Maserati Khamsin | Page 368 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Ok, it is probably #303 then!

I scanned two b/w photos of the car, see below.
    What is remarkable is that they didn’t clean the car at all before taking the photos.

If someone wants to have his own copy of the article, this 1975 Motor article is also in the book “Supercars of the seventies” from 1979, see cover below, I think copies can be found on Ebay for example. The book also contains road tests of Indy, Merak and Bora.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for the scans, with lots of rain and many small muddy roads it was impractical for journalists in the UK to wash cars and make them all pretty just for some photos, I have seen far worse.

What is interesting is that this car has the small dainty slot and gear lever version of auto box, I have only seen that on one or two others such as 186 see photo.

MK1044 likes this.
  3. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    MK1044 likes this.
  5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am on their mailing list and they seem to list interesting parst, but there are never any prices. Hard to buy parts when prices are not shown. Would be interested in learning your experience with them.
    Ivan

8. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I have interacted with them.
    When you ask for a quote, they reply.
    Not cheap, though...

9. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    First contact.
    Not good.
    Paid for FedEx overnight was told they shipped with standard postal airmail but that they would give me a discount on a future order!
    Managed to get a PayPal refund after playing lawyer---which is what I do in non-Maserati life!
    ☹️

MK1044 likes this.
  10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Technical Question; Electrical -

Is it necessary for the headlight "doors" to be in the UP position for the headlights to be energized?
    The Khamsin wiring diagram in the Owner's Manual, and electrical fitting number 35 on Page 206, indicate a "Light switch, hydraulically operated".
    Does this mean the headlights are OFF until the buckets are raised (the switch senses hydraulic pressure)?
    If necessary, does anyone know where to find hydraulic switch 35 so I can bypass it?

I want to troubleshoot my headlight wiring, the lights are not all coming on. But the headlight "doors" are DOWN, the Kh is apart and I have no hydraulic pressure at the moment. The Bora's headlights can be switched ON even with the doors in the DOWN position, and it has no comparable hydraulic switch.

Grazie,
    - Art

11. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    The hydraulic switch is the one on the junction block next to the two accumulator spheres. I believe you can short the two connectors, alternatively you can use switch 22 in Figure 8 in the owners manual. Either way I don't think you need to the headlights raised to get them to turn on.
    Regards
    Paul

71Satisfaction likes this.
  12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    NOT true. EXACT set up --- w/the exact same hydraulic/interchangeable switch---if functions are different---than one of your two cars has a wiring problem.
    For the K, here it is:

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Art...

If memory serves me right - As indicated by barnfieldman, there is a switch on the dash
    (mine is located to the left of the radio - US version) used to turn the headlights on...

I believe this would be needed in the case the headlight "doors" were opened manually
    due to a hydraulic issue, and the headlights were needed...

Mike

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am having problems separating the half shaft in order to replace the broken steering hardener belt. I removed four allen head bolts (A) that attach the half shaft to the belt pulley. Soaked the joint with PB Blaster and hit it with a hammer and screwdriver all around, but I am not getting any movement and I'm afraid to hit it harder and cause damage. An alternative might be to remove the four nuts (B) that hold the pulley to the differential. Anyone with practical experience that can advice if this is something I should try?
    Ivan

15. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    Ivan,
    I suspect you may need to remove bolt 28 on table 18 to allow the axle to pull away from the differential in addition to removing the four nuts that hold the pulley to the differential flange.
    Paul

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thank you Paul. I followed your suggestion and removed the upper wishbone bolt (#28). I briefly tried to remove the four nuts that hold the belt pulley to the differential and found that was going to be extremely difficult so I went back to hammering on the half shaft hoping that removing the bolt would have given me enough room for the shaft to come loose. After another 45 minutes of hammering and it finally came loose !

My advice to anyone contemplating replacing the steering tensioner belt ... do not do it unless it is absolutely necessary or your rear suspension is already out of the car.

Here are the steps.

1. Index mark the half shaft with paint so that it goes back in the same position in relation to the belt pulley
    2. Soak the four hex bolts and the joint between the belt pulley and the half shaft with penetrating oil. I used PB Blaster.
    3. Remove the four hex bolts that connect the inner half shaft to the belt pulley. These bolts are going to be tight so an impact wrench is needed. The only way I found to get a straight line (using a long socket extension) between the allen head socket and the impact wrench was by removing the brake caliper assembly. You do NOT want to round off the allen head bolts. Take your time and make sure the socket is well seated inside the bolt.
    4. Place a hydraulic jack under the hub assembly and raise it so that the springs are slightly compressed. This eliminates pressure on the upper wishbone bolt which now needs to be removed. Lower the jack. I put a string so that the hub would not flop down when the half shaft comes loose (see photo).
    5. Using a hammer and screwdriver hit the area between the half shaft and the belt pulley. Rotate the shaft 90 degrees and do it gain, and keep rotating and hitting until it comes loose. There are two locating dowels on the half shaft that get pressed into the belt pulley that is causing the resistance therefore it may take some time.

Ivan

17. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Is that the same gear shift knob as on the automatic trans Indy?

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here is that of a 71 Indy on Mobile.de which does look extremely similar though not quite identical if you look closely.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=275227707&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=16600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=16&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&fnai=prev&searchId=4530bc40-599d-7ea9-de09-91131e001411

MK1044 likes this.
  19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks the same as an automatic Ghibli.

Ivan

MK1044 likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Of course most automatic Khamsins after a few early cars such as those mentioned in recent posts had this set up: this is 1264 I photographed at the Oldtimer GP at the Nurburgring August 2009. Steering wheel is aftermarket, not factory.

MK1044 likes this.
  21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It must be more than just the gear shift cosmetic setup since Park is on the opposite end on the early automatic K. I've had experiences with two automatic Ghiblis and the slush boxes were terrible. I thought the automatic on a late Khamsin was actually not bad.
    Ivan

MK1044 likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I must admit I have never taken an interest in auto boxes but I think the early and late slushboxes are from two different brands.

I drove I don't know how many manual K's, a lot, but only one automatic, the spyder 1030 and it was very suited to a cruise along the beach type of driving. Only top speed was quite limited by the US diff ratio AND the top gear ratio but nowadays that is less of a concern.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, the early automatic Khamsins used a Borg Warner transmission later switching to Chrysler TorqueFlite.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Both terrible transmissions, I spent some time with an auto Espada and it ruined the car in my opinion. Stick all the way

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I tend to agree and would never personally consider an automatic but nowadays with speed radars everywhere, heavy traffic an auto becomes an acceptable choice for someone who is not into very fast driving but just wants the cushy Grand Touring experience. Contrary to Lambo and Ferrari V12's the Maserati V8 does not rev as high and is more torquey so the auto box "fits it" better.

MK1044 likes this.