Maserati Maintenance | FerrariChat

Maserati Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by vancoops456, Aug 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    #1 vancoops456, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tried to search for this thread but came up short. Please redirect if repost.

I am interested in the maintenance cost for the late model Masers. It is a bit off but I am interested in one for the wife hopefully in 3-5 years. The warranty is good for 4/50,000 but I will probably purchase one 2 or 3 years old when I am ready.

Any thoughts?

Pic included for your viewing pleasure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Van,

The Maserati is a very cheap car to maintain especially under warranty. The maintenances which are scheduled at 6k, 18.5k , 32k, 48k each cost in the range of $700-1,500. Other cost you will endure is the clutch, most people seem to have to change it from 10-25k miles but a few people have been able to get 50-60k miles out of it, it all depends on the way you drive. This cost roughly $3,000 labor included. Last cost you may have to endure is the Cambiocorsa pump, this is usually covered under warranty but if not you will endure the cost of roughly $2,200 labor included to change it. They tend to go out every 25k miles.

Other then that very solid cars, highly recommended as I've owned one personally and deal with other owners on a regular basis.

Regards,
    Kevin

3. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Great Car. My girlfriend and I are in love with the GS Sypder. When she gets it, I guess I will drive it when she is not around. LOL!

4. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    #4 vancoops456, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Appriciate the response. Sounds more like the maintenance schedule of a Porsche than of a F-Car. She'll probably get the spyder with the F1 box, (Doesn't drive a stick too well). Is the F1 in that car clutchless?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    All F1 systems use the clutch. To get the most out of the clutch avoid parking on hills and backing up frequently.

6. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    or....... look for a 6 speed

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

What could cost $700 - $1,500 in maintance after only 6k or even 18K?

Joe

8. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Most of my maintenance costs for the regular service has been about $350-400 range.

The Clutch was about $ 3,500. at 18,500 miles approx.

Tires had to be replaced at about 18,000 as well along
    with alignment.

9. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The scheduled services are mainly fluid changes, check ups and replacements of smaller parts such as filters. The dealers tend to vary on their prices as I've seen up to a 40-50% difference on service invoices by different dealers for the exact same work done. Working on these cars is a bit more time consuming than some Ferrari's. Such as changing the air filter, etc. The small things are a little harder to do hence the reason for somewhat of a higher labor cost in the service.

Here is another maserati forum and in this thread owners have put their personal experience and prices on what they paid for services.

http://www.************.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1240

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I take it that was the clutch in the CC not the standard shift 6 speed?

11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I myself have an eye on an early model Coupe w/a manual tranny or a 996 Porsche. I know that they are 2 different cars, the Maser more GT and the 996 a classic sportscar but the Maser has more room and damn that Ferrari engine noise is intoxicating, plus the Maser is much rarer.....

Anything I should be aware of of the early manual tranny cars?

12. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    I have an '02 Coupe GT (prefer the shifter to the paddles). Shifting into second gear reminds me of my older Ferrari shift habits. But I actually like the quirky feel. Others don't. (let them buy a Lexus)

I have 13K miles on the Maser and a million smiles..... I wish I could write more..... But frankly, the car was designed to be a reasonably reliable driver, and I think Maserati has accomplished that with the 6 speed's. Sorry about the CC issues.

I would not mind finding an '02 or '03 triple black spyder GT to match the coupe.

Last bit of advice, make sure the car is the color you want, then drive it, and enjoy it.

13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

i agree completely about the color. i remember the first porsche i ever bought. it wasn't the color i wanted (maracino cherry) and i spent many sleepless nights standing in my garage trying to convince myself i liked the car despite of it's color.

cheers.

joseph

14. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    One more thing... make sure you have someone you trust work on the car.

The mechanic who services my Ferrari, also services my Maserati.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have a 2002 Spider Cambiocoursa, which was one of the really early ones. I spent about $400 or 500 on the first service at the 7.5 mark. I did the 18K service early at the 16K mark and it cost me $1500 or just under. So, my total maintenance costs have been about $2,000 in 6 years and about 17K miles (I would drive it more buy I travel a lot). I put a battery in it from Sears costing $150 and 2 new front tires for about $500 because they were cracking. That's about all I've spent on it total.

I have not had to replace a clutch or brakes. However, the dealer replaced the clutch at the 6K mark because I was having a problem with the trans (a lot of the early ones had similar problems). The dealer upgraded system to 2003 specs (software, actuator, clutch) under warranty. Since the changes they made, the car has been flawless. I use the top down every time and it never stops or fails to engage. It starts every time, the AC works perfect, and the interior is markably rugged for something made of natural materials. Interestingly, it has never dropped a bit of fluid since I've owned it.

The only weird problem I had with the car was that I could not shut off the alarm once. That was in the first couple of months of owning it and the dealer picked up the car and fixed it free.

I had the dealer put a Tubi in mine and the sound is incredible. It's a bit loud but my big problem with the original exhaust was that it was too quiet. The total cost including installation was $3500. The tubi exhaust looks a bit meaner too sticking out the back.

As to color, I choose the dark silver with a reddish Tabacco interior. People really love it. But, I also love the tan interiors I've seen also. Personally, I don't think this car looks good in red or yellow but that's a matter of taste of course.

There is noticable cowl shake over bumps. But, the car does not squeek or rattle. My understanding is that 2004+ cars have strengthening to help with the shake.

I don't know much about the stick shift models. I heard it feels a bit rubbery but that may be an exaggeration.

All in all, this has been a really fine car. It's fun to drive, reliable, and very attractive. Depreciation is an issue but if you're buying used, most of that is already taken into account.