Maserati Khamsin | Page 379 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ok who says Italy is slow?! Fabio Collina kindly answered me faster than an F1 pitstop:)

Riguardo le tue domande:
    1) La targhetta rivettata sul blocco motore riporta un secondo numero interno motore, non c'è una nomenclatura da capire......

Regarding your question(s)
    "1) the little plate riveted onto the engine block shows a second internal engine number, there is no nomenclature to understand...."

End of quote.

So just a production reference for the factory, no code to unlock. Consider that, apart of the chassis number, if the car has two numbers: carrozzeria and autovettura (body and car) the engine can have two as well.

boralogist and 010 like this.
  2. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So. For my tag 1001 (number 1?) and my other tags.. Two of three ending in 001

Selfishly, can I infer anything specific from this Marc? Thank you,
    Richard

Ps. Or perhaps I am still decoding where I should not..

I will accept a "no".... and let you rest

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for your acceptance Sir;-) Sorry that is all I can say on the subject as Fabio always shares everything he knows so beyond this it would be speculation;-)

010 likes this.
  4. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Mystery car in Houston?

Found the photo below on a forum in a post from April 04 2018 with this comment: “saw a really nice corvette yesterday”.
    I think the location is 1622 West 18th Street Houston Texas.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

010 and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC well both have that A sticker bottom passenger side of the windshield...but is it the same? Not sure.
    I got the car shown in your post 9455 entered in a 2017 Bonhams auction where Ivan bought it.

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ivan,
    Did you reproduce those stickers?

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #9458 AMLC, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Yes I think the sticker, and the placement of the sticker on the windshield, are the same, but also the yellow sticker on the mirror, and in general the car also looks the same (front bumper etc), and then there is the information (from this thread) that the car was sold around that time and that it stayed in the US.

The sticker on the windshield, that looks like an A, is probably the sticker with the text “vettura in rodaggio nei primi 1500 km” (see detail photo on http://thecarnut.com/Khamsin1224.html) which I think is translated as “the first 1500 km is the run-in period for this car”.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ivan might confirm if he sold it to Texas? 1226 formerly owned by Sam Dibitonto in Reno here photos I took during Maser Miglia 2000. It was not a participant but as a local (and former mayor of Reno no less) he joined the group for dinner when we passed through town. Note his cool number plate:) Funny world; I had just riddena dnd riven with Ivan for hundreds of miles through the desert on route 50 in his silver Ghibli Spyder which is visible in one of the photos, neither of us had ever seen that Khamsin before that day and 17 years later I enter it in the Bonhams 2017 Quail auction for its owner and Ivan is the one who bought it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    It was newer then, but I think it looks better now, with the EURO bumpers

Small correction: it´s not 1226, but 1224. :)

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes of course 1224 Duh sorry, the photos are in my 1224 folder but I stated 1226 because that is Joe's car and I confused them:) Yes 1224 was also a bit sorry looking back then and has had a fair amount of work done since before the auction and then by Ivan.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The windshield decals on the brown car (1224), and also on my current red car (1284), are original. MIE use to carry them, although only the earlier red border version, but I no longer see it on the website. There are images of both the blue and red versions of the decals on my website: http://thecarnut.com/maseratidecals.html You should be able to use these images to reproduce the decal.

Ivan

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Seeing the photo of Sam's brown Khamsin with the silver Ghibli spyder in the background brings back memories. I remember we were exhausted after driving for many hours and getting to Reno, where there was food and alcohol, was like walking into an oasis!

Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi All, I'm in need of some wisdom! I'm in the process of removing the front suspension. It's all out apart from one lower wishbone. The long bolt that goes through the crossmember is refusing to budge. I got it to shift about 5mm but then it decided that was enough. The grub screw is out. It's had heat, WD40 and some gentle taps but absolutely refuses to budge. I could rotate and slide the other side out but not this one... Any ideas gratefully received

15. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
  16. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    If you are asking about item 26 on table 17 in the parts book then the solution told to me by Graham in Australia was to use a slide hammer to get it out. Basically use a set of vise grips on the castellated nut at the front of the rod. The adjusting screw on the vise grips is removed and the slide hammer attachment used in its place and then it should come out with a few blows of the hammer. I used this slide hammer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DMNIS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Regards
    Paul

010 likes this.
  17. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    The tensioner for the belts that drive the air conditioning compressor.
    Regards
    Paul

18. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi Paul, Yes it's part 26. Thanks cfor the tip. I will get a slide hammer and give that a go. Cheers also got the clue on the AC tensioner. Not sure if I can get my part repaired or whether I will have to replace it. Cheers

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Put multiple washers on the end and tighten the nut to pull the rod out. Add more washers as the rod moves out. If the rod does not move try the other end just to get some movement and then go back to the end where the rod can be extracted. The washer's ID need to be bigger than the diameter of the rod.

Ivan

71Satisfaction and 010 like this.
  20. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi, that’s how I was trying, except with ring spanners not washers. The nut ended up stripping its thread. It worked on the first side but the second is well stuck.

21. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if the US Khamsin windshield is tinted? The US brochure says the car has tinted windows. The parts manual (not the US supplement) says the windshield is tinted (cristallo parabrezza azzurrato). If the windshield is tinted, what is the color?
    Regards
    Paul

22. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    71Satisfaction, boralogist and 010 like this.
  23. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I guess the perforated pipes aid in resonance inside the boxes and balance back pressure.. Very interesting. Thank you for this view.

I would like to hear an exhaust guru's opinion on the design? Perhaps it was an early attempt to enhance (or limit) back fire pressure?

24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I would assume the design is related to the thermal reactor header pipes

25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    ...and was meant for BOTH such sets be deleted ASAP!

Nembo1777 likes this.