Maserati mc 20 vs 296gtb | FerrariChat

Maserati mc 20 vs 296gtb

Discussion in '296' started by Tsachi458, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
    I'm really debating between Maserati and Ferrari
    1. Maserati has the following advantages: carbon chassis, more elegant and classic design, motor without the electric power unit, cheaper price
    2. Ferrari has more powerful performance and of course the brand is more leading. what do you think ?

tomgt and FIN612 like this.
  2. Yan-Alexandre

Yan-Alexandre Karting

Dec 15, 2016
    Not so sure about the cheaper price. First, the Ferrari has carbon-ceramic brakes which cost a bit.
    Then, depending of your market, you have to pay a huge emission tax buying the Maserati the 296 should avoid.

So the price is closer than its sounds...

FIN612 and Tsachi458 like this.
  3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    mc20 is the more unique car imo

4. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    The sound was worse than expected on the MC20, meanwhile the 296GTB sound (at least what they're feeding us so far) exceeded expectations. That aside, as a complete package, the MC20 does seem more bang for the buck, and I can't wait for the comparo test that undoubtedly we'll see. I get the sense from the Ferrari Corporate brass that the 296 will be very fun and playful to drive, they keep saying "go kart handling".

j09333 and Tsachi458 like this.
  5. Killavata

Killavata Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Killavata
    #5 Killavata, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Ferrari. 296 has only bad part - shape of the side window,a-pillar.

Mc20 is a junk. I don't see a design there. Just a fugly blend car.
    I'd take the upcoming c8 corvette hybrid over the Mc.

Dela, rsch and FIN612 like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What about the rumored Alfa ME V6. Is it on its way?

7. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I disagree. The MC20 is an amazing car and I love the design. Full carbon tub, gull wing doors, F1 dual combustion chamber engine technology, simple gorgeous interior, and a fantastic price relatively speaking. I’m guessing this car will be a home run for Maserati. All the production sold out in days. I’m lucky I got an allocation. I have one on order and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Regarding the 296 GTB, I think it is a beautiful car too, but I am more old school, and I am resisting electrification as long as possible. I’ll post a full review as soon as I I get it. But I am anticipating that it will be a very positive review.

LARRYH, boralogist, Makuono and 5 others like this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #8 TheMayor, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    There are several main differences

1) complexity. The MC 20 is far less complex. If you are worried about reliability, the MC20 should be more reliable (should be!)
    2) performance: The 296 will certainly outperform the MC20. But by how much? Aside from a little turbo lag I bet they are pretty close.
    3) purpose: The MC20 is more of a pure sportscar. The 296 is more of a refined GT.
    4) cost: The MC20 should be cheaper by a fair amount. There are fewer options to buy as well
    5) resale: Ferrari has traditionally held value while Maserati's haven't. Then again the Maser will be cheaper
    6) style: I think the Ferrari looks better but the Maser is more exotic looking. Neither are ground breaking though.
    7) electronics: The 296 will blow the Maserati away in this department if you car about that stuff.
    8) parts availability: If the car needs to be repaired, most likely you'll get replacement parts faster with Ferrari than Maserati
    9) exclusivity: If you want something few others have, the MC20 will be far more rare than a 296
    10) cool factor: Hard to tell on this one but the Ferrari name is hard to beat. Still those doors on the Mc20 are show stoppers.
    11) obtain-ability: I don't know but it might be quicker and easier to get an MC20 than a 296. Why wait years?
    12) intangibles: which do you see yourself lusting after more?

For people to be seriously thinking between an Mc20 and a 296 or Hurrican just goes to show how good the MC20 is.

Boomhauer, Makuono, dsd and 7 others like this.
  9. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Those who like to drive will buy an MC 20, others the 296 .

boralogist, Nembo1777 and rob5819 like this.
  10. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    +++
    but *2) Ferrari two times faster. Like 458 vs 488.

13) Interior: Ferrari much better

rsch likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As I said the 296 is more of a GT, the MC20 more of a pure sportscar. So the MC20 has a simple, no nonsense interior where the 296 will be more luxurious / well appointed.

12. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    You gotta love that huge mouth on the front of the Maserati, no doubt they took that from the MC12, and it is all Maserati! No mistaking it for another brand.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually from the Birdcage concept car. You can see a direct relationship between the MC20 and the Birdcage 75
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  15. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I love the 296. Equally, the MC20. I’m probably not going to buy a 296, but that is just me avoiding electrification as long as possible. The MC20, my order is in and can’t wait. As for all the Ferraris I have owned and driven, I think the 430 Scuderia is the greatest road car Ferrari ever made. The rawness and simple styling, it is an unbelievable experience to drive. My favorite part, the transmission. The mule kicks in the back and speed of the shifts, awesome. The noise, that stock exhaust puts out scream that no other car I experienced can. I have a 16M, and that car will NEVER be sold.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sending you a PM

17. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
  18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The Maser just looks more smooth and delicate. The wheel arch rim is thinner, and the bodywork drapes nicely over the car more naturally. For all their similarities, it strikes as a more thoughtful design IMO. A design that was insistent on being both functional and beautiful, where the 296, and everything from Ferrari for that matter, insists on function first, then looks. That trident and front end in general is just bangin too

Nicky_Santoro and boralogist like this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I like the styling of the MC20 better everywhere except the scoop/Ford GT-like rear wheel haunches area. The CF tub and swan doors are also appealing. Look forward to independent driving reviews.

boralogist likes this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What are you talking about? Lol. Absolutely ZERO of Ferraris literature has billed this car as a “refined GT”. Fun to Drive to me says super sports car.

x z8 likes this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh please...gimme a break. The 296 is as "raw" as a well done steak. I didn't say it wasn't going to be fun to drive. Its just loaded up with luxury stuff the Maser isn't bothering with.

22. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    MC-20 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and top speed 202 MPH, that’s plenty fast in my book

boralogist and TheMayor like this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Have you driven either? Of course not. Neither have I. So what do we have to go off other than the advertising briefs. And I never said the Ferrari will be “raw” but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to drive. GT isn’t it’s technical briefing. The Maserati won’t be raw either.

x z8, Gh21631 and Mickyd329 like this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #24 TheMayor, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    I said MORE of a sports car and LESS of a GT. I never said the Mc20 was another Alfa 4c.

As I have said maybe 1000 times here... people say they want "a sports car" but what they really want is a sports GT. Ferrari understands this probably better than any other maker on the planet. Therefore. the Ferrari will easily outsell the Maser.

But if you want something with more of an edge to it, its the Maser.

All you have to do is look at those silly touch pad display "buttons" on the wheel of the 296 and you'll understand what Ferrari is trying to do with this car.

Nicky_Santoro and -K1- like this.
  25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nothing suggests that the 296 is a GT. No mid-engine Ferrari is a GT; they are too edgy and loud for that.

x z8 and RamsHmb like this.