Maserati mc 20 vs 296gtb | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati mc 20 vs 296gtb

Discussion in '296' started by Tsachi458, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Agree. I have owned a 458 and 488 and while both were very usable they are completely different animals compared to my Roma, GTS and other GT cars. It will be very interesting to see the different driving dynamics bw the maser and 296. While I appreciate the Mayors view, having owned masers I could so this as a sheep in wolfs clothing. Not the knock that it sounds…just that it may be more refined than the package let’s on. With that said, I could be totally wrong too.

Mickyd329 and REALZEUS like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Judging by the reviews, the Maserati is a great sportscar. The Ferrari should be nothing less though.

ingegnere likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #28 TheMayor, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    LOL! NOTHING?

Ah, the English language. I never said it was a GT. I said the 296GT (umm, what does the GT stand for again?) was MORE of a GT than the Mc20 with all its luxury add ons and weird touch buttons they also put in the Roma.

They also put in the ROMA. A pure GT. Touche'.

And alas, no mechanical tach anymore -- like the ROMA. It has a giant TFT screen that can give you Apple Car play directions to your nearest Starbucks. But its not "a GT".

Ferrari knows its market really well. Make it too hard core (too hard to get in and out of, too difficult to drive, lacking modern comfort features, too uncomfortable to sit in for more than an hour, too little storage space) and some people won't buy it because its-- duh! -- "too hard core". Its why they sold 500 360 Stradale's and 18K 360's.

Now if you want loud, listen to a 360 Stradale going down the road. Inside you might want earplugs. That car is loud. The 296GT will be creeping into your garage whisper silent in full electric mode to not wake up your neighbors.

But don't call it (it being the 296 GT) a GT!

Nicky_Santoro, -K1- and haroonok like this.
  4. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Until we get to drive both cars, I don't think anyone can make judgment on which is a GT car and which one is a sports car. Until then it's all speculation.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

I am sorry but what you are saying makes no sense. What do screens and analogue tachos have to do with a car being a GT or a sportscar? Formula 1 cars don't have an analogue tacho, I guess they must be GTs then. Being hardcore/sportscar is in the driving, not the fripperies. Nowadays even a GT3 RS has screens and is loaded with equipment. There is no reason for a hardcore sportscar not to have amenities. BTW, the Maserati has more or less the same creature comfort, it is just a bit less flashy. What matters though is how they drive and that has nothing to do with their screens (the Maserati has a digital dash also...).

PS: Ferrari uses the GT(B) nomenclature in order to distinguish between sportcars and prototypes/single seaters. Even the 488 race car is referred to as a GT in their literature. Nothing to do with a GT as we know it (long distance cruiser).

Napoli likes this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    296 GT

/ END

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    296 GTB, but I explained to you what GT means in Ferrari-speak. Take a look at this: https://www.ferrari.com/en-GR/competizioni-gt/all-series Do they look like Grand Touring cars to you? The END.

PS: Same nomenclature with Porsche GT2 and GT3. You don't seem to get it though...

x z8, Napoli and 350MH83 like this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL... ok. Let's just ignore why Ferrari names their cars the way they do.

9. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    296gtb no brainer. It looks so beautiful and refined. It completes the semi retarded look of sf90 which looked incomplete.

Mc20 on the other hand, looks like a retarded brother of mc12.

Veloce12 likes this.
  10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I love the styling of both cars, but if I were to keep the car long term I think I would go with the MC20 because of the lack of hybridization.

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    FWIW the GT in 296GT is probably more a callback to the Dino 246GT than anything else. No one would call the Dino a GT car. I think it's a stretch to consider the 296 a Grand Touring car like the Roma, 812, and other front engined alternatives with considerably more luggage space and fuel capacity. It's just a heritage name, continuing Ferrari's liberal use of their naming conventions. Not really something to read too much into.

12. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    MC20 OFCOURSE

Makuono likes this.
  13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    carbon tub, no hybrid, maserati brand and a prefer the styling ( really can't stand the corvette rear lights on the sf90/296)

-K1- likes this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The Mondial would like you to cut back on your drug use. No one has ever called it edgy or loud.

The TR also qualifies in the opinion of a lot of folks.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  15. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Corvette c2, c3, c4, c5, c6 - four round taillights. And you want four round taillights so you don't look like a corvette.

x z8 likes this.
  16. AliPaPa

AliPaPa Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Well said. BTW I have a 4c looking to buy a 296.

Used to have a F430 spider years ago, and a Maserati QP (which I blown the engine at 70k km...) the QP was one of the best car i have ever owned (when it was running with no glitches)

I want to wait till dealership to offer me test drive before i place my order, simply don't want ending up with a Ferrari mid engine Sport GT like you mentioned. I would rather get a 812 if I want a cruiser, just to own a brand new v12 Ferrari before they go to limited edition only

Slicknick, neth and TheMayor like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 296 is not a GT/cruiser and nor is the 812, for that matter.

SVR, john Owen and willcrook like this.
  18. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Whilst up at Monterey on the weekend the Maserati drive past me in the street.

Fark Me! She is a gorgeous car!

Very impressive on the road.

May the Horse be with you

19. Ward201

Ward201 Rookie

Jul 4, 2020
    Totally agree, I just can't find a good angle on the mc20 design...

20. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    https://fastestlaps.com/models/maserati-mc20

Quattroroute tested it.
    0-200 in 9.6
    Little bit faster than 458
    But slower than 488

Vairano track time between 458 Speciale and Mac 570s

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Wait, I thought Ferraris weren't about "numbers"...:)

Tony91505 and Gh21631 like this.
  22. daro82

daro82 Rookie

Oct 24, 2020
    Bought my first Ferrari last year. 2019 488. Love it. I believe it to be a beautiful car. I went into the dealership looking for an F8 Spider. Not being that familiar with Ferrari, that was impossible. So I bought the 488 in hopes of eventually getting an F8 Spider later on. Wanted to order it early on but I am just now ready. However I recently read that they are no longer taking orders for the spider? Don't know how true that is but if it is, it may be my exit from the Ferrari brand.

My sales guy is selling this 296 hard but to my eyes, it is not very sexy, attractive, appealing. My initial impression was that it looked old. Reminded my of the beautiful Lamborghini Miura, a car I love but the 296 is not an updated version of that it's just lackluster.

Now, after looking at it for a little while, I am beginning to notice some subtle elegance that I can appreciate but my sense is it is off by a few percentage points. Just not there.

I feel like I would need to see it with black rims and a good tint. OR the spider. If the spider can fix the missing bit of sexiness then maybe I'll buy. Otherwise, MC20 with its scissor doors and its understated but MODERN (a half decent infotainment screen) interior is looking like a good option. Of even lambo evo spyder.

Used to be a big fan of Corvette, not c8 though, but z06 looks good but after having a ferrari, I don't believe I can go back to corvette.

If I can't get the F8 Spider and if the 296 Spider isn't sexy enough, MC20 or lambo evo it is.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Dihedral or farfalle (butterfly) doors, to be precise. Different to scissor doors.

24. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Are these two cars the same basic car like a Regal and a Cutlass back in the day?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 296 and the MC20 you mean? No, they share nothing whatsoever.