Maserati MC20 | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    After reading and watching all the reviews so far their descriptions seem to trend in the same direction, I've come to the conclusion it's more NSX than Ferrari in personality. In other words, it will not be a "sense of occasion" type of car. If you ever driven the new NSX you'll know what I mean, it does everything well, but it just doesn't get the blood flowing. Now I'm open minded as cars have surprised me before, there are cars where the journalists opinion is not my opinion, so I still look forward to driving the MC20 to see for myself. It's look, it's tech, it's chassis all tell my senses it will be special, so if it drives more GT like than out and out sports car, it will be a conflict of perception vs. reality.

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I suspect it will be like a Bora vs. a Boxer. Slightly less performance, but more refined and more usable.

Pawilly and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It seems more of a sports car than the 296GTB

-K1-, boxerman and boralogist like this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    and a Porsche GT3RS is more of sports car than the MC20:p

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    We do not discuss Stuttgart piggies here, verboten!;-)

Besides they have about as much charisma as my accountant's calculator.

It is not just about numbers, it is about the overall experience and Italian cars, particularly around Modena, ooze it whereas certain other cars are just overrated appliances.

wrh3, -K1- and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Maybe, but its no lighter and its longer, so the difference is one of CF tub(MC20) vs More power, more immiate response and shorter wheelbase(ferrari).

Course were hoping maserati does a lightweight version. Something like 600lt besides the turbo lag.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I will posit that a Gt3 Rs may not have th styling, but its drive experience will be superior to either Italian and amore base Gt3, its got stick and a NA motor. If ferrrai made an Italian car with the Gt3s drivetrain pec it woudl be heralded as the second coming. These days the porche even have wishbones for the front suspesion.

Put it this way, if the ME cayman GT4rs sports the new Gtr3 front suspesion and a real Gt3 motor, it will be a zenith swansong for Ice powered cars.

F2003-GA likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its more than performance. Its in the way the car interacts with you. All those Ferrari touch pads and interior controls. The Maser is simpler to use aggressively and is less worried about storage and such. The Maser has no "pure electric" mode for cruising through London legally.

Its set up more as a true sportscar while the 296 is more of a GT. And for that, probably the 296 will attract more customers. People say they want a sportscar but what they really want is a sporty GT.

Here is what's funny about 388 / F8 owners: "There is no turbo lag! There is no turbo lag!"

Next: "Wow its awesome the 296 will have no turbo lag!"

boralogist and boxerman like this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Lol, no turbo lag.
    But yes in practical terms if they get the software really right the electric asissit with the low down tq could eliminate the intial low rev delay and lack of precision inherrant (to various degrees) in a turbo setup. 296 is still 2wd, they didnt go for the cop out by adding electrics to the front wheels, so theyre is still potential driving purity, altough eps. Still I sense the technical solution on the laferrari whereby the electrc is a Tq asisst flywheel would be best in terms of respose/feel, but then no electric only mode for european cities. Weight seems to be the 296's biggest hinderance. Its wheelbase is significantly shorter than the masers, and thats a big plus. So overall hard to say whter it will be more Gt or more hardcore, seems you can buy 2 versions right off the bat.

The maser from what I've read is not particularily light which is a pity for a cf tub, a little long and more Gt. I suuppose 4ws like porche or lambo does could make for a shorter hweelbase feeling and they can prob loose much weight on a non Gt version. Personaly I love the looks. Hope it works out, because this car does what no Maclaren does looks great.
    Seems like in the 250k price range there is a the Mc20 and the Huirricane, which begs the question why ferrari. If the 296 is hoping to beat them based on badge and tech/acceleration, it will be another dimunition of ferrari, theyll still sell every one though.

Were seeing hr future in that 10 years from now its likely to be all elctric, the points of differentiation will not be powertrain then.

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I know someone on Fchat who bought an MC20 for $244K all in. That's a good 80 grand less than where the 296 GTB starts. Most will probably spend around $380K all in for a GTB.

80 grand is 80 grand. Both are toys. I'm sure both are fun to drive. The question is will the resale value fall 80 grand in one year for the MC20 because we know the Ferrari won't -- unless they seem to be horribly unreliable.

I do like the Maser's twin plug system. In effect it has 12 cylinders. 6 pre-combustion and 6 primary. Today's F1 cars use the same method.

3500 GT, Ferraripilot and F2003-GA like this.
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

the Ferrari wont fall 80 grand in 1 year for sure. But theyre not so production limited these days and 5 years on when its superceded the hit on the ferrari could be more than the masser, mind you massers have horrific value retention.

The Mc20 is an intriguing car, lets see where they take it.

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its interesting about Alfa 4c's. They fell probably like most Alfa's in the first 4 years -- then prices went up when they stopped making them. Sales in the last year were terrible. Now in the resale market, they are selling more used than new.

