Maserati Khamsin | Page 92 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2276 Nembo1777, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    Hello Jacques:

We spoke on the phone once a few years ago.

Here is your answer: during an interview of Mr Cozza on Khamsins for my Registry in his office in July of 2005 he looked at his archives and answered that very question: 335 5 speed, 95 automatic.

Regarding US market cars I thought it was 162 but it is 155 with exactly 100 5 speed and 55 automatics.

of these 100 5 speeds at least 30 are in Europe now such as a 20 year old magazine ad for AM120US1288 on which I stumbled yesterday, a car on which I had nothing, it was then for sale by Jean Guikas in Marseille, black, red interior very good original condition.

Now a question back to you, if you would be kind enough to "send the elevator back". I have been meaning to ask you this for years: I was told that you had a Khamsin parts car, a European one some time ago. Do you still have it, could you let me know (whatever its current condition, even if completely dead) the chassis number and known history? Wit a lot of help and work since 2004 I have been able to trace over 310 cars and I am now facing the more challenging part of the process: the ones that are tucked away or written off.

Thanks in advance,

Marc Sonnery

Maserati Khamsin Registry

2. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2278 Nembo1777, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Graeme thanks for that, actually it was discussed a long time ago in this thread: that is not Italy but the back of BillMcGraths in the UK.

The Khamsin is AM120301, the first right hand drive car which I photographed at Heathmans a great classic car dealership in west London (Putney I think) in 1982 during my first car trip alone to the UK: an incredible week:) Heatmans started a 5000GT for me that day. Here are a couple of slides I took that day: sorry for the horrible quality.

301 was considered a write off some years ago due to rust, the fate suffered by quite a few UK Khamsins.

In other news, this provides a perfect transition for something I meant to post.

Some of you may remember a fantastic 6 part restoration article in 1986 in Supercar Classics: it covered the full restoration of AM120351 which had been left out in the English weather for a long time and suffered badly (as I noticed when I lived there 3 years, in England cars parked outside are damp, never dry, for 6 months fo the year). This was done by Omicron Engineering and was probably the first ever restoration of a Khamsin, just 4 years after the last ones were built.

I contacted Omicron this week they kindly put me in touch with the owner who still has it, he has had it in storage for 10 years and this has prompted him to get it recommissioned and back on the road:)

Additionally he also has emailed me that he would like to come to Khamsin Quaranta with it!

best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Marc

I contacted Oricorn some time ago as I liked the colour of the car but as it turned out is was the same as my car was originally. At the time I didnt like it now I would go with a different colour. I did have it painted in 1993!!!!.

Would like to see some current pictures. I collected all of the articles at the time in supercar classics as reference.

Regards
    Graeme

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2280 Nembo1777, Feb 15, 2011
  6. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Marc,

I'd wondered about that Khamsin restored by Omicron, and over here you can check the status of a car's road tax on the DVLA website. I did a check a few months back after we'd discussed the car via PM and found that it was still registered on that private number plate 200 BOO.

I, as it turned out rightly, assumed that the car was still in the posession of the guy who commissioned the restoration. Shame it's been in storage for 10 years, wonder what the head gaskets are like...

I agree it's a great set of articles that I've kept and re-read many a time. I think it was my introduction to the Khamsin, a car I knew little about before then. If you remember I was trying to track down the colour as I liked it so much and was considering changing the paint on my car. That plan I've now put off since gettiing the original build sheets from Mr Cozza, which show that my car is still in original spec. ( I know you don't like silver....)

Graeme, something I noticed on that build sheet was the radio box has been filled in. However I'm having difficulty in making out what it says as it's a little faded. If I find out I'll let you know for reference. And thanks for sending those photos of the rear deck seal. I'm still working on my fuel tank due to the cold weather not helping with paint drying times. I ended up having the tank chemically stripped and then welded up. Appears to be a weakness where the mnounting brackets are welded to the tank. I had micro leaks from three of the four brackets, I only knew about one before the strip. I also used the tank sealing kit from POR-15, which seams to have worked a treat, hopefully the tank will last a while.

Bal

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Marc...

I was unaware of the article (6 part - 21 pages) on the Khamsin..
    How can I get a copy of this article(s)?

By the way, hope all is well??

Mike

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bal:

long time no speaky:)

yes I remember us discussing that Omicron restored car, 351, it was our chat that prompted me, eventually, to contact JW. I am sure his car will be impeccably awakened from its slumber.

well whatever color makes you happy, not for me to say (I hear silver gets radio active though;-)

Mike:

Hello, congrats on your Ghilbi by the way. Yes I am inching towards finishing my book by late march mid April: much more work than the other two combined.

