Maserati Mexico front grille colour | FerrariChat

Maserati Mexico front grille colour

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by The Surveyor, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Guys, a little guidance needed...

I have sent away the chrome grille surround and headlight trims of my 68 Mexico for re-chroming to make sure the front end looks perfect and nicely original. I've even bought a new bonnet badge to replace the over-polished original!

Whilst everything is out, i want to repaint the front grille insert but have seen some bright silver, some flat aluminium and some in satin black. Can anybody confirm what the correct finish is for the grille?

Thanks all.

Paul

2. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Paul,

the original one i am trial fitting right now on my Mexico is bare aluminium, i will just polish it. No colour or chrome applied whatsoever.....

3. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Thanks Mike.

I would assume it had a clear (silver) annodised finish originally then. The chrome will be away for a good few weeks so may look to see if i can get the grille refinished back to original.

I did get it soda blasted before which left in nice and clean, but looking a little 'dull', hence the silver/grey mettallic paint it currently has.

Cheers

Paul

4. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    My 1969 mexico's grill is still original. It has a matte gray paint over aluminum.

BUT - i had a spare grill from a 1967 mexico parts car that was painted black. I believe this also had its original paint. But then you never really know for sure. I don't think i've ever seen a black grill on period photos or brochures.