Maserati Mistral thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Maserati Mistral thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Serenissma, Jul 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    I have a used steering wheel from a QP1 in for restoration at the moment. It was supposed to go into my Mistral, but the former owner found the original one, so I will be restoring that one as well and use it. The QP1 steering wheel will be for sale as soon as it is restored.

2. gerardogras

gerardogras Rookie

Nov 22, 2007
    it is an early mistral with 16inch wheels. i think it had the QP1 style steering wheel.
    let me know when you have it ready. are the harmonic balancers for 3,7l engine available in europe?

3. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I have an early steering wheel for the Mistral and the chrome vacuum pipe for the Fuel injection. Please contact me via email if you wish to pursue. The harmonic balancer can be rebuilt. There are several companies in Hemmings that can do it

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Does anyone know of an available rear hatch glass for a Mistral coupe? And a S5 17 gearbox? Helping out a friend. Thanks

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Alain and Ursa Major...

Any recent updates on progress to your Mistral projects??

Mike

6. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    #131 Ursa Major, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not much news, I am afraid.

I received the body shell from the paint shop two weeks ago, and this is the current status. I am now waiting for some parts to be back from another shop and then to start the reassembling. All parts are either new or have been refurbished.
    Sadly there's a lot to do at work at the moment, but hope to get around when the parts are coming back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Oooh, looking very, very nice!

Who's taking care of the engine, suspension and interior jobs? Or are you doing those on your own?

8. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    Hi Mike,
    Nice to hear from you.
    As I reported her (post #119), I have one more italian mistress. I am doing some minor jobs on the Fiat Dino in order to go through the swiss technical inspection.

Consequently, I have not worked on the Mistral from last December now.
    I hope to finish the scraping of the floors, underbody and wheel passages during the following weeks.
    I will post some pictures in my thread as soon as it's done.

Alex, your body looks beautiful.

Alain.

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Alain / Alex...

Good to hear from you both..

Alex: the body looks beautiful!
    Alain: I understand, the Fiat Dino is a gorgeous car with a very, very nice color..

I have several projects in the fire right now as well. Namely a Ghibli SS, a QPIII, and very
    recently a Biturbo engine issue, which started as a head rebuild but may end up being
    a complete engine overhaul.. I have also been contacted to perform some consulting
    work with my old company..

Always remember, some progress, no matter how slow, is still progress!!!

Please keep posting to keep us informed. I am watching your work for when my time
    comes!

Mike

10. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    I am using a restoration shop for the engine, gearbox and interior. All of this is now finished, they are now working on the lucas injection before testing the engine.

The front suspension, steering and rear Salisbury axle have all been sent the same way, and I hope to get this back soon, as this is where we would like to start the reassembling. I can post pictures as soon as I receive something.

At the moment I am about to send the Borranis off for restoration. The car now owes me 105000 USD, not including all hours spent myself, so restoration does not come cheap.. Hopefully I will be able to drive the car to France in September, but to be able to do that I will need to have more time available...

Anyone going to the Retromobile in Paris next week? It seems I, very convenient, need to go to work in Paris next week, so I am hoping to come to the Retromobile the evening February 4, and daytime on the fifth.

11. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Was planning a trip to Paris in Feb to meet customers, unfortunately it's been postponed due to other jobs.

Enjoy, post any pics you get!

12. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    We are coming to Paris on 03. Feb., 4. Feb. visiting Retromobile and later RM Auction, leaving 05. Feb.
    Anyone looking cars on tuesday evening at RM Auction?

13. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I just took a look at the Artcurial auction on February 6, 2015 and I was amazed to see that with premium and taxes, a 3.7 mistral sold for almost $245,000. I have no idea what shape the car was in but that is an amazing price for a Mistral coupe. If that is the new norm, then restoration of my Mistral to a very high state is certainly worth the effort. Mind you, I was planning to restore it to factory new anyway so the price for the recently auctioned one isn't really important to me but my goodness, what a phenomenal jump in value. It certainly seems like prices have gotten somewhat unrealistic in the last 18 months. I wonder what it will take to see a drop in prices for limited production vintage vehicles as opposed to the very special vintage cars that have really unique significance or racing history. Those type of automobiles should remain high no matter what due to their very special nature.

14. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    Hi Elliot,
    I was in Paris and had the opportunity to look at this car during the exhibition.

-The "Argento Auteuil" paint (its original color) has been redone without dismantling the windows, with overspray on the rubber seals.

- The upholstery color has been changed to beige (it was originally navy blue).

- The engine compartment and the underbody were not detailed.

- The chrome of the window frames was lightly pitted.

All in all, that's a non original car in driver condition. I am amazed by the price.
    But if you look at the other results of this sale, you'll see that almost all were very high. Pehaps the result of the presence of international collectors interested by the Baillon collection?
    Ivan Ruiz did very well with his Spider Vignale too.

Alain.

15. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Hi Alain,
    Sorry I did not know you were there. I can sign to the observations on the Mistral coupe and add that all bushings looked cracked and no good. Nice driver at a premium price.

(to me the A6 1500 body and the Frua A6 were the absolute highlights of a brilliant venue).

16. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Thanks for the report on the Mistral. Alain, how is your car these days? Hopefully I'll have the Bora done this year so I can start on the Mistral. Unfortunately, for the Bora, it seems like two steps forward and one step back for everything that needs to be done. Overtime we work on something, a new solution for the upgrade, i.e. engine cooling fans interfering with the motel luggage compartment fan cover, needs to be worked out. Thank goodness the Mistral will just be a straight restoration to factory original with no modifications. It should be faster and simpler than the Bora.

17. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Obviously, the only Mistral in my country has been sold to USA, and is currently advertised with Gullwing Motors...

1968 Maserati Mistral -

Shame, I hoped that someone locally will accept the challenge of buying and restoring it.

18. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    What was the chassis number ?

19. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
  20. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    #145 dmj, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Thank you. I remember this car on eBay.

22. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
  23. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I am looking into the Mistral as a lover of Frua designed cars and as a QP-1 owner. I have a couple of questions for you. I have read that the early cars has alu body and later in steel. This particular car that I am interested in is a - 68 car but appears to be alu since the magnet doesn't stick. How come?
    The interior is original but it seems like the door cards and the area in the trunk is covered in vinyl as is the transmission tunnel and dash. On the QP-1 the dash is vinyl but everything else is leather. Do all cars have this much vinyl? For the QP-1 we have the wonderful tipo107.com website but I have not found anything at all regarding the Mistral. Did I miss something? How many of the 828 coupes were 4.0?

24. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Thank you for the compliments for www.tipo107.com
    Only Series 1 Quattroporte like yours have door cards in leather, series II are vinyl as well.

25. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    My Mistral had leather in the doors ans tunnel, Dashboard in vinyl.
    Mine is a 1966 4000 and in alu. As far as I know, most, if not all, were alu.
    I do not remember exactly at the moment, but I believe about 250-300 cars were 4.0.

I Guess I know what car you are looking at, I heard a original Swedish car was for sale.