I will post the 21 pages in successive bursts for you and all....but first you have to do your bumper conversion and prove it...just kidding:)

best regards,

Marc

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2284 Nembo1777, Feb 15, 2011
    Here it is since three of you in 3 separate countries have asked for it like Egyptian revolutionaries I better not fight the wind and relent;-) will post the 6 parts little by little. I was lucky to buy all six issues from the same vendor in Ebay a few years ago, really a standout article series. Obviously it was good publicity for Omicron who did the work and you can tell they went the extra mile.
    Enjoy,

best regards,

Marc

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2285 Nembo1777, Feb 16, 2011
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2286 Nembo1777, Feb 16, 2011
  12. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    #2287 BartvanderWeiden, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

13. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

I couldn't tell from the article, but what year Khamsin is this they restored? And what size engine did it have? 4.7 or 4.9?
    Thanks, Victor

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    According to my humble knowledge all Khamsin are fitted with a 4.9-Liter engine............

Ciao!
    Walter

15. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hey Victor,

Here's the info from the UK Vehicle Licensing website

VEHICLE ENQUIRY Services Provided By DVLA:

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for 200 BOO are:

Date of Liability 01 01 2012
    Date of First Registration 14 04 1977
    Year of Manufacture 1977
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 4930CC
    CO2 Emissions Not Available
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Export Marker Not Applicable
    Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
    Vehicle Colour RED
    Vehicle Type Approval

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
    6 Months Rate £112.75
    12 Months Rate £205.00

So it's a 1977 which is what I remember it to be, I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the article as it has the earlier seats.

Marc,

I've been reading all of the posts that have been coming up, just not had much to add to the good info already on here. My car's engine rebuild is still progressing as it's not a prime job (to help with the costs). Should have been on the way back together but my guy has been taken ill recently, so the job is a little behind. Mind you the weather is not so nice anyway and I'm not in the league of drivers hinted at above to want to hang the tail out too much. Good luck with the book as I sure a lot of are awaiting it's release. If anything like Walter's book I'm sure it will be a good read..

Bal

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #2291 au-yt, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Hi Marc

Thanks very much for posting the set of articles from Supercar Classics. I am missing the body restoration article, what date/ Number is that article in and whats on the front cover of the Magazine please?.

Regards
    Graeme

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2292 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2011
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2294 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2011
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2295 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2011
  21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Marc...

Thank you for posting the articles!!!! I have not had a chance to read them yet
    as I am travelling for business this week... But I do know the time you took to get
    this info to us all and just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate it!

Keep us up-to-date on the book!!!

Mike

P.S... Change out my bumpers??? I will need a lot more convincing than
    what you have thrown at me so-far!

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2297 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2011
    To catch up:

Bart: thanks for the astute tips.

Graeme: all of it is now posted here.

Waltohorf: as W mentioned all Khamsins were 4.9 without any exception as confirmed to me by sign Cozza a the factory. One element of interesting trivia is that the Khamsin is the ONLY Maserati model of that era to be made exclusively with the 4.9 as every other V8 equipped model existed as a 4.7 or even as a 4.2 and even the 5000GT series was not entirely 4.9 as one or a few had smaller engines.

A nice and unique pedestal for the K!:)

Bal: hope your mechanic does not die on you and promise the book will weigh less than the engine:).

Mike: glad you are enjoying these articles. Regarding your bumper conversion I will recruit a covert team and we will surround your Kentucky estate to conduct operation bumper storm:)

You must be the last of the Mohicans still with the garbage truck appendages and remember that Gandini told me he was horrified when he discovered the US Khamsin look -just a few years ago- so there is no valid excuse to hold on to them: they do the car a huge disfavor as it looks like a Bricklin with teenage skin problems.

Anyway your resistance will be worn down, I am like the tide;-) and remember I have no commercial stake in the bumper kits. It is for the good of the cause.

best regards,

Marc

23. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    I too still have the lovely original US bumpers. I do have a set of the euro style from Maurice but have not been able to do the transformation as yet.

Which reminds me, I looked but could not find the post on the person(s) parting a Khamsin. I'd like to locate an original rear glass section for the tail lights that has the Maserati logo in the center. I have the plexi one that comes with the retrofit kit but a proper original would be so much the better. If not available can the Maserati logo as used on that piece be reproduced on plexiglass?

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2299 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2011
    Hi Doug:

Unless I am mistaken you have the ex Khawam white car?

Funny that is the one Gandini saw when Maurice invited him to a show in L.A.! He was as horrified by the sight as he was impressed by the performance riding in it that day, he had not been in one for 30 years.

Regarding the trident in the rear glass you may have been misled by Bart's car, 1142, which has had that etched by its previous owner, Mr Lipperts. It is not original....but before Bart shoots me with a "van der pistol" I will admit it is very nice:) I have no etching expertise on any material, sorry, hopefully someone else here does...

I am sorry to say I don't know of a Euro rear glass off a parts car, 204 here in Europe had it broken in its crash.

Perhaps someone else here has one for you.

Godspeed with your conversion and let me know if you have any questions.

best regards,

Marc

25. 1Hurthutoy15

1Hurthutoy15 Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Hi Marc,
    I had a Khamsin parts car 14 years ago.I don't recall the chassis number.All I can remember is that I purchased the car in Florida.It was a factory euro car painted yellow withe a parchment interior.I sold the engine,trans and sub-frame.Unfortunately at the time the car wasn't worth much so the chassis was sent to the crusher.
    Jacques