Maserati MC20 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #101 TheMayor, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Yah I agree with that. It has the same Tremec DCT that's in the Corvette C8. So I guess that gearbox wasn't made "In Modena". :)

I'm still curious if the body is all CF. I think its SMC like the Alfa. If it were aluminum they would have said so. If the body is all CF, then that might explain the price. The Alfa 4c chassis, also a Dallara engineered piece, is built in Naples. So is laid up in Modena?

I doubt you can see much of anything out of the rear with that plexiglass with the "Maserati logo" cut into it. So it has the same rear camera mirror as the C8. I haven't tried it but some don't like the camera mirror as its distracting or disorienting.

There's really too many unknowns on this car. The lack of specs in "their launch event" was pretty disappointing.

2. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I like it overall, but it's a Maserati and depreciation is going to be big, people can deny it but that is the reality.
    With a $210k starting price I think they are off the mark ,IMO they should have came in around $150k base, but hey for those early adopters have at it.
    It will be an interesting buy as you said when its about 2 years old.

pearsonhaus and 500tr like this.
  3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I am a Masi guy as well, and have owned a new '13 GTS and currently own a '17 MC Cabrio shown in the first link. I'm selling it, but now on the fence, since this MC 20 will create a lot of hype! I might wait till the wave has crested or keep it, cause it's the last N/A V8 that will be in a Masi, which is the same F136 block that's in my '14 458. Have you all seen this video?! WOW, what an looker and glad they put this out there. Also, the is probably the precursor to the V6 that will be next gen after F8.....

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/aec55322552941f698d3162d3195a7a4/albums/0489f082841a4afb8807973bcde68c5f/assets/656c35912468764c895719408246c26d
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob5819 likes this.
  4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Nice selection in cars. We also have a Maserati Gran Cabrio and Ferrari 458 Spider. My wife took one look at the new MC20 and told me we would be ordering one at some point.

Sargepug likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    anyone know what the 'dual cast' brake option means? its separate from ccm brake option. no further info on website

6. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Brembo introduces the second generation of the dual-cast floating brake disc made of two materials: cast iron and aluminum.
    The second generation of the dual-cast brake disc is an alternative to the “classic” version already available on the market, improving the fluid dynamic efficiency and therefore reducing the operating temperatures, thanks to an optimization of the drag and ventilation geometries.

This disc has many benefits: weight reduction by about 20% (compared to an integral disc of the same dimensions), greater comfort, reduction of corrosion and wear and better performance of the components.

A fundamental characteristic of this type of disc is the cast iron braking band and the aluminum bell, which combine the advantages of the way cast iron performs at high temperatures with the lightweight properties of the aluminum.

The innovation consists in the way the two materials were combined into a single component and in the performance of the disc itself; in fact, it is an integral disc at low temperatures and it performs as a floating disc at high temperatures, when top performance is demanded and the disc tends to deform.

The dual-cast brake disc also meets the need of drastically reducing weight, combined with an improved braking feeling in the most extreme uses and an increase of resistance to fatigue at high temperature.

This allows for a significant reduction in transitory and permanent thermal deformations. The former occur typically while braking, when the disc reaches high temperatures; the latter, on the other hand, are the leading cause of vibrations in the vehicle.

ypsilon and 95spiderman like this.
  7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so sounds like 2 pc rotors with aluminum hats that have been around for long time already

8. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #108 boralogist, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    ....The innovation consists in the way the two materials were combined into a single component and in the performance of the disc itself; in fact, it is an integral disc at low temperatures and it performs as a floating disc at high temperatures, when top performance is demanded and the disc tends to deform.

95spiderman likes this.
  9. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    MC20 is stunning IMO. Puts current Ferrari line up to shame - kind of reminds me of F1 currently.

How is Maserati and Fiat able to produce a stunner like the MC20 in just 2 years while Ferrari keeps warming up the same old recipe for over a decade? Jeez the SF90 and F8 STILL using the old 458 chassis dating back to 2009. And charging $$$$ to any sucker who will sign up.

If Ferrari put out the MC20 with cavallino emblems on it they would charge well over $500K for it......

MC20 will sell very well, as it is A LOT of car for the money. Can't say the same for any current production Ferrari, sadly.....

duke744, willcrook, Merak1974 and 2 others like this.
  10. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Well, the MC20 has the same price tag as a F8 if you choose some options the F8 has (rear axle option, ceramic brakes). Both have the same weight. So you miss 110 hp.
    Very nice design, but the doors are nonsense. All in all much too pricey.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    That’s not even close to accurate. The Tributo’s base price is $60k or almost 30% higher. You can’t configure a max optioned MC20 and compare that to a no option Tributo and call them even. Ferrari targets at least $50k in options in their builds and I’d guess the average F8 is right at that, maybe higher.

I think you’ll see a lot of MC20s with MSRPs of about $240k - I’ve looked at the configurator and the US options pricing list. In practice I think we’ll see the avg Tributos with MSRPs of $100k more than the avg MC20. Many people will prefer the Tributo even with that price premium, but the car’s are not price equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    the base price of a F8 is about $250, isn’t it. At that base price the car has all you need and especially all the the MC20 has on board, and a lot more as ceramic brakes and so on. So I do not see your point.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    mc20 is priced to equal a porsche tts or mac 570. 720, f8, evo are all step up in price. maserati is taking the place of audi r8 imo. its a winner

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That would mean the car is a failure. This is the problem with an expensive Maserati, people have no confidence. With the MC12 it was enough of an extreme super car to avoid that. Perhaps with the limited production and as yet to be determined performance over 2 years they can get past that?

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    To bad that it has holes and dimples instead of slots.

16. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    No. F8 base price is $276k. If the F8 is good enough with no options, why is is the MC20 not? Do yourself a favor and go check out the MC20 configurator. I think you’ll be surprised how well equipped the base car is. I’d argue easier to avoid the options on the MC20 than the F8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer and boralogist like this.
  17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Make sure to let Brembo know:)

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you raced you'd know why. They sell them both ways for a reason.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Did you get the Corvette?

20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #120 boralogist, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Talk is cheap. Anytime:)

Furthermore---today's best RACING discs are carbon fiber.
    They are NEITHER drilled NOR slotted---over & out!

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK so you don't know anything about racing. Got it. Explains a lot.

22. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    :rolleyes:

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Think just a bit about what happens to those round holes when brake pad material accumulates in them from heavy braking loads on a circuit. On a car such as this I'd go for the higher end braking package anyway but I bet there will be plenty of them out there with the more traditional aluminum/cast iron rotors and WO slots unfortunately ... :( They "look" prettier and purposeful.

24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    you’ll never see a base F8. They may take the order, but it will not make production until the product cycle is winding down. At least in the US all new ordered cars must include a minimum $ of options or the selling dealer will lose a percentage of their holdback margin.

boralogist likes this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    NürScud and WilliamB like this.