Its possible a limited production car like this if exotic enough could fall then rise. But the Ferrari will just stay where it is until a replacement comes along.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    8C’s are much worse!

Matt

TheMayor likes this.
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lotus elise is the same.
    Look at the BMW 8 series from the early 2ks the that llooks like an etype, or the more recent gullwing mercedes.
    None sold really well, then went out of productsion and are worth significantly more now. Limited focussed cars that truly stand out in some way dont have broad appeal, theyre also not repeated. If if they have something special/umnique about them be is spec, styling, performace or all of the above, then they have fanatical following and those who couldnt get one new bid up prices. But you cant con real enthisiats, so a maclaren mercedes is still stuck.

the Maserati. so far its more Gt car, cooll as it is it dois nto really stand out in any area yet. Lets see where they take the platform with some limited versions, right now its make as many as w ecan Gt car.

Right now, then the hurrican 2wd evo goes out of production, the last hard charging NA mid engined exotic, prices will rise, its the last of abreed in many way, from powertrain to unrestrained looks etc.

In the elise 4c mold a Gt yaris and new alpine, they rise too once theyre gone.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    MC20 arriving at Boardwalk. Must be touring the country.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    At the instigation of Mayor i read up more on the Mc 20 and watched the fo4rts you tube vieos.
    There seems genuine enthusiasm about this car from the first reviewers.
    That the suspesion is designed by the same perspon who doid the A;fa Gulia is a great sign, as that car is benchmark excellent for its actegory and this one is reputedly better.

I like that the interior is simplistic/functional. 3300lbs to the extent that IItalian weight quotes relate to relaity is reasonable. Its described as most reminding like a more refined faster lotus. The suspension and steering may welll be the class leaders.

Personaly really like the looks. However despite the spec its to me still too much of an older gentlemens car, an italian upscale take on what the corvette does, a Gt.. The motor may deliver, but even from the videos its clear that its voice is muted Gt. What makes a speciale, or Hurricane evo so appealing is theyre angry more edgy young mans type cars. We'll see what other versions of the Masser come out like. Its clear the potential is there.
    Soem say they were hoping the 296 would have been withpout the electrics and 200lbs less weight. The Mc20 then is that car, expet it probaly looks better than a ferrari, has betetr steering and mr composed suspension. They just need to give it a little more magic.

For the same money today I would take a Hurricane evo 2wd despite it being a generation behind, cause the motor truly sings and the whole car has an exotic manic madness about it, its also well honed and fully developed. . The MC20 risks falling between two stools, being a jack of all trades and a master of none. Still its just ver 1.0 we're looking at, and for that they hit the nail on the head. If it holds up(alfas now do) and they develop it a little further it looks to be the choice, no hybrid, Cf tub, relatively simple well honed acomplished, and looks great.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Back from Varano, the circuit near Parma in Italy.
    A group of Maserati enthusiasts drove and "tested" the new MC20 (most of the esteemed drivers "rolled" the car more around the circuit...). Unfortunatey we were not permitted to use the CORSA- or RACE modus. So only COMFORT. All cars there we pre-series cars!
    After 2 test laps I took the car almost flat out which was not very easy on this very technical and short circuit.
    What I liked most:
    - for me the car feels smaller as it seems on photos.
    - it was very agile in corners!
    - gearchange is fantastic!

Rolling in corners in the COMFORT-modus was almost (!) non-existant. So I am looking much forward to drive it in the CORSA- and RACE modus.
    Even corrections in high speeds in corners did not impress the MC20!

What I did not like:
    - the engine sound is OK but not on Maserati "standards". I was told that in CORSA- or RACE-modus it will shreek as it should be!
    - the brakes are very good but I personally missed the break "point" of pressure.
    - steering is light and OK but I miss the more "mechanical" feel of it. But this is today with all modern cars.

So I am now on the potential buyer`s list for the Spider-version!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pawilly, F1tommy, AtSomePoint and 5 others like this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The MC20 has the same 8 speed Tremec gearbox as the Corvette C8. I have a C8 and I agree, this box is really, really good. I'm sure they made some changes to adjust to the MC20 but the box will be basically the same. And that should make it also pretty dependable as Tremec will make over 100K of these a year for various cars, including a 7 speed version for the Mustang 350 GT

Thanks for the write up. I'm also interested in a Convertible.

21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    All of this worrying and doom and gloom over the “20”, critical neurotic speculation. This thread has all of this hubris of what Maserati isn’t, or should be.

The MC 20 is a really stunning, well defined, and advanced well enough to check all the boxes; not for everyone, but for me it does. So I’ll try and buy one.

I’d you’d rather have a Ferrari, then please buy one.

I’ll take the Maserati, thank you.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have to say its too bad they didn't stay with this rear tail light idea from the original clay...

Marketing people always screw up the best stuff.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

wrh3, -K1-, Ferraripilot and 2 others like this.
  24. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    TheMayor and Pawilly like this.
  25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Pawilly likes this.