Maserati Khamsin | Page 348 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    There are no Belmondo Khamsin on Thepenier listing...

2. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes well I don’t know but if he really owned this car maybe he bought the car in 1977 as a used car, that would explain the 1977 plates? But in that case he was of course not the first owner.

I think the photos of the car were taken in Liѐge Belgium, at this company: https://tcar-pirrera.com/

3. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #8678 MK1044, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Marc, I'm pretty sure these people will make anything, given dimensions or a wheel to copy from:

https://www.diamondracingwheels.com/

If there is some interest, I will contact them and look into having a small run made.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

-Great idea Carmine, definitely worth investigating.

I need two space saver spare wheels for European owners, is there anyone else here wanting one?

-Also tech experts please help Carsten in post 8667 in the preceding page, thanks.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #8680 boralogist, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    There was a time in the past many of us happily did exactly that!
    But non of my recent Bora & K requests for input have even had the courtesy of a response.

I certainly am not going to bother our esteemed 'experts' on such matters again!

BTW new unobtainium A/C pulley successfully installed on BORA today:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    All...

I think some of us don't respond to questions, as we don't have an answer. This could be because we haven't experienced
    the issue or just plain can't contribute something helpful.

Regarding the carb popping in Denmark (Carsten), I have always had some popping especially on deceleration. Nothing
    I thought I should worry about. Maybe I am wrong and need to worry...

Boralogist: my apologies if I missed an issue you brought up looking for assistance.. Please continue to post your questions,
    and if I can help I certainly will try..

Art: thank you for the info on the rear hatch struts. I ordered my set yesterday and should have them in a couple of weeks.
    I really appreciate the info on the attachment hardware. I noticed on mine that the attachment hardware, excluding the ball
    joint hardware, were different from side to side, and that a few washers were used. Per you suggestion, I will attempt to correct
    this when installing the new struts..

Mark: It will be interesting to see what you come up with regarding the small spare tires. I can imagine it will be expensive.
    I wonder what happened to all the missing ones! I am not aware of any other cars that used this spare!

Mike

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Are you sure the problem is ignition related and not fuel related, such as fouled carb jets? Either one will create the symptoms you mentioned.
    I would start by using a Colortune to check each cylinder and see how they are burning the fuel. I nice bright blue flame indicates a proper burn. I like to then enrich it a little as the engine will pop less when overrunning. An erratic burning cylinder will be obvious and will need further investigation. If you see a spark through the Colortune plug but no burn then you know the problem is fuel related. No spark, and therefore no burn, points to an ignition problem.

Ivan

Froggie, 71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have 5 of them in my basement ... (just kidding)

Aren't these the same as the Merak SS?

Ivan

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #8684 71Satisfaction, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Carsten,
    Having managed the Webers on my 4.9 Bora for some 8 years now I agree with Ivan the first thing I'd check if I heard backfire or popping is the fuel mixture... (the mixture settings are "fixed" on the carburetors, so it will be changing now during the change of season temperatures and humidity.. Unless you have reason to suspect something different).

You can perform a carburetor tune starting with airflow balance, then mixture, with very basic tools. There is a full procedure posted somewhere, I might even have written it years ago (Wow I don't sound like a rookie anymore).

Best,
    - Art

PS - My observation on tech questions: The sheer volume of posts will quickly "bury" a question a few pages back for those who don't frequently check in. So be patient, AND don't be shy... Just PM those members who answer a lot of posts on the model of Maserati related to your question. I've been busy enough so haven't checked the Bora pages for days or weeks, even though I own one.

Nembo1777 and MK1044 like this.
  10. Warburg

Warburg Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten

11. Warburg

Warburg Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    Art and Ivan,

Thank you very much for your inputs.
    I will definately begin with the carburator tuning and colortune, before moving to the ignition switch box.

I will let you know how it goes.

Best
    Carsten

71Satisfaction likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8687 Nembo1777, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Regarding the space saver spare wheel I just called Marcello at Candini Maserati in Modena and yes he thinks that the spare used for Khamsins and Meraks originates from a tractor but he had no knowledge of it being from Lamborghini or another manufacturer.

I will now ask Fabio to put the question to Cozza, back with the answer. If we can locate some great, otherwise the route suggested by Carmine would be the option.

MK1044 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Space saver spare wheel update: Fabo Collina answered me right away today, he looked in the archives and it is a Borrani made wheel; model R1-595.

I have now written to Borrani asking to find out what they know, can do, have available, how much if so. Will let you know when they answer.

In the meantime if this reference info helps anyone here dig up any data be my guest:)

MK1044 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  14. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    In a museum in Fichtelberg (Bavaria Germany near Bayreuth) is this 1978 red-black US Khamsin, I think at least since 2010. Do not know if it is manual or automatic.
    In post #412 in 2008 (!) it was mentioned that #1240 was in Bavaria.
    Could the car in Fichtelberg be #1240?

The Kyalami is AM129/49*0238.

33guana and MK1044 like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8690 Nembo1777, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Great find AMLC,

2008 was a busy year for me and while I made that comment I have no notes beyond that; sorry. It could well be 1240, one chassis number below my ex car.

Another K in a museum amazing.

I remember in 1988 visiting a small car museum in the Cotswolds, UK in Stratford upon Avon and there was a silver car there. The Patrick collection in Birmingham had another silver one, neither collections still exist. 1250 is in Loheac the Manoir de l'automobile museum while another red K, a Euro one is in a small museum in provence. In Germany there were two gold K's in museums, now sold on, then there is that sleepy small museum in Austria which has one that we discussed this summer...and the one in the Hellenic motor museum in Greece...

Here is a photo from the Fichtelberg museum website.

33guana likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The answer just received from Borrani wheel headquarters in Italy, via Matteo Bossisio about Khamsin and Merak space saver spare wheel availability:

Dear Marc,

Sorry but the disc steel production has been cancelled 30 years ago …

Under the CMR we were able to supply also standard products, but CMR is long gone and I do not have any way to help you.

Best regards,

MB

End of quote.

He is putting me in touch with Mr Gittani who was head of the tech office at CMR who might have worthy comments. Clearly reproducing these wheels is now a useful option.

MK1044 likes this.
  17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

Marc,
    Ask if he can provide other applications for that wheel. They surely didn’t produce it exclusively for 2,500 Khamsins and Meraks.

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    With a PCD of 4x130 and an offset that should be suitable, there are no other cars than Masers of the period that could use such a wheel...
    Edit: maybe somme Beetle's

MK1044 likes this.
  19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Its the private (!) collection of Perry E., a long time member of The German Maserati Club.

MK1044 likes this.
  20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Which is why I said "Applications". As I mentioned in an earlier post, I remember hearing years ago that it was a Lamborghini Tractor Tire. This one looks like it might be a little wider But............

Froggie and MK1044 like this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Walter,

Do you know if it is 1240 or what other chassis number it is?

Thanks.

Actually in the data you gave me in spring 2008 it says:

AM120.US.1240

Sept.29.,1977

"Celeste Chiaro/Fungo"

So it does not seem to be this car unless they repainted it AND dyed/re-upholstered the seats black.

So this is most likely another.

Joe I did ask the Borrani man what other vehicles the wheel was used for, he will answer if he has that info.

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Marc,
    I have never seen this car so I do not have the VIN of it. Sorry...

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery