Maserati Khamsin | Page 376 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Please disregard.
    Decided to have them turned and milled from billet aluminum!

2. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Thanks for that, that is really helpful

3. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Had a go at removing the inner wing padded material pieces this weekend. It didn’t go well, the backing came off most of it. I’m sure I’ve seen the material for sale but cannot remember where it was. Does anyone know where I can get some?

thanks

4. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    MIE

5. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    boralogist likes this.
  6. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Achim. Now that was helpful! Awesome upgraded version of my black and white only. I think you just uplifted the K world for many.. I'll not send mine now as yours are more useful. Thank you for sharing!
    Richard

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hallo Achim...

Vielen, vielen Dank!!! These will become very helpful to all us Khamsin owners!

Thank you also Ivan for posting them to your site...

Mike D.

red27, 010, boralogist and 1 other person like this.
  8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Here’s something that could be helpful to everyone. If the owners of original unmolested Khamsins could post good detailed pictures of their engine bays. I’ve been noticing a lot of variations in detail such which parts are painted green for example.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Joe,

I have "only 8755" photos as of this morning so all you have to do is ask.

Photos one and two: AM120-016 taken 2009 when I sold it. the car was original before restoration, in its juice, it sat for years near Fontainebleau in a barn and smelled of mold. This is the fifth production car. It was later restored fully but in gun metal grey.

Photos three and four; AM120-406 the 1200km car. Second highest chassis number of left hand drive Euro cars after the oddball number AM120-504. Originally to David Pardo in Luxemburg who wanted an extra late car it was bought for a very high price years ago by EH in Germany. It has 1200kms only and does not get driven however it was maintained as if it was; this is THE ultimate preservation example. You will notice a non factory addition though:)

I will post more engine bays later as I pick and choose the most original ones.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction likes this.
  10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello All...

One of the things I notice right off is the difference in stickers / logos on the air filter cover..
    Does anyone know what is correct based upon year or some other criteria?

Mike D.

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Mistralovitch!

Hope you are well.

It depends as you say on year and country, I am sure each national bureaucracy invented more and more obligations and hassles but the to cars in my post above are from 74 and 81 or 82...even with MM Cozza, Collina, Orsi and Heywood judging at KHAMSIN CINQUANTA you would not win or lose points on that matter so even less so on any other concours. As you well know Germany tends to impose more rules.

Mexico074 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #9388 71Satisfaction, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Hey Mike - I bet any photo from the model year will do.. :D

I am willing to propose that absolutely no single Khamsin or Bora are identical in the totality of their details... none, nessuno, nada... even from the moment they came off the assembly line.

If Marc offers these examples as representative of the spectrum of 'correct', they illustrate it well - the cam covers, the steering shaft, windshield washer tanks, things that are cad plated vs not plated, green drain hoses vs clear hoses, oil filler necks, sparkplug wires, ignition box location, the fender well finish, metal vs black relays, wiper blades, courtesy light, unknown bracket and accessory between the cooling fans, air intake hose straps... what else.?

... think how "fun" :confused: a place the assembly and supply lines must have been for Maserati between 1972 and 1978..
    - Art

Mexico074 and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Just pay attention to how you will secure the aluminum on the receiver. The original plastic friction fits over the barbs.

14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  15. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yes, I saw this beautiful engine bay on Facebook but with plated steering parts. On my car they are black paint.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The one thing that I’m particularly interested in is which parts are painted John Deere Green? I’ve seen green on the rack on some cars but not on others. Possibly stopped when DeTomaso took control? The picture above is what prompted my inquiry. Notice the placement of the data plates.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  18. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    With due respect---genuinely---to all---this is where we part company!
    This American style rebuild is NOT a "restoration"---it is actually a glib sophisticated resto-mod---destroying the soul of another K.

My K needs hundreds more hours ---400 non-body hrs already spent since I got her last year---to become presentable!
    This, on a 35k all-original 'perfect' rust-free K from the renowned Ian Wade (UK) collection!

Now, my Bora IS just about perfect after 33 years of ownership and a recent, bare-metal paint job in her original color---and can go anywhere in 105/41 F/C weather.
    BUT---she still has the chalk factory handwriting everywhere you look!
    Her soul remains intact.
    That is what it is all about for me!

Just my less than 2 cents.

Warm regards to all.

19. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    The data plates are in the same position on my car. I’ve assumed they were original

20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Nothing strange about the placement of these data plates (on an early EURO car) as far as I know.

See photos below for the green parts on #1028. That's also my idea of how it should be, although a quick scan of some photos shows that there are many Khamsins that don't have that green (anymore?).

21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    In the bottom picture AMLC posted earlier, note how the bottom data plate has been rubbed on
    top of the driver side wheel well (on top of the diamond cover)... Mine is the same! AARRRGGGHHHH !!!!!

Mike D.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    USA only plate. A lot of engine bays seem to have been cleaned with quite corrosive products through the decades, hence color fading including greens.

23. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    For comparison, I offer this original owner, 26k mile, US spec 1977 Khamsin, purchased from Bob Grossman.. Minimally serviced. Still on its original XWX tires. The engine, accessories, cooling system, steering rack - have never been apart... still has dust skirts on sparkplug caps.. has wrinkle paint on airfilter box with no FIAM markings.. engine hoisting bows are placed differently..

24. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005

Attached Files: