Maserati Khamsin | Page 398 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
  2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At a minimum it looks to me like a great basis for a complete restoration. Cheesy painted rubber bumpers aside I can't tell if the paint is a real mess up close but the color is OK if not correct. The interior looks like it could be coaxed into a nice driver status but the big question are the mechanicals and that mileage which seems dubious but is it really 9920 or 19920? I don't think it really looks like a 100K miles car but I'm only looking at photos. Probably the LHM will need some replacements, spheres at a minimum, but the LHM system's basic are amazingly resilient. Hard to know if getting it to a driver status is or isn't a big dollar goal.
    Been there, doing that ... crap snow balls. Fair price.

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    A brilliant functional synopsis of DIRAVI, for the interested.
    Paraphrased:
    :)
    Why is the K such a brilliant long distance runner? Two words: DIRAVI. Which stands for "DIRection A Rappel AsserVI." What it means is that for five years the engineers at Citroen had been trying to figure out the trick to steering high-horsepower...cars. The solution partly turned out to be the world's first variable-assist power steering unit, which offered plenty of assist at low speeds, and essentially none on the highway.
    What was actually taking place was that the steering featured power-centering so that if you were to let go of the tiller – even when parked – the front wheels would straighten themselves. Unlike today's systems which actually provide assistance when you turn the wheel, the SM's VARIPOWER system only decreased the amount of locking pressure the centering cam was exerting. What's so fantastic about this setup is that the steering wheel is locked hydraulically from the wheels. Which means that potholes can't steer the car; only the driver can.
    And man, could the driver steer the car as it was just 2 turns lock to lock...;)

71Satisfaction, 010, red27 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9929 Nembo1777, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Just heard from a well informed French friend that the engine of Khamsin AM120-140, one of the cars sold new in France by Thepenier the importer is...in a French owned Ghibli.

Since neither he nor I have any data on this car apart of the initial info from Thepenier
    (delivered 23/9/75 to a Monsieur Brachet in metallic sky blue)
    I have to assume it no longer exists...but hope to be proven très wrong in future.

5. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Hum, not really... The assistance is constant and maximum whatever the speed. Diravi as its name suggests varies the steering return force according to the speed and therefore its centering. Here everything is artificial and does not depend, as with conventional power steering or not, on the grip of the wheels.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Two things I came up digging online:

A nice little photo gallery of the ex Doug Magnon AM120US1046, one of the seven fly yellow Khamsins, all US cars, one of just three known to still be in that color with 1272 hidden in London and 1290 in Holland, it s also the Jay Leno test drive car, now based in Colorado:

http://limitedslip.com/khamsin/

An automatic US car with converted bumpers and US sidelights deleted (with no front side Euro turn signal added yet). Possibly a car that was in Germany or Benelux between the US and now.

https://www.autobelle.it/it/a/Vendo_Maserati_Khamsin_292132.xhtml

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Love it, The Steering Wheel is still on backwards, going on 20 years! I remember telling Doug about it, of course he had a lot of cars to maintain and just never got around to it.

On yellow Khamsins, if I remember correctly #1230 or 32 is yellow. It was the photo car for the Car and Driver cover and some photos in the feature article. My car #1226 was the actual test car. I think the car my be somewhere in Scandinavia or Northern Europe. The last photos I saw it appeared in pretty bad shape.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9933 Nembo1777, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Correct, you mean 1230.

It was bought in Boston decades ago by my Swedish friend Johan who until recently had one of the top restoration workshops in Sweden. It had been owned by a wealthy Iranian in Massachusetts and had an engine bay fire.
    Once in Sweden Johan sold it to Daniel Nordensjkoeld who started restoring it on his remote farm, there were many epic photos online of the process on his blog about 15 years ago.
    Then the restoration stalled and I communicated regularly with him, Daniel was a very nice guy who went to the deepest forests of Finland to photograph bears...but then it emerged that he had a rare debilitating disease and after a lot of hesitation he decided to sell.

In March 2011 I landed in Stockholm, Daniel by then was in bad shape, his coffee was shaking and spilling in his hand, and we -actually I- drove hours south to a small town in the middle of nowhere where he had the car, all apart like a kit in a huge warehouse. I am half French half Swedish but I must admit I felt very lost there and was ready to start a revolution to have wine for dinner, unheard of around there lol but there was ONE bottle of wine in the hotel so no revolution;)

I spent the next day inventorying everything then my UK publisher bought it, to resell it to a chap in Berlin Germany. Unfortunately as far as I have been able informed this man has done nothing at all in ten years and I doubt he will restore it in yellow...if he ever does restore it, which is why I am not counting it as one of the remaining fly yellow cars, it is just a bare shell stripped of paint now...

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    This is a cover that sits at the center of the very rear lower bulkhead, below the plexiglass (between the other two you just finished). But this cover sits higher than the two flanking covers. The top edge of this is against the lower edge of the rear plexiglass trim. I'll get a picture for you. I do not know what is behind this cover.
    Cheers, Image Unavailable, Please Login
    - Art

010 likes this.
  10. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Art. Thank you. We did feel it was from the back.. but could see no reason for it, as it does not hide anything. Perhaps I have different wire routing?

