Maserati MC20 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    My dealer here in San Diego had a showing last October. Orders were due by the beginning of December. I thought Maserati was doing 1,200 total MC20 coupes with 400 for the US. I would imagine deliveries around September and possibly unveiling the convertible at the same time:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

We loved it in person, but passed on the coupe. Waiting to see the convertible. Obviously the pandemic and related chip shortage could delay everything.

Rob

F2003-GA and 71Satisfaction like this.
  2. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #304 BJK, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    F2003-GA, Merak1974 and Pawilly like this.
  4. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm really surprised they are this far along. Its interesting they drop the engine and gearbox in "old school" style from the top. Everyone has gone with dropable subframes for more than decade.

If they are only going to make 6 a day, then production is like 1200 to 1500 a year. I wonder how many they think they can sell?

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #307 BJK, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    I'm guessing less than that. There's a lot of competition in the space (now and coming) and they've been out of the 'supercar' space for a while. People have moved on, and their recent history is, meh.
    What is their 'gotta have it' feature/spec? Why will someone buy this over a Ferrari LB, McLaren Artura or Porsche 911 GT3? Price? $2-250k ?

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Or Corvette C8 Z06 coming out.

Its a cool car but if you're going to spend that much, wouldn't you rather have another brand that probably devalues less and is easier to get service for?

F2003-GA and BJK like this.
  8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Has anyone seen a convertible version?

How does the top work? Are the doors still scissor-opening?

Matt

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I have read and been told by my dealer they were building 1,200 coupes the first year. My local Ferrari/Maserati dealer had eight allocations and they were all used.

TheMayor likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My guess is they will copy the SF90 convertible top format.

wbaeumer likes this.
  12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    MC20 over the F171 is the carbon fiber tub. MC20 over McLaren or Porsche? It's much better looking. We saw the MC20 coupe last year and it was gorgeous, but we passed on it and ordered a Portofino M for my wife (Rosso Portofino parked next to my Rosso Corsa 458 Spider).

We kind of still want an MC20 when it comes out in convertible, that's how good looking it was.

13. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Simple.
    For the same reasons people who march to their own beat chose a Bora over the Countach/BB/Pantera etc.

Not long to wait now!

BJK, TheMayor and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1000 there are sheep who all choose the same and then there are those who think for themselves and buy something different. Maseratisti are the contrary of sheep:)

boralogist likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There has to be a marketing reason why they are making this. Making 1200 cars won't make Maserati much money for all the investment. I'm all in favor of a Maserati rebirth but I want to be assured this isn't a one trick pony. Maserati has made so many mistakes in the past 15 years after having so much promise.

I love the brand. I love the history. I love their legacy cars.

But I hate their current line of products. There isn't one car I would even consider owning today in their existing line up. For an Italian car enthusiast, that's pretty sad.

BJK likes this.
  16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    But can a company succeed just marketing to the contrarian sheep. It's not like they made lots of money with the Bora and Khamsin. They moved a lot more Meraks.
    I don't think Maserati quite knows what to do. They're "Let's be the Italian Mercedes/BMW/Audi" has quite worked out just yet. Maybe the MC20 will help, it does nothing for me. The proposed Alfieri was dead flat gorgeous and I beleive will always remain a sorely lost opportunity. The MC20 will not go down in the historical design books as anything special.

I really like the look of the soon to be departed Granturismo. I drove the Levante S and I found it quite lovely to drive and it looked OK for crossover SUV. I wish it were a reasonable option for us but it's not. The Ghibli sedan (argh what a bastardization of that name) sound really decent and looks just OK. There are several of them in my complex. You always know when they're starting up. But the design certainly doesn't inspire like the Granturismo (Kimberly Guilfoyle) does. The QP visually is an overweight Ghibli. They don't have a BMW M3 type car, that's Alfa and I'm not sure how well Alfa has done ...

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

It’s been mostly overlooked and I haven’t seen many reviews, take a look at the Ghibli III Trofeo. 590 HP

Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well their website lacks a lot of details and it is slower than the M3 equivalent version. I suspect most guys looking for something like that will opt for the BMW.
    It's not something I'll ever drive so my opinion isn't all that important. Besides I already settled for a run of the mill crossover Lincoln MKX which will serve just fine and won't cost an arm and a leg to begin with or to keep it running. But it's no substitute either except in functionality.

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, I absolutely agree for the current product line. So the MC20 is the first new Maserati that I like (although I believe that there will be soon some facelift modifications on the front of the car) since 15+ years.
    I can only hope that they don`t miss the beat as this happened in the last 10 years!

TheMayor likes this.
  20. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I’m ordering an MC20. I have a positive prior history with Maserati and I like the MC20 styling. I’m wary of big depreciation exposure on the car so I’m going to minimize options. I think a nicely spec’d car at around $240k is decent value for a CF tub, mid engine, dihedral door Italian sports car.

If you’ve looked at the MC20 options list, what items do you think are important for resale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane100 and Ferraripilot like this.
  21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Is the factory shut down?

Can you get one built and flown in? Or are they just stopped by the pandemic?

Matt

22. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Are you ordering an MC20 Coupe? If orders are still available that would make it sound like they did not fill all their earlier allocations (I thought orders closed in December). I know the price is high, but the external carbon fiber (2ZC $35,000) looked great in person.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I’m ordering the coupe.

My dealer is a fairly large dealer in a big market and they got only three coupes allocated in the first allocation grouping. They’re projecting production in Oct and Q1 2022 delivery. They had been hoping for June ‘21 production on my car but that’s pushed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Congratulations, it's a great looking car. We saw it in person in October last year. San Diego Ferrari/Maserati had eight allocations with orders due by December. I'm guessing production has been delayed and pushed backs so more allocations have become available. We were waiting on the convertible version, but my wife saw the Portofino M in March and we put an order in. Still interested in the MC20 convertible, but absolutely no idea when it might come out. Please update as you hear about the timeline for your build.