Maserati Khamsin | Page 355 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Ugghh.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ahhh...good that I clearly topped that high bid on that car I brokered recently. This was an original EU-car with not an "re-converting-to-EU-specs-story"!

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Walter AM120US1082 the car just presented at auction by RM Sotheby's is a US market car sold new in Los Angeles, as I confirmed when I helped RM with the catalog bio.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf20/london/lots/r0008-1975-maserati-khamsin-by-bertone/993765

You must be confusing it with another car.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Quaint little article but just to be precise we all know six Espadas is a number out of nowhere as is the 390hp mentioned (!) and it was the Marzal, not an Espada that Prince Rainier and Princess Grace drove in 1967 to open the circuit and which 51 years later Prince Albert drove during the 2018 Historic GP, see both photos in link below.

https://lignesauto.fr/?p=2655

I was there 2 years ago and it was really great to see:)
    But yes I agree back to K's now:)

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Different year, different car?

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/unique-lamborghini-espada-fitting-tribute-models-50th-birthday/
    https://drive-my.com/en/test-drive/item/2192-1968-lamborghini-espada-series-1-road-test.html

I guess we'd have to ask Lamborghini. Enough for now.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Marc,
    no, no confusion with a different car and I meant #US1082. I am quite sure that here in ol`EU US-spec-Khamsin are no so good sellers. The audience, called "market" prefers more Khamsin with original EU-specs. The car I brokered recently was an original EU-Khamsin and sold for significantly more money than the highest bid of the converted car at RM.

Froggie and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Looks like AM120-1082 has a lucky new owner as it is now listed as sold by RM.
    £120k (plus commission??) represents an epic deal For a Khamsin with £110k of recent expenditure IMHO.
    Sold to anyone on here??

best to everyone.

mark.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes sold, good news, congratulations to the buyer, I wonder if he will post here or email me. He gets a car that has had major work in one of the best workshops in the world, nothing wrong with that:). That is several K's sold in recent weeks, two in the US and two in Europe good!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf20/london/lots/r0008-1975-maserati-khamsin-by-bertone/993765

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A former Khamsin owner posted this photo on FB, not his car but AM120-154, quite a find as it is the first time I have ever seen a photo of it. It was sold new by Thepenier the French importer 29/10/75 in arancio (orange) white to the Tissier furniture company. The photo was taken at a dealership in Nice, south of France in 1989, the number plate 06 is from that area and the man who posted it says an English friend of his bought it then. I have never heard of this car before or after that instance.

It is one of four K's in orange with 018 now dark blue, 156 now red and 301 the first right hand drive K, which I saw in london in 1982 in red, it was many years later found too rusty and dismantled, scrapped.
    The owner of 018 in Berlin was thinking of putting his back to orange, time will tell.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miura1, AMLC, rga and 1 other person like this.
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Many moons ago, when I was looking for a Khamsin, I came across of a car that was located in the UK Lake district. I asked my today-friend Andy Heywood to inspect the car on my behalf. Andy`s later report clearly stated that the car was in bad condition with many issues that required a resto. I pased this car.

But I remember that it was in bright orange like #154. Unfortunately I can`t recall the VIN of it but I am pretty sure that it was not one of the cars you listed as being originally in orange color. So it might be possible there were more than 4 cars that came in that color.

13. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
  14. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  15. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    The ebay car is 335. The one with the eccentric tow hook installation for a caravan. Sold at RM October 24 2019 for. £67k or so.
    I like it alot.

good health everyone.
    Mark

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    My mistake.
    Forget it...

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Walter,

Thanks for the story.

Fabio confirmed to me, today, that only four K's were born Arancio (orange). 018, 154, 56 and the right hand drive 301. I can't imagine anyone painting one that color, it might be popular for Passats and 914's but is not a typical Maserati color except for Meraks.
    The notes you traded me in 2008 don't mention anything about 154 having been in the UK.
    If it was RHD it was likely 301 which we know degraded to the point of later being scrapped. If it was lhd it was not 018, always in France till I sold it to Berlin in December 2016.

However both 154 and 156 have been in the UK....but 156 was sold by auction director PK after a change to manual gearbox to major Belgian collector LL... so it would have to have been 154 and since it had been sold to an Englishman it makes sense...That was the time when they were dirt cheap so it is believable that a car bought on the spur of the moment in Nice became a deferred maintenance headache in central England....just my due centesimi:)

wbaeumer likes this.
  18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Very nice!

I have a question about two cars that were mentioned on this thread in the past.

Do you have photos of #150, which is apparently a black car in Sweden, and of #321 which is in Paris?

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Oh my God they removed the t
    Hello AMLC,

Ja, ja 150 is in Germany, Munich if I am not mistaken with WZ a respected Maserati connoisseur who has done Le Mans Classic etc in 1950's Masers. He was one of the very first to kindly send me info back in 2004. It has not however as far as I know run in many years. The interior is tres red. He removed the airbox and filter putting grilles on the carbs. I have no history details yet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AMLC likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    321, delivered new 18 April 1975 by Citroen UK in Slough in "medium blue" tan is one of four RHD K's I know of on mainland Europe. It is owned by DK, an Englishman who lives in Paris and is a director of the French Jaguar club.
    The first owner according to him was Rob Walker a famous F1 team owner, the proverbial British gent and the last privateer, for whom Stirling Moss raced numerous times. He also fielded Jo Siffert in a Cooper Maserati. The Khamsin must have looked right at home in front of his enormous Manor house.

The next owner as stated by DK was Daley Thompson a famous British athlete. It was repainted red at some point.

I have met DK in Paris, he had signed up and paid his reservation to come to K40 but showed up in...an XK120 instead(!) alleging no time to wake up the car which he does not use much.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B, rga and AMLC like this.
  21. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I have a question wrt the mesh protection of the airhorns on the picture shown by Marc:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Was it because of a missing air filter casing or a choice of the owner?
    Without a proper channelling of "fresh" air coming from the front part into the intake, so only picking hot air from top under the hood, seems to me a bad idea...

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Racy choice for better sound!
    Of course gearheads can argue about the pros and cons of it until the end of time Serge but that is another debate today I won't wait for, bedtime here:)

Froggie likes this.
  23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8873 AMLC, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  24. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    As far as I know only 262 has Fuel Injection and that mystery car in Japan whose owner did not answer my email.

I don't recognize the car in the photos you link. 262 is known to be white but the warehouse the car is in looks to me like it is that of the owner of 262 so your theory that it was gold before becoming white could be valid. The gold car in your link has BBS wheels but 262 was adorned with some other custom wheels.
    In that same ownership there is also this one, 1004 gold but different mirrors. You can see 262's rear end in the warehouse photo.
    Then here are shots of 262 as it is known in white.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login