zero yes but what else is new;-)) took place in France or middle east. It would be nice if 088 was new to Belmondo, I have no such records. I often see ex racer Paul his son at events so will catch him next time, have no way to reach him, never spoke to him before. Plausible because his dad had a Ghibli and several Ferraris. There is a lot of wrong info on Pinterest etc. Thepenier records state 088 new 15/7/75 to Mr Vilaseca, sky blue/white.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for the photos Art; looking good! Curious as to the reaction of your friend who owns the light blue car when he sees the silver one in Euro version:)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art...

Thank you for the info on the Khamsin rear hatch lift struts! This information is very useful..
    Can you tell me where you ordered yours from and the exact part number?

Loved the pictures of the 2 K's and Bora above and in the Bora thread! I know the light blue one
    belongs to a friend of yours, and the Bora is yours, but who owns the silver K? Perhaps I missed
    a post somewhere along the line! Per Marc, there may be very few of us K owners in the US left, thus
    we need to stick together!

Here is an older picture of my Mexico and K together (previously posted somewhere here on Fchat)...

I am sure Marc will have a comment or two to make about my K's bumpers!!!! :);)

Mike

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. Warburg

Warburg Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    K 268 ignition troubles.

Greetings from Denmark!
    Thanks for a Valuable and interesting Khamsin chat.
    I have during summer experienced occasional ignition misfiring while keeping steady speed at the highway.
    Also gas is popping/ignited in the exhaust, when overrunning
    It also seem acceleration is somewhat slower.
    No problem starting the engine hot and cold.
    Timing is set correct.
    I'm getting to a conclusion about a faulty Bosch ignition switch module?
    Does anybody have experience with the ignition module? Repair and replacement?

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hejsan Carsten!

How are you?

I always loved the popping on overrun in mine;-)

Still remember when you picked me up at Copenhagen airport in it:)

The tech experts here will take care of you.

-Unrelated:

1-I have two K owners seeking the narrow space saver spare wheel: does anybody have one or know of one..or two available? I have tried Candini, Tralli, Campana, McGrath, le Trident.

2-Is anyone in Canada preferably Toronto area or the US north, northeast willing to give member "bmwracer" who posted here in the last few days a ride in one so he can decide if he wants to buy one? Thanks in advance for him:)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  18. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Or an industrial fastener supply house like: https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx

19. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Hum, I don't think so, BPS 75 is a 1977 plate ;-)

21. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hi Mike, my pleasure...

You can review our initial discussion on the topic of Khamsin rear hatch gas struts June this year at post #8280:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147289635/

The struts were sourced from Suspa.com, part number C16-15441 in the following link, and took about 3 weeks to be delivered:
    https://shop.suspa.com/c16-15441-gas-spring-p1021.aspx

This website was referenced back in a post here from 2017 for the 'ball & socket' end fittings, but they look too big and are not verified. I suggest performing a fresh, independent, online search for the right ball & sockets.
    http://lstechnologies.ca/misc-hardware/

MIE also offers this pair of struts complete with 'ball & socket' ends and acorn nuts for a one-stop shopping experience, but you wrote that they didn't fit?..
    https://www.maseratinet.com//pc-17713-801-khamsin-rear-hatch-support.aspx

Cheers,
    - Art

Attached Files:

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc, I remember hearing somewhere, that it was sourced from a Lamborghini tractor.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Joe, will investigate, could be front wheels for the small tractors that go between vine rows or that straddle them. I know one old Lambo tractor at a castle near here in Burgundy, I have photos will compare and speak to a tractor dealer.