Maserati MC20 Cielo | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20 Cielo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Jonathan19, May 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The MC20 engine is significantly different from that unit used in the Ghibli III.

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    please note who designed that engine and where it was built.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I hope so.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #54 tbakowsky, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    The V6 in the Ghibli is based on the Chrysler v6..it uses the same block. The v6 in the alfa is the Ferrari designed unit. The diesel Ghibli is the Chrysler engine as well found in the jeeps..

Yes Masersti did indeed use Ferrari engines in the past..I think since 2002 or so..

Here is what will be for future engines in the Maserati's

https://moparinsiders.com/the-new-era-of-maserati-engines-is-here-meet-nettuno/

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The modified Chrysler Pentastar block is cast at Chrysler’s Kokomo, IN plant with Ferrari personnel assigned to the project. The raw blocks were then shipped to Maranello for assembly.

An issue with the engines were primarily related to metal shavings from the machining process being found in the oil. Maserati blamed Ferrari, Ferrari blamed Chrysler. The price Ferrari was charging Maserati for the engines was exceptionally high. The cost of the Alfa Quad. While based on a Ferrari engine, it is not assembled by Ferrari is considerably less.

There has been a lot of animosity between the 2 companies that got worse after the Ferrari IPO, accelerated after Chrysler personnel took over Maserati, and became worse after Marchionne died. There were also issues related to the paint on GranTurismo, which were painted in Maranello. Hence the announcement of Maserati’s new paint shop in Modena.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Has anyone gotten an allocation and ordered their Cielo ? My dealership said they can’t get any updates from MASERTATI

10. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Yes, I ordered one and paid a deposit. My dealer is in France.

I wanted the Aquamarine colour but it is not available for not primaserie cars (all sold out from day one). At least for now. It might change in a few months

wbaeumer, willcrook and Jonathan19 like this.
  11. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    I placed my order back in August 2022. I am still waiting ..... Rumor mill, the Cielo production will start Late Feb 2023

wbaeumer likes this.
  12. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I ended up with an allocation for a primaserie and my dealer just confirmed it’s being produced right now and available for delivery in 3/4 weeks.

Juli and red27 like this.
  13. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    My Cielo is a custom paint color through the Fuoriserie dept. My dealer said that there were supposed to start production of all MC20 in Late February. So, my guess is as good as anyone right now. I am holding my breath that I get to see it being built in early May when I visit the factory. If any one in this group has any info on the production of the Cielo, please share it.

willcrook and Jo Sta7 like this.
  14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Just encountered a mechanic rebuilding one of these Ghibli engines. Rod bearing failure. Confirmed the Chrysler Pentastar logo is on the block in 3 places, but that is where similarities end as the main bearings and all block seals in general are entirely Maserati/Ferrari, and the aluminum grade is different. I don't expect any manufacturer to retool for a 100% new motor when there already is a block in existence that shares 80% of what is necessary. If anything, far more is shared with the Ferrari F154 engine than anything Chrysler

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm on the list at my dealer and they told me don't expect to see the car before 2024. So that's all I have.

16. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    After a few phone calls today. I finally got word that my Cielo will be at the dealer in OCTOBER 23. This is moving target but at least I have an idea when to expect the car! Image Unavailable, Please Login

wbaeumer, Nembo1777 and TheMayor like this.
  17. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    I contacted Maserati today to see if they can modify my Cielo order by removing the Maserati word on the trunk of the car.
    There are enough logos on the car. Plus the font Maserati look's a bit dated

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...would you do that also on a Ferrari???

19. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Walter, I understand the sensitivity of the topic. I do not wish any disrespect to you or anyone on this chat or Maserati.
    This car has been created from the ground up with so many efforts from the designer to engineer to make this new car a turning page for Maserati.
    Thus the reason why I am involved with the car. The MC20 is simply amazing, I simply love the shape and the lines.
    It's not over the top, no big wing affair.

Now, why do they choose an old dated logo font from the GranTurismo?
    They could of very well made the logo more discreet?

I must also add there are 10 logos on MC20, The grill, the hood, the side tonneau, the headrest, and the wheels....
    It's not needed, it's a personal choice, and when I am paying 368,000. I think it's ok to ask

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Have you count the logos on a Ferrari etc.? The Ferrari logo is much older than that of the Maserati (bzw. - you are wrong: the Maserati logo/name you showed on the photo dates from the 60s/70s!).
    Driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini or...Maserati is a statement! If you want to live discreet, then you should buy anything from Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc., etc...

Not sure, if Maserati will accept to take-off of one of their main logos...

21. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Walter,

Many modern cars no longer fasten logos or script with studs and nuts through holes in the body of the car due to concerns of providing places for future rust development. Those logos may merely be glued on and if that is the case then there is a spray that neutralizes the glue and the logo comes off. I'm not sure it the Cielo falls in that category but if it does the owner can easily remove any logos he want without the help of the factory.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Elliot,
    he may do so. But I am pretty sure, that the factory will not do it...

23. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Walter,

I am in total agreement with you about the factory deleting logos. The only modern car I know of that will take off script for a car is Mercedes Benz as they will permit you to delete the AMG scripts on the E AMG wagon so it looks like an ordinary wagon. I know this because when I ordered my last AMG wagon, it was a no cost option. Quite frankly, I wanted everyone to know what I was driving and didn't even think of doing it but I could understand that in certain countries where the tax people will run around to see what people own but don't declare your might want to make you car as plain as possible.

wbaeumer likes this.
  24. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Pretty sure I've seen logo delete as an option on several cars we've bought over the years- at least the option to delete model names/ type etc, if not the manufacture's logo/ all logos necessarily.

Wouldn't dream of taking the logos off my old masser- they are too perfect!

Interestingly, I walked past a parked Audi R10 parked near my house today- no Audi logo on the front. Although of course that could have been an aftermarket job...

wbaeumer likes this.