What is its function in your K?

Interestingly, I only have the one hump piece in the trunk (over the fuel line). On the starboard (rear right when looking forward at the back of the car). I will look at more photos with your hint.. any pics are always welcome! Thank you again,
    Richard

11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    My pleasure..
    I don't know what the purpose is in my US 1196.
    Here is a photo of the same area in US Kh 1180.. it has no such panel at all.

Both mine and 1180 are original US Spec, but mine was converted to Euro.

I'll have a look behind mine next week. The owner of 1180 and I traded Khamsins this weekend so I could do some maintenance on his.
    Cheers,
    - Art

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 and 010 like this.
  12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    So, I am working on 1180 this weekend. It's an original under-maintained US spec Khamsin, so much so that it's still on its original WXW's, which is why I haven't driven it over 50mph. There are some detail differences between 1180 and my 1196. Now that I've owned and wrenched on my 1196 all these months, it gets interesting... Both were purchased new at Bob Grossman's NYC dealership in 1976.

Here is a power-adjust driver's side mirror by Vitaloni, and 1180 still has the cap for its driver's seat Up/Down adjust.. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

010 likes this.
  13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The regazzi on the Modena assembly line sure did tighten the oil reservoir restrains down hard..
    .. It is the same on mine - they buckled the oil reservoir. !

14. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Does anyone have a source for a set of sun visors ?
    393 is at McGraths being finished off, but these are missing.
    I need items 14 - 19 on Tav 36.
    Interior colour is light grey.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

15. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Have you asked MIE in Seattle? If you call them directly, they sometimes can "look in the back" and find salvaged parts not listed in their online inventory..
    Cheers, - Art

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have only seen black sun visors regardless of the interior color.

Ivan

17. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Thanks for the replies.
    Started with MIE, quick reply but no parts.
    Tried a supplier of obsolete parts in Italy, but nothing so far.
    Measured a set in a friends car, and yes, they were black.
    I've looked on eBay for similar shaped visors, but not found anything yet.
    I can't believe that they are exclusive to the Khamsin, the tooling for the centre plastic clip would not be cheap.
    Neil.

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    did you contact Campana?

19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Quite honestly sun visors at that time were just cheap POS with a sealed seam and made of vinyl.
    If you absolutely feel compelled to put the same crap back on for originality sake OK but good luck. Perhaps some think leather, cut quite precisely and carefully glued ... otherwise a sewed seam which is obviously much difference may be your only option.

20. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Maieli in Italy does make heat sealed vinyl sun visors for Ghiblis and Ghibli spiders, which were black. Are they similar to Khamsin ones? I bet the hardware is the same so if they are not identical maybe they would make some if you really wanted them.

www.interniautomaieli.com.

there is a picture under the ‘accessories’ tab at the top of the home page.

Regards.
    Mark.

staatsof and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Have e-mailed Campana, also Coppolaoldtimer, waiting for replies.
    Looked at automaieli, they only seem to have the visor part, not the hardware.
    I have enough leather that matches the seats etc, and am happy to go that way and make the visor part..
    If all else fails, I will wait for the winter, borrow a set and make all the metal parts.
    The centre latch I can remake in stainless, instead of plastic.
    Neil.

22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Details from 1180... original ...or not?
    - Air cleaner housing and cover are wrinkle paint. 1196 has a smooth-painted 'FIAAM' housing and cover.
    - Gear shift knob has chrome plated shift pattern. 1196 is all black plastic with recess-embossed shift pattern.
    - The rubber seats in the battery tray may not be original, but they are scissor-cut by hand, not machine made. 1196 had nothing.
    - Original emissions decal on side glass. 1196 has nothing.
    - The rear deck fuel tank access panels appear mounted upside-down. 1196 were the other way.
    - Contents of rear storage cubby: Vinyl storage bag for flat, full size tire. Steel spacer for mini-spare tire. Tool kit in canvas roll bag. Vinyl storage bag with jack and handle.

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    - On both my K's the air cleaner housing is smooth-painted with screened white FIAMM, plus various stickers
    - Both have the emission sticker on the rear left glass (both 1978 USA built)
    - The cover on the fuel tank sending unit access in your photograph is upside down
    - Never seen the tire storage bag before; very interesting. Are you sure it is original?

I will photograph the tool kits and bags next week. If I recall, my tool bags are a darker color. They probably used whatever was at hand.

Ivan

24. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Why would there be a 'full size' cover---per OP---in a car w/out such a spare?
    I also have all else---except this Bora (?) cover!

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I think the full size cover was ordered by a former owner of the car along with as full size rim and tire because he did not want to have to depend on the space saver spare wheel. He was willing to sacrifice some trunk space for that safety. Perhaps the fifth full size wheel is now long gone but still that is my two